Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    My name is Subetha and I am Currently Studying BA Interior Design at Middlesex University. I am also the course Ambassador for BA Design , BA Interior Architecture & BA Interior Communication and Styling. If you have any question regarding to those subjects or just in general would like to know how it is to study at Middlesex University please feel free to ask me! I would love to help as much as i can

Subetha
    Middlesex Course Ambassador
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    Below is a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) list, hope this will become of use to those considering doing Interiors at Middlesex University!

1. Do I need to have studied a foundation course?

No you don’t need a foundation to do Interiors at Middlesex. In the first year many of us had different skills and we all came from different backgrounds. And the good thing about the university is that they take that very much in consideration. Now if you would like to do a foundation just improve on your skills or you not sure about doing anything related to interiors then I would say go for it. Saying that having done anything related to Art is very important of course because they would want see some of your work at the interview, which leads me to the next question.

2. Will I need an interview?

Yes Indeed you will need to attend an interview but don’t get put off from that word. It’s actually not that scary at all! I still remember my interview at Mdx it was very relaxed! He looked through my Portfolios and I talked to him about few of my favorite art works, which I have done and that was really it!

3. What should I include in my portfolio?

That’s something everyone stresses about and I know sometimes it can be very hard to pick out few artworks that represent you! I would say choose the works you had most fun with and of course you’re most proudest. This way the person who interviews you will see your passion and also the type of interest you’ve got.

4.Will I be provided with materials?

That’s something I wondered when I looked up Universities and actually it is on of the many reasons why I wanted to go to Middlesex University.

They provided me with sketchbooks and pencils and pens I needed but more importantly they have an amazing material shop in the university where you can buy so many materials for very cheap. Saying that there is always lots materials left in the workshop you can use for free if needed.

5.What facilities does Middlesex University offer?

On of the greatest things of Middlesex University are definitely the facilities they have here! We got 3D workshops, Photograph studios, and Print rooms, Material Rooms and more!

6. Will I get taught how to use those facilities?

Yes which is brilliant! In your first year they have lots introduction lesson which gives you a sight into those facilities and of course plenty of opportunity to use them throughout the years at the university.

6. Are there course expenses?

Middlesex University is amazing for providing students with free facilities and materials! You have free equipment loan including Canon 5D cameras, Tripods etc. AND Printing is free!! Which comes very handy when you have to print your portfolio at the end of the year.

7. Is there any help to pay for fees and costs of university?

Aside from student finance loans that help cover your tuition fees and living costs. There are scholarships you can apply for to help with the costs of studying at the university. If do you very well at your course each year the University gives you free £1000 just for that. And if you chose Middlesex University as your first choice and did well in your school or college you may be eligible to get up to £3000 in your first year. There are so many funds and supports provided according to your circumstances.

8. What about extra-curricular opportunities?

The uni offers loads of fun stuff to get involved in outside of your course.

We have a gym on campus and lots of sports teams to join whether you want to play for fun or play competitively. There are tons of societies to sign up! And that’s honestly the best way to meet people from other courses. There are also many trips organized throughout the year and charity challenges abroad. And other things such as club nights, film marathon nights, speed meeting events and more.

9. Where can I find student accommodation?

There are two main Student accommodations, one that is literally opposite of the uni and its called Usher hall and another one that is only 10 minutes away from the university

Subetha

Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 07.11.16 - 13.11.16

Hi guys!

This week was pretty much about preparing for our final review next week, which means trying to get as much as possible out of our tutors before the actual review! Reviews are very important as they are kind of your last chance to show them everything and get good or bad critiques before you have to submit your portfolio at the end of the semester. I love this project so it has been so much fun when planning and designing it. If you would like to know more details about the current project or how I prepare for my reviews please feel free to ask

Talk to you guys soon

Subetha
    Middlesex Course ambassador
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 14.11.16 - 20.11.16

Hey guys!

I have had a VERY busy week this week! My review was on Tuesday which went well!!! I can't believe that I am already done with my first project!! Wednesday was more fun; we had a lecture about models which was very helpful. Making a model of your design is a massive help as it gets you thinking about the different types of materials as well as better uses for the space which your design would have. It's pretty simple to go and draw on a computer, however creating an actual design allows for much more awareness of what you are actually designing, and how best to go about it! On Thursday I finally caught up with the other things I had to do, which I was unable to do previously due to my review which was top priority! As I'm sure you guys are all well aware, to be a good designer filled with creativity you have to know how to balance workk and social life!

If you want specific information about the latest brief/task just give me a shout and I will be more than happy to answer them! Good luck all 👍

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My Week 21.11.16 - 27.11.16

Hi everyone!!

It has been an exciting week for us Interior designers with some of us going to Venice or Paris for a little trip; unfortunately I was not able to go however I was very jealous when looking at the pictures that were taken. :daydreaming:
    I did go to Paris in my first year and let me tell you, it was absolutely amazing! We got to travel and see so many sights and places which I'm sure none of us had ever heard of before this trip, so when you do get the chance to take this trip make sure you grab it with both hands and travel!! They usually are very cheap as well as the university can get good deals.
    Aside from catching up with all the travelling students, we also started writing our portfolios this week, which is our equivalent to a dissertation, however slightly different in the way that it is more related to our current projects.
    If you would like any more details just let me know!

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 28.11.16 - 04.12.16

Hey guys! :hi:

I hope you're all as excited as I am for Christmas!:xmas:
    I can't believe that it's already December, and I have around five months left to graduate. Exciting but nerve wracking! This week we mostly worked on our portfolio, as well as having tutorials on how to make our designs better and also how to build models. Next week however will be more exciting as I will have to visit the small metals workshop to complete the exploration of materiality which is related to our current project; looking forward to that! If you would like to know more about building models or what will be provided then let me know and I will write in further details about model making. See you next week! :xmasgrin:

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 05.12.16 - 11.12.16

Hi everyone!

This week I have been very busy as I have been looking into doing my masters and going for open days, as I'm sure most of you are! It's always a good idea getting a better understanding of the options which you have and what you will get out of university in the future. I also had another workshop learning about how to use metals in regards to the work which I am doing, which is always fun. I never used to be the biggest fan of creating models, it's always been a weak point of mine however after receiving the immense support which I did at university I began to love it! Aside from that, I worked on my portofolio which is due in January. :eek:
    Another thing, if you're new in London you must go to Winter Wonderland! Always good to have a little balance between hard work and some fun of course! :mrfreeze:

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 12.12.16 - 18.12.16

Hi guys, :santa3:

This week was all about getting most feedback as much as possible from the tutors since we are breaking up for Christmas holiday. Well, it wont be a holiday for me since I will have to present my portfolio for the first semester as soon as we are back in January.
    I had also attended the metal workshop this week which was very exciting, where I learned how to cut metals and make forms out of them. Let me tell you, it looks much easier than it is. Lot of muscle work is needed to even cut a straight line into a metal piece. I challenged myself and worked to cut a piece of heart from copper metal and inserted it inside a gold metal.
    It was lot of fun and very inspirational and actually helped me thinking forward to my new project for the second semester.
    I hope most of your exams are done, if not, good luck for your exams in January and other deadlines you have got coming!

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 19.12.16 - 02.01.17

Hey everyone!

Hope you had a very good and restful holiday and are prepared for the next year as I am. I am sure most of you have exams coming up so I hope you have prepared for them!
    This two weeks I literally did not do anything apart from working on my Portfolio which is due in two weeks and also focusing on my research writing.
    I am very excited to go back to uni and actually be done with my portfolio and just give it in. I am looking forward to start the new project.
    Hope you all left more time to do your work and didn’t start last minute like me.
    Happy new year guys! :thumbsup:

Talk to you all next week!

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 09.01.17 - 15.01.17

Hey guys,

This week was fun! We had a ceramics induction today and we learned how to make a pottery vase. It takes a lot of patience and is quite messy but at the end of it no matter what the outcome is you will be very proud of the end result, and an added benefit was that it had also helped me to get inspired for my upcoming project. Apart from that, I was working on my portfolio
    Also, if you guys do want to know more about what other skills you can learn by being part of Middlesex university and doing this course simply let me know and I'll do my best to keep you all informed!

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 15.01.17 - 22.01.17

Hi everyone,

Hope all of you had a good interview or preparing for your interviews.
    I know it can be scary so if you have any questions don’t be shy.
    This week was very busy for me, as I had to give in my Research this Wednesday. If you study design you will have to do something called research writing, its equivalent to dissertation, which other courses have to submit at the end of their third year. It’s very important that you can show you have good amount of writing skill to get your bachelor at the end of it. It’s not very hard for us since our research is usually connected to our current project.
    Also if writing is not your strength don’t worry the university offers plenty of help to guide you there. Good luck to all of you who still got your interviews coming up! Talk to you all next week!

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 22.01.17 - 29.01.17

Hi guys,

This week was very intense for me since I had to submit my portfolio this Wednesday. I have a hate love relationship when it comes to portfolio. I love the designing point of it, as in I really enjoy designing the cover and graphically making of my portfolio, it's very interesting. On the other hand no matter how much work you do it just never feels enough and you left with all-nighter in the library trying to fix or add things last minute!
    Honestly try finish your deadlines a day before submission just to avoid all the stress such as printer not working or huge cue because everyone thought the same and everyone is printing last minute at the library!

Unfortunately is no resting time for this week! I need to keep working on my dissertation, which is due in two weeks! Wish me luck guys! :unimpressed:

If you really interested to see how the portfolios look open days are great opportunities. Not just will you see the type of work the students do but also what type of work the university offers.

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 29.01.17 - 05.02.17

Hi everyone,

Hope all your interviews at your potential universities have been going well! I know that in Design we have been interviewing potential future students and I am sure that I have even seen a few of you there. If you still have interviews coming up then I want to wish good luck for them!
    I cannot stress this enough but it is very important that you attend the applicant day for the university and course for which you have applied. It helps you decide what really want because on that day you get to see everything from what they teach, as well as how they would be doing it; as well as giving you an idea of the form of support which they would also be providing.
    So please, please attend them as the worst thing that can happen is that you attend a university which you do not like or enjoy and waste away £9,000 a year on tuition fees. My week so far was good!

After a short break from my portfolio it is back to work, work, work! I already told you guys before about the dissertation and that is what I am working on at the moment. It's due in two weeks but I still have so much to do.
    On top of that, we started our new project which is very exciting, and I cannot wait to give that subject my full and undivided attention.

If any of you would like to see how a brief is set up, or how to do a portfolio then please do not be shy and ask away! Until then, I will see you next week!

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 05.02.17 - 12.02.17

Hi all! :bigsmile:

This week was a lot of fun as I managed to laser cut my model! It takes a lot of time to actually draw it and a lot of details which you have to be aware of but trust me; it is very satisfying when it gets cut.
    For those of you who have never used laser cutting and not sure what it is, simply put it is a machine which can cut through materials such as MDF for example in any shapes and forms you like.
    It can also be used to engrave! It can be very expensive but us students are very lucky that we get to use it for free at Middlesex University. There is lot of pictures online if you want a better idea of it, simply type “Laser cut models” on a Google search.

Making models is very essential if you’re a designer as it is a great way to show your ideas and better explore and understand your design. Don’t worry if you have never used it before as the course will teach you how to use the programs and the faculty members here help you a lot as well and give you great tips when needed.

Other than that I have been working on my dissertation, which we call a research book as well as designing my cover for that book.
    It’s very important to be aware, as a designer, how you are presenting your work as presentation is of utmost importance!

If there are any more questions on what facilities we have, feel free to drop a message and let me know! :ciao:

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 13.02.17 - 19.02.17

Hi guys!
    This week is valentines day! :date:Remember, it's not just a day to celebrate a boyfriend or girlfriend, it can be anyone. It's a celebration of love for your family, friends or even if its treat to yourself it is well deserved! This week had a lot going on in campus. Lots of events and parties. The student union here is quite good when it comes to entertainment!
    As much as there was going on this week, there wasn’t much I had done apart from working on my dissertation. I can't wait to be done with it guys, as much as I am enjoying the creative part! If you would like to know more of the process on how I prepare myself please let me know and I will write in further detail about what helps me before a deadline.

Cheers guys!

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 20.02.17 - 26.02.17

Hey guys,

This week was very stressful for me!:burnout: I had to give in my dissertation which was called a research portfolio and, as usual, ended up staying all night at our 24/7 library. I am telling you, it has its benefits when you need a computer and need to stay awake to finish off your work.
    Every time I sit and tell myself that I won't do an all nighter, that I will get everything done on time and here I am again staying up all night to get it finished!
    Big lesson learned! Stick to your plan! It seriously helps to plan ahead and make sure you stick to your plan instead of pushing it further and further.
    Very relived now after giving it in and pleased as to what I gave in. If you would like to see how my portfolio looks, just let me know and will I send you a picture of the type of work I have done. Talk to you guys next week!:ciao:

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 27.02.17 - 05.03.17

Hi guys

This week is all about exploring! A new project which means a new concept. Everyone gets their concept in different ways. It can be either from modeling or drawing; anything as long as it gets your creativity going. What do you guys do to get inspired? Where do you get inspiration from the most?
    I like bringing my sketchbook and pens to Starbucks. I like the buzz and the calm music in the background as it kind of helps me to get inspired.

If you guys want more details of the new project let me know and I will give you more details.

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 06.03.17 - 12.03.17

Hi guys,

Hope all your interviews went well and you got an offer from the universities you wanted to go the most. :clap2:
    I only have 4 months left til I graduate! The time will go fast! So enjoy every moment at uni. Do lots of activities and be a part of a lot the events so you get most out of this experience. Now is best time to make connections which can be very helpful when you graduate.

My week has been very calm and fun since we are still at the exploring part of the design. If you guys want to know, what type of events there are in Middlesex university or even what type of societies there are , they all listed on the Middlesex university website.
    If you have specific questions feel free to ask them.

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 13.03.17 - 19.03.17

Hi everyone,

this week we had very interesting lecture about lights and the importance of lights in the space. It's very essential to know how much poor or too much lighting can affect the space.
    In addition to that we also had a guest lecture. What's really good about guest lectures is, that they always bring someone who is already in the business to give you valuable information such as what they looking for in a student and what they expecting from graduate who joins their company. This is the best time to make connection so make use of your lectures!
    Also this week is election week at the university which is always fun. Nice music and fun environment around campus. Anyone can vote but also anyone can put themselves forward to be in the election so if your someone who likes to make a change, don’t be shy and be a part of the team!
    Other than that I have been enjoying the process of concept. That’s absolutely my favorite part of designing. All the possibilities and not knowing where it will end up is very exciting!

See you next week!

Subetha
    Interiors

ReputationRep:
    My week 20.03.17 - 26.03.17

Hi guys,

This week it was all about modeling and exploring the new space we got for this new project. I always tend to avoid doing models because I don’t really enjoy building things but making model is actually very important in fact most of the important decisions will be made through exploring a model. Going out of your comfort zone and exploring materiality and space through modeling will make your design very good; it also can be very therapeutic as well. As much as I don’t like to instantly start with modeling I do genuinely like the outcome of the model and the impact of it in my portfolio. Also to all the designers out there if you have Netflix go watch the show called abstract it’s about different type of designers and very inspiring!

Subetha
    Interiors

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.