Turn on thread page Beta

Which Muslim-majority country is best suited to occupy the role as the Muslim worlds core state? watch

• View Poll Results: Which of the following country is most suited to act as the core state of he Muslim world?
    Iran
    22.22%
    Saudi Arabia
    22.22%
    Egypt
    5.56%
    Turkey
    33.33%
    Indonesia
    16.67%

ReputationRep:
    In Samuel Huntington's widely praised and bashed book 'The Clash of Civilization', he argues that the lack of a 'core state' in the Muslim world is one of the reasons why the Muslim world is relatively more turbulent and unstable compared to other civilizations. A core state is the leading state or states that stand for and defend the given civilization. The position of 'core state' in the Western world is obviously played by the United States of America, in the Orthodox world, by Russia, South Africa is regarded as the 'core state' of most of Africa and etc.

So firstly, bearing in mind factors such as religion, geography, ethnicity, history, military might, history, economy, population and etc, which Muslim-majority country do you think is most suited to develop into the core state of the Muslim world? Bearing in mind that this country must be either actively or passively accepted by the rest of the Muslim-world as their 'core state'.

Also, would the establishment of a clear core state of the Muslim-world act as a calming influence on the rest of the Muslim-world?

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as a muslim, let me tell you there's no way in hell I would accept the legitimacy of such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Speaking as a muslim, let me tell you there's no way in hell I would accept the legitimacy of such a thing.
    Wouldn't you like a dominant Muslim-majority country which the rest of the Muslim world could turn to in a time of emergency/need?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1.9.8.4.)
    Wouldn't you like a dominant Muslim-majority country which the rest of the Muslim world could turn to in a time of emergency/need?
    I don't even know where to begin with that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know where to begin with that.
    Why not egypt? After all, they have Um Kothum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)
    Why not egypt? After all, they have Um Kothum.

and that's probably the strongest case they could make!

ReputationRep:
    No one would voluntarily nominate a core state, I suppose any Muslim country which can somehow advance into a decent sized world power would automatically become that core state.
    Personally, I believe the idea itself is quite absurd and pretty much unattainable due to the (unfortunate) divisions among us Muslims( mainly shia-sunni, but there are loads of others too).

ReputationRep:
    Turkey is the most able and most likable, as a non-Muslim westerner.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like it to be Turkey, but in reality it's almost certainly Saudi Arabia.

ReputationRep:
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    I'd like it to be Turkey, but in reality it's almost certainly Saudi Arabia.
    Don't you think Saudi Arabia is far too pro-American to be the core state of the Muslim world? If in the near future, the Saudi Royal Family is overthrown and replaced by some sort of religious Assembly endorsed by the majority of people, then I think Saudi Arabia has a chance. It is after all the geographic and spiritual centre of the Muslim world.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think Saudi Arabia is far too pro-American to be the core state of the Muslim world? If in the near future, the Saudi Royal Family is overthrown and replaced by some sort of religious Assembly endorsed by the majority of people, then I think Saudi Arabia has a chance. It is after all the geographic and spiritual centre of the Muslim world.
    Precisely. I think the fact that it contains Mecca "atones" for almost any level of cosying up to the Great Shaitan.

ReputationRep:
    Not that I'd vote for them, and I agree with DDF, but its interesting that you picked Indonesia but left out Pakistan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soc)
    Not that I'd vote for them, and I agree with DDF, but its interesting that you picked Indonesia but left out Pakistan.
    You know, right after I created the poll, I was like 'damn! I should have included Pakistan'. Although, for the past two weeks, I've been hearing numerous people refer to Pakistan as a 'failed' state, so perhaps it's not a huge to not include it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    Why?

Essentially, because no government or individual is qualified for the role, and with the current crop of candidates, it could be quite detrimental were it to become yet another tool of oppression (which is quite likely).

Look at the candidates in that list, for a start, Iran is N/A since it's not workable for a Shia (10%) state to be the core for sunni (90%) peoples. Plus it's currently in the formative stages of a cold war with the the Arab states, particularly Saudi.

Indonesia is the most populous, but in reality it doesn't have the standing for the role. It doesn't have the institutions, political weight or historical cache to be a serious candidate.

Turkey obviously not.

Egypt has al azhar, which lends it some credibility, but over the last century or so, this instiution has lost some of its influence to the Saudi religious schools. Furthermore, the main challange to the puppet dictatorship of egypt comes from the Muslim Brotherhood.

Lastly, I can't imagine anything worse than this role being held by the House of Saud, not only because they are hypocritical, corrupt, treacherous sponsorers and instigators of terrorism who are subserviant to the US, but also because they head a country where wahhabism/salafism is the state religion. Frankly, you might as well hand the keys to the Ka'aba over to the anti-christ.

If there ever transpired such a state, it would likely be Saudi, because of their oil, their historical significance, the spread of wahhabism and the close ties between the Saudi princes and the US administration.

Whether we intend it or not, the state chosen would be taken to be the de facto voice of Muslims and the de facto representation of Islam or Islamic government, and that's not good. We have enough trouble convincing people terrorist are acting out of the bounds of Islam. Last thing we need is Saudi Arabia to take the mantle of 'core state'.

ReputationRep:
    for the past two weeks, I've been hearing numerous people refer to Pakistan as a 'failed' state
    Then they're talking rubbish. There's a big difference between "troubled" and "failed".

ReputationRep:
    Turkey obviously not.
    I know you despise Turkey for some reason/s which I still do not know, but why do you dismiss Turkey as a candidate so quickly? Even you cannot deny that they do have the historical advantage. It was practically the core state of the Muslim world for hundreds of years till the collapse of the Ottoman Empire.

ReputationRep:
    I know you despise Turkey for some reason/s which I still do not know, but why do you dismiss Turkey as a candidate so quickly? Even you cannot deny that they do have the historical advantage. It was practically the core state of the Muslim world for hundreds of years till the collapse of the Ottoman Empire.
    I've got nothing against Turks as such, it's more their government policies, especially their treatment of Kurds.

Turkey has very little credibility in the Muslim world, particularly because of things like it's suppression of Islamic rights like Hijab. The unfortunate thing is that Turks are more religious than their (literally) militant secular institutions would portray to outsiders. Turkey is often thought of as the least religious muslim country, I don't think that's the case, but the government certainly go a long way in feeding that stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    I've got nothing against Turks as such, it's more their government policies, especially their treatment of Kurds.

Turkey has very little credibility in the Muslim world, particularly because of things like it's suppression of Islamic rights like Hijab. The unfortunate thing is that Turks are more religious than their (literally) militant secular institutions would portray to outsiders. Turkey is often thought of as the least religious muslim country, I don't think that's the case, but the government certainly go a long way in feeding that stereotype.
    Compared to European countries, Turkey is certainly a religious country, but I think there is truth in the claim that Turkey is the least religious Muslim-majority country in the world. Perhaps there is a small Muslim-majority Eastern Europe state which can be argued to be less religious than Turkey.

Also, I think the treatment of Turkey's Kurdish minority has improved quite significantly over the past decade. The treatment of other minorities in other Muslim-majority countries is much worse, although this of course is no excuse for Turkey's poor protection of its own minorities, relative to Western countries.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I've heard quite a few of Iranians proudly boasting Iran as the least religious muslim country, but I imagine most of these guys are from the wealthy middle classes of Northern Tehran.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.