Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i want to retake c3, c4 and chem unit 4. however I don't know where to start from, I threw my revision notes away because I didn't know I would do badly. I have no books and no resources honestly, I'm really stuck. Has anyone been in this situation before, and do you have any advice for me?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Jessica)
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Fox Corner

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I retook two modules of my A-levels on my gap year as I had not achieved my desired grades due to family circumstances, and wanted to attend a top university. I also did not go back to college, and had no revision notes as I had struggled to revise in the first place, so I understand your predicament,

My first advice would be to get something to study from. This could be via your local library, or a second-hand book shop if money is an issue so you can't purchase them yourself. You should still have your school's book list or advised textbook, and this is what I'd recommend getting as it will be the closest thing to being back in class. However you get it, try and make sure you will have regular access to it and actually use it. Things like revision guides might be useful closer to exam season, but are unlikely to give you enough depth for the whole year.

Secondly, I would maybe speak to your school and see if you can get hold of the curriculum structure somehow, or if they're willing to give you a break down of it. Having a clear list of everything that you need to learn and be able to do would be a huge help, and ensure you don't miss out any key topics. If you can't do this, I would strongly recommend trying to sign up to a Distance Learning course or similar, which will give you masses of online resources to help you and may even avoid the need for a book. The danger of just studying alone is that you miss out core areas of the syllabus, meaning you will perform poorly in the exam.

Thirdly, I would say make sure you're committed to doing it. Studying from home sounds like a breeze, but is actually so difficult to discipline yourself into doing. Ensure you have enough time to cover all topics by around Feb/March, and from then on focus on revision and past papers.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions, and good luck!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.