Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Forgive me if this has been asked, I did search but could only find things on whether it was ok to have a tattoo and be a nurse. I really want to finish my sleeves but don't know how I would be able to do it while on placement/work.
    If you got a tattoo done on your lower arm during your placement periods or after you begin your nursing career would this affect your ability to do your job?
    Since it is essentially an open wound and the NHS has a "bare below the elbows" policy it can't be covered by sleeves and is open to the environment and at risk of infection. How would you care for a fresh lower arm tattoo as a nurse when at work?

ReputationRep:
    Are you currently a nursing student?
    If so, there's not a problem with getting tattoos etc as most nurses will have them.
    However, you need to work out when is the best time to get one if it is going to be on your lower arm.
    Ideally, so it during the holidays or when you're not on placement so it doesn't affect you in regards to infection control as you have said.
    Many wards may have inspections and will ask to see the staff or observe for their adherence to infection control procedures.
    As you may know, hospital acquired infections (hai) are relatively common and you need to be careful of protecting yourself as well as the patients.
    Try and wait and do it when you will not be in the clinical environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i've come across a lot of psychiaitric nurses that have them- sleeves.

ReputationRep:
    many patients are elderly & find tattoos a bit intimidating ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    many patients are elderly & find tattoos a bit intimidating ?
    I've come across a lot more patients that are unwilling to be cared for by someone other than white, than I have that are intimidated by tattoos.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Cactapus)
    Hello,
    Forgive me if this has been asked, I did search but could only find things on whether it was ok to have a tattoo and be a nurse. I really want to finish my sleeves but don't know how I would be able to do it while on placement/work.
    If you got a tattoo done on your lower arm during your placement periods or after you begin your nursing career would this affect your ability to do your job?
    Since it is essentially an open wound and the NHS has a "bare below the elbows" policy it can't be covered by sleeves and is open to the environment and at risk of infection. How would you care for a fresh lower arm tattoo as a nurse when at work?
    You've answered your own question really. You would likely be sent home as this is a large open wound which would put both yourself and your patients at risk of infection during the healing process. You would not be able to take part in any clinical tasks because of this risk.

ReputationRep:
    new tattoo below the elbow = holiday or theory block

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.