Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For a ps, would it be okay to put an extracurricular that is not relevant to your subject chioce, but has taught you many transferrable skills??
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    yes - i would also point out that TSR has a ask a ps helper forum, so once you have a draft of your statement, post a thread there, and you can get feedback confidentially, from a pshelper, like me.

ReputationRep:
    You may. I would do what Kirsty says too as it's a great deal of help!

ReputationRep:
    Yes - thats essentially the point of a personal statement. Put down anything/everything that you can to "sell yourself".

ReputationRep:
    Well put.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by recneps)
    Yes - thats essentially the point of a personal statement. Put down anything/everything that you can to "sell yourself".

Depends where you apply, some universities couldn't give a stuff about non-relevant extra-curriculars and disregard them when it comes to deciding whether to make an offer.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    basically if you've mentioned all relevant other parts and have line space left, it won't hurt would it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3232)
    Depends where you apply, some universities couldn't give a stuff about non-relevant extra-curriculars and disregard them when it comes to deciding whether to make an offer.
    It depends whether your opinion of "irrelevant" and the admissions tutors' opinion of "irrelevant" are the same. For example, you might consider "captain of a sports team" or "scout leader" to be irrelevant to a degree in pharmacy, but both show that you have had the opportunity to develop communication and leadership skills. On the other hand, putting "went on holiday to poland last year" is probably irrelevant unless you're doing a degree in polish

ReputationRep:
    It depends whether your opinion of "irrelevant" and the admissions tutors' opinion of "irrelevant" are the same. For example, you might consider "captain of a sports team" or "scout leader" to be irrelevant to a degree in pharmacy, but both show that you have had the opportunity to develop communication and leadership skills. On the other hand, putting "went on holiday to poland last year" is probably irrelevant unless you're doing a degree in polish
    Both examples would be completely irrelavant at the universities i'm talking about, unless extra-curriculars are related to your subject (like volunteering at a hospital for Medicine, for example) they have absolutely no bearing on the admissions process. Admissions tutors are clear at the very top universities that in an all-other-things-being-equal situation, the student with more non-subject-based extra-curriculars would not be given the offer over another student with less ECs, and that they would find another way of working it out. At these universities, the only thing that matters is academic potential, leadership skills or musical ability (for non-musical subjects) have absolutely no bearing on this.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming by "very top" you mean oxbridge. Having met senior admissions tutors from a couple of high ranking unis, i can assure you that these things DO often count. It also depends on the course subject - for example in a course in Business management, leadership skills and communication are considered extremely important.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming by "very top" you mean oxbridge. Having met senior admissions tutors from a couple of high ranking unis, i can assure you that these things DO often count. It also depends on the course subject - for example in a course in Business management, leadership skills and communication are considered extremely important.

Yes, i'm talking about Oxbridge, where 'Business Management' is not a subject and so my point still stands... I'm just making the point that if you're planning to apply to the very top universities then filling up your personal statement with 'amazing' extra-curriculars will potentially damage your application because you will be wasting valuable space on something that is not used to differentiate between applicants. You have 5 choices but if you're including Oxford/Cambridge as one of them, don't over-value ECs in your personal statement.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    theres no point arguing with 2 pshelpers...

What i said was if there was space it can be added at the end before your conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    theres no point arguing with 2 pshelpers...

Erm, why? Just because i don't have 'PS Helper' below my username does not mean i have no grounds for making a point, what i'm saying is coming directly from admissions tutors at Cambridge and is echoed at Oxford. Academic potential is paramount, non-subject-related extra-curriculars make no difference. The OP didn't state their choices, and anyway, other people are likely to read the advice on this thread. With the high proportion of Oxbridge applicants on TSR it's worth giving a balanced view of how important ECs are, regardless of PS Helper status, don't you think?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That wasn't how it was meant to sound - just that i know I've helped with numerous statements over the past year and i have a fair idea of what is and isn't included... Don't chaange the statement just for a certain uni - its not worth it since every department even in the top uni's operated slightly differently - including Oxbridge! The policies change every year too.

Yes i've reviewed a high number of oxbridge applications before you ask...

Its just don't dismiss them, write in everything you think should be in your statement without checking the limit, then if your over the limit start eliminating extra words the small irrelevant words you might have written. Then prioritise the content, generally you need to talk 50-75% about relevant aspects of the course your applying for, the other 25% should be based around the EC's. Include an intro and conclusion and your sorted.

The articles on this page of the TSR Wiki will help: http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Cat...nal_Statements

And as i said before if you want an independent person to review your statement the ask a pshelper forum is there for just that. Only you and the pshelpers can see the statement you post.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Things like this are a lot more important than most people realise.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.