Turn on thread page Beta

How Long-Distance is your LDR? watch

• View Poll Results: How far away do/will you live from each other?
    13.41%
    1-2hrs
    17.07%
    2-3hrs
    14.63%
    3-4hrs
    8.54%
    4-5hrs
    14.63%
    >5hrs
    31.71%

ReputationRep:
      Just curious.

G

too long .. in every sense

ReputationRep:
      From London to my house in Norfolk it's about 3 hours, and from London to my house in Reading (when I'm at uni) it's roughly an hour.

ReputationRep:
      From Birmingham to Kent, or Keele to Kent when I'm at uni, so about 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours depending.

It will be 3ish hours when I go to uni

ReputationRep:
      cheshire to london

ReputationRep:
      I chose 4-5 Hours.
      Its Greater London (Essex) - Manchester.
      By coach its atleast 4 and a half hours direct usually more like 5
      Train about 2 and a half and by car 3 and a half - 4 and a half depending on traffic.

When I move to Leicester for Uni, by car it'll be about 2 and a half hours, although train and coach will still be about 4 because the services arnt usually direct there are various stops

ReputationRep:
      About 4 and a half hours

ReputationRep:
      My boyfriend will be near Birmingham, I'll be in Manchester. An hour & a half - 2 hours depending on whether we get train/drive, and traffic.

ReputationRep:
      haha, im in a sort of temporary LDR, and he's 10000 miles away so thats around 24 hours away... someone try and beat that!

ReputationRep:
      1-2 hours when i'm at uni. Well it's a 45 minute train but by the time you've got to the station, waited, got the train, walked to his house it ends up over an hour!

ReputationRep:
      At the moment he is in Singapore and i´m in Brasil. I have no idea how long it would take to fly from one to the other.

When i´m at uni in Southampton he is still in Singapore.

When he is back at uni in the UK we are still more than 5 hours away as he is up north and i´m down south.

When we were both at home (won´t happen anymore due to our courses) we were about 30 mins away.

Damn writing it out has brought it home

ReputationRep:
      At the moment about 1300 miles, so I guess a few hours by plane but that's only for another couple of weeks

ReputationRep:
      Couple of hours by plane but come October it'll be longer in the car.

ReputationRep:
      2 Hours, by plane. Not including all the time waiting around at airports...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by prettygreeneyes99)
      haha, im in a sort of temporary LDR, and he's 10000 miles away so thats around 24 hours away... someone try and beat that!
      Seriously wouldn't want to :p: Although I know friends who can actually tie with/beat that, unfortunately, though that will no longer be the case come September

I chose >5 hours, cus it says "live/will you live" and I assumed that's where you permenantly live, not just during term time.

Basically, when we're at uni, we're only 10min bus ride or 1hour walk from each other, which is still hassle enough, to be quite honest.

When we're at home, well, he's in Germany and I'm in England So, let's see, 1.5hrs to London Luton/Heathrow, maybe an hour wait, 45min plane ride, 1hr from German airport to his home village. Hmm ok that's only 4.5hrs or so, but it's far enough...

ReputationRep:
      I had a girlfriend I met during a trip. She lived over 12 hours away by bus/train but I would see her at weekends. I'd usually miss lectures on the Friday just so I could leave first thing on the Friday, spend most of the weekend with her and get back into uni around Monday lunchtime.

We then maintained the relationship when I was back in Europe and when I flew back over, tried to see her regularly.

Looking back, it was absolutely crazy. I doubt I'll do it ever again. It just doesn't seem worth it and romance is dead. These days, you do something like that and people just think "weird" rather than thinking that you might really like eachother and don't want to miss out on the chance of being together.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by prettygreeneyes99)
      lol, where is he? my bf is going to be in australia for about 7 months this coming year which I think is about that distance. He's going to smuggle me back a koala (I like to think so anyway).

ReputationRep:
      An hour and a bit by train - London to Cambridge. Which I call medium distance. But what we already have is medium distance (Just South of London ---> Just North of London - which is also an hour and a bit, believe it or not. Possibly longer, now I think about it).
      I'm a year ahead. I've already done the Freshers' thing and everything. So I already know I'm not missing out on anything whatsoever by not being single. Might be a different story for him but we'll see how it goes.

But yeah, I call this medium distance.

Any much longer and it would be long distance and I couldn't do that - the irregularity sex would turn me into a crazy starved neurotic *****.

ReputationRep:
      at the moment a 8 hour flight- but i'm back home on wednesday yay! then he still lives up north and i live down south so at least 4 hours. last year he was in s. america for 6.5 months, i went out to visit but that was long.... now we have decided neither of us is going away (like the other side of thw world) again without the other for longer than 3-4 weeks. its torture!!!! thing is we both love travelling and work/uni means we might not be free at the same time, not good.
      for me the 4 hour journey even when we are both at home is bad, it means that we can only really see each other at weekends, when we both have other commitments and dont want to desert our friends, and also it costs over £60 a pop! not good. and this will be the way for the next three years...minus holidays we take and there are going to be many of them! xx

Submit reply
    Turn on thread page Beta
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.