Turn on thread page Beta

is anybody doing computer science? HELP !!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    i am really struggling to know how to do pseudo code, loops, etc. how can i get good at it.

ReputationRep:
    Go on cambridgegcsecomputing.org- it has activities, videos and descriptions of all the topics.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Are you saying you're struggling with programming in general or pseudo code?

For programming you need to practice. There's no other way to improve. Do lots of exercises and keep trying.

If you're bad at pseudo code don't worry. It's not really possible to be bad because there's no right answer. Pseudo code is just writing code in English like statements. If your actual code is:

if (word == "hello"):

then your pseudo code could be:

if word is hello OR if word equals hello OR if word = hello

and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Are you saying you're struggling with programming in general or pseudo code?

For programming you need to practice. There's no other way to improve. Do lots of exercises and keep trying.

If you're bad at pseudo code don't worry. It's not really possible to be bad because there's no right answer. Pseudo code is just writing code in English like statements. If your actual code is:

if (word == "hello":

then your pseudo code could be:

if word is hello OR if word equals hello OR if word = hello

and so on.
    tbh i am struggling with programming and pseudo code
    Did you do computer science and did you find it hard? what year are you in if you don't mind me asking
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by geek567)
    tbh i am struggling with programming and pseudo code
    Did you do computer science and did you find it hard? what year are you in if you don't mind me asking
    Computer Science GCSE's didn't exist when I was doing my GCSE's but I did a BTEC in Software Development and A Level Computing at college and am currenlty in my first year of uni studying Forensic Computing. None of the college stuff was difficult, the uni stuff is more difficult but fine if you have a good foundation knowledge. The quantity of the work is more difficult to manage than the work itself.

Programming in general or specific parts? I can go through anything you're struggling with. How would you rate yourself on the following topics (say on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is you know it well and 1 is you have no idea):

Data Types (Integers, Floats, Strings, etc.)
    Decision Making (If Statements, Case Statements)
    Iteration (For, While, Until, etc Loops)
    Functions and Procedures
    Code Structure (Using white space and tabs, code layout, etc.)
    Pseudo Code (Writing any of the above in more traditional English)

Some of these may be more advanced than what you're learning at GCSE level since I don't know what syllabus you cover.

What language are you learning in as well? I don't want to start giving examples in a language that doesn't apply to you. And if possible what exam board/do you have a link to your course syllabus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Computer Science GCSE's didn't exist when I was doing my GCSE's but I did a BTEC in Software Development and A Level Computing at college and am currenlty in my first year of uni studying Forensic Computing. None of the college stuff was difficult, the uni stuff is more difficult but fine if you have a good foundation knowledge. The quantity of the work is more difficult to manage than the work itself.

Programming in general or specific parts? I can go through anything you're struggling with. How would you rate yourself on the following topics (say on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is you know it well and 1 is you have no idea):

Data Types (Integers, Floats, Strings, etc.) 2
    Decision Making (If Statements, Case Statements) 1
    Iteration (For, While, Until, etc Loops) 1
    Functions and Procedures 1
    Code Structure (Using white space and tabs, code layout, etc.) 1
    Pseudo Code (Writing any of the above in more traditional English) 4

i cannot do any of these. if you do not mind can i pm you if i need help on a particular thing

Some of these may be more advanced than what you're learning at GCSE level since I don't know what syllabus you cover.

i do computer science OCR and so

What language are you learning in as well? I don't want to start giving examples in a language that doesn't apply to you. And if possible what exam board/do you have a link to your course syllabus?
    OCR 60% IS COURSEWORK (which i find hard)
    will you be able to help me?

ReputationRep:
    I need help too ! Are you doing A453
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    OCR 60% IS COURSEWORK (which i find hard)
    will you be able to help me?
    Luckily for you then coursework is the easiest way to get marks. Especially in programming. In an exam you might lose a mark for forgetting a bracket. In programming coursework you'll get an error and have to go fix it.

I can point you in the right direction but the only one that can help you is yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Luckily for you then coursework is the easiest way to get marks. Especially in programming. In an exam you might lose a mark for forgetting a bracket. In programming coursework you'll get an error and have to go fix it.

I can point you in the right direction but the only one that can help you is yourself.
    thanks i guess you are quite right. if you don't mind i will pm you if i need anymore help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    thanks i guess you are quite right. if you don't mind i will pm you if i need anymore help
    No problem, feel free to message me whenever you like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acsel)
    no problem, feel free to message me whenever you like
    thank you!!!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.