Turn on thread page Beta

one dimension watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i was reading a book ( unlike me but anyway0 it spoke of a one dimensional loop ........ this concerned me is it just a generalisation or is it possible and i'm being very narrow minded as i cant see how it can be ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee86)
    i was reading a book ( unlike me but anyway0 it spoke of a one dimensional loop ........ this concerned me is it just a generalisation or is it possible and i'm being very narrow minded as i cant see how it can be ?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    One dimensional loop? :rolleyes:

i think it is possible but its hard to imagine..

its not really a loop but more like a straight line which dissolves the other dimensions in it and appears a straight line but is really a loop :confused:

i dunno what the hel im talkin about someone hlep plz

ReputationRep:
    kinda what i tought .... it just being almost a straight line coming bk trough itself .... just didn't like the idea ...... not very pretty

ReputationRep:
    what they mean is that the loop itself is one-dimensional (it only has length, not width or volume), but it is folded up in 3-dimensional space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    what they mean is that the loop itself is one-dimensional (it only has length, not width or volume), but it is folded up in 3-dimensional space.

very well explained Sandwich!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Would that not be two dimensional space? Its the linelanders infinite universe

Anyway man... Why do they call you a sandwich? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)

Anyway man... Why do they call you a sandwich? :confused:
    I think it's that thing to do with Big Brother, or something.

elpaw - is that the same explanation for the electron in a 1 dimensional box in quantum mechanincs?

ReputationRep:
    i don't think so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rts)
    i don't think so?
    But if the loop has no thickness, then it will not enter that dimension as it loops around. If you want to claim it does, then why not say it's in 10 (or 28) dimensional hyperspace?

I don't understand this stuff, so if I'm wrong please let me know - but, intuitively, I'd only envisage two dimensions being occupied by the one dimensional loop.

ReputationRep:
    But if the loop has no thickness, then it will not enter that dimension as it loops around. If you want to claim it does, then why not say it's in 10 (or 28) dimensional hyperspace?

I don't understand this stuff, so if I'm wrong please let me know - but, intuitively, I'd only envisage two dimensions being occupied by the one dimensional loop.
    i think it can occupy three-dimensional space. if you imagine holding a piece of string, it occupies all three dimensions. even if you take away it's width, it can still stretch across space, up and down and behind and in front. if that makes sense. but i might be wrong

we only know of three space dimensions just now so that's probably why elpaw said it.

ReputationRep:
    It helps to think about dimensions as a way of defining where you are on an object.

In our 3(4/with time) macro universe we need 3 numbers to specify our posistion and a fourth to say where we are in time.

Yet the surface of a sphere, (a sphere is a 3 dimensional object ), is a two dimensional object. I'll explain further, if you were allowed to go inside the sphere, then you would need 3 coordinates. But with the surface you only need two numbers to specify your location, we use longitude and latitude but you could use a variety of other coordinate systems.

The surface of a sphere is one example of embedded curved surfaces. The 2 dimensional space is curved (that much is obvious), but it's nature only becomes apparant when it is embedded in a higher dimensional space.

Consider the loop of string. You only need one coordinate to exactly define your posistion on it i.e. your distance from a starting point (an origin, all coordinate systems need an origin). So even though we see it as occupying a minimum of 2 dimensions, it is still a 1 dimensional object.

Hope that clears things up a little bit.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.