Cactapus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,
Forgive me if this has been asked, I did search but could only find things on whether it was ok to have a tattoo and be a nurse. I really want to finish my sleeves but don't know how I would be able to do it while on placement/work.
If you got a tattoo done on your lower arm during your placement periods or after you begin your nursing career would this affect your ability to do your job?
Since it is essentially an open wound and the NHS has a "bare below the elbows" policy it can't be covered by sleeves and is open to the environment and at risk of infection. How would you care for a fresh lower arm tattoo as a nurse when at work?
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you currently a nursing student?
If so, there's not a problem with getting tattoos etc as most nurses will have them.
However, you need to work out when is the best time to get one if it is going to be on your lower arm.
Ideally, so it during the holidays or when you're not on placement so it doesn't affect you in regards to infection control as you have said.
Many wards may have inspections and will ask to see the staff or observe for their adherence to infection control procedures.
As you may know, hospital acquired infections (hai) are relatively common and you need to be careful of protecting yourself as well as the patients.
Try and wait and do it when you will not be in the clinical environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ham22
Report 4 years ago
i've come across a lot of psychiaitric nurses that have them- sleeves.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
many patients are elderly & find tattoos a bit intimidating ?
deviant182
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
many patients are elderly & find tattoos a bit intimidating ?
I've come across a lot more patients that are unwilling to be cared for by someone other than white, than I have that are intimidated by tattoos.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cactapus)
Hello,
Forgive me if this has been asked, I did search but could only find things on whether it was ok to have a tattoo and be a nurse. I really want to finish my sleeves but don't know how I would be able to do it while on placement/work.
If you got a tattoo done on your lower arm during your placement periods or after you begin your nursing career would this affect your ability to do your job?
Since it is essentially an open wound and the NHS has a "bare below the elbows" policy it can't be covered by sleeves and is open to the environment and at risk of infection. How would you care for a fresh lower arm tattoo as a nurse when at work?
You've answered your own question really. You would likely be sent home as this is a large open wound which would put both yourself and your patients at risk of infection during the healing process. You would not be able to take part in any clinical tasks because of this risk.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
new tattoo below the elbow = holiday or theory block
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (39)
14.94%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (84)
32.18%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (31)
11.88%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (22)
8.43%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.36%
I think it's an unfair expectation (68)
26.05%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.15%

Watched Threads