Turn on thread page Beta

• Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    I am 19 years old. I had a 75% bursary to attend a boy's private school. I did GCSES there in 2013, halfheartedly, and AS-levels in 2014, very halfheartedly. I got 1A* 4As 5Bs 1C and ABDE. I did not work hard on these at all. Into the 2014-2015 academic year I went through a great deal of unfortunate and I suppose sad distress and overwhelming over thinking. I do not like my AS grades, however with ABDE, and AAC predicted grades, at a boy's private school, and in my view with a rubbish or definitely not terribly well written personal statement, I got AAB offers for Accounting and Finance degrees at The University of Manchester and Nottingham.

Due to this distress, a part of a rather too complex past I have, I did not ultimately sit those A2s I had been practicing. I was not in a great mental state to achieve at that time, doing those subjects. Very sadly, and it my own fault, I did not also pick myself up in September 2015 last year to continue with my education/A-levels. Again, I was in a bad place mentally.

Now I am 19 years old and it is November 2016. I am now doing an Access to Higher Education Diploma at a FE college. This is pretty much the only accessible option I have in order to get myself to the next stage. Doing new A-levels would not be free for me at my age. I would need to pay to go to a private college. I am not in a position to do that. I wish I were.

I am, following this bad past, manifestly ambitious (and by 'ambition', I mean to say my goals and what I am most enthusiastic and dire for is great academic success. I don't wish to "work hard", or "hold down a job hard", or get rich. This is about education and "learning hard", making something pleasing of myself within education, and learning additional skills broadly speaking, such as languages, and I also want to get a fit body which is a separate matter aha). So, I want to apply to what would be by anybody's standards I guess quite good degrees.

These are four choices I have in mind:

Information Management for Business at UCL
    Business and Management at Durham
    International Management at Nottingham
    International Management at Manchester

I am desperate and desperately eager to get into a good, Russell Group university. I want to ultimately, for an undergraduate, get into universities at least at Manchester's/Nottingham's level of prestige and value, if not greater.

My 5th UCAS choice will be an Arts and Humanities Foundation Year at Nottingham.

I am hugely anxious over whether my Access course will give me any realistic chance of getting an offer for any one of these courses, even if I get the grades these universities claim to require from it. They need 30 Distinctions and 15 Merits . UCL needs 18 Distinctions, surprisingly.

I have overarching doubts on whether I am on the right course and whether I will stand a chance of receiving an offer for any of these 5 university routes I would be happy to be on.

Seriously, do I stand a good chance of getting an offer from Nottingham or Manchester for a Business degree, a strong personal statement and a solid reference with an Access to Business course?
    The most accurate information you can get is to personally contact and ask the universities to avoid rejection.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I have contacted them numerous times. I've contacted these four and they all claim they will accept it, they have in the past accepted Access students onto their Business degrees, and that I need 30 Distinctions for Nottingham, Manchester and Durham and 18 for UCL... I don't know how or why 18 Distinctions on an Access course can be compared to AAB at A-level (all these degrees require AAB at A-level).

Basically, I went to a private college in central London, Albemarle College in Mayfair, and had a one hour chat with its principal, James Eytle. He told me that in his experience he would expect rejections from all these good Russell Group universities from someone such as me who is on an Access course. There was more behind our chat I could mention which would add some context to what I've said there though, forgetting that, he has deeply scared me. It will ****ing ruin me if I work hard, actually get good or the required grades, and still cannot get into the universities I want to get to, because, what, wtf, I don't have access to what is, for sure, a superior qualification, A-levels.

I would gladly and on a heartbeat take any offer to do new A-levels I would enjoy doing over two years, probably Biology, Geography and either Psychology or Art, but that isn't an open option
    Is it absolutely impossible to do A-Levels? That's not always the case that it's 100% that you will get rejected. If you have a really strong application and very strong in other aspects except grades then it is possible don't put yourself down.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I feel somewhat trapped out of the universities I want to get to.

I don't think I am aiming unrealistically high. These are AAB courses at A-level. I had offers to go to Manchester and Nottingham previously.

If I could do new A-levels I would so work and relish working hard on them. If I could do new A-levels I enjoy over two years, God, man, I would recurrently study them and would aim high, I suppose for AAA or A*AA courses or greater. Doing that might be a pipe dream.

Nonetheless, any of these five choices at those four universities I will be hugely, staggeringly happy to gain offers from, even for the Foundation Year in the Humanities. Of course I would be happy with any of these.

I am desperate to work on my education, and I am doing so now on this Access course. I will be miserable if my Access course cannot get me offers I want.
    Go for it. It's not statistically proven that all applicants with Acess course has been rejected. Make your application stronger in other aspects for a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    When do you plan to apply for Universities?

From what I have read with regards to Access diplomas being accepted, is that universities will likely pay even closer attention to other factors: such as your personal statement, work or life experience for example.

I have recently started an Access diploma and plan to apply for universities before the January 15th deadline. I am, however also very scared of being rejected.

I think as long as you can get the entry requirements to their specifications and prepare the rest of your application to the best of your ability, you should be fine.

Good Luck.

ReputationRep:

Basically, I went to a private college in central London, Albemarle College in Mayfair, and had a one hour chat with its principal, James Eytle. He told me that in his experience he would expect rejections from all these good Russell Group universities from someone such as me who is on an Access course. There was more behind our chat I could mention which would add some context to what I've said there though, forgetting that, he has deeply scared me.
    Well the guy is trying to sell you A level tuition... I'm not sure what his experience with access students getting into unis actually is given he works at a college teaching A levels - however people at the unis say they will accept access... why would you take his word over theirs?

TBH you sound like you're catastrophising the process out of all proportion - getting into a RG isn't the be all and end all by any means... and if you're worried about 5 rejections stick a uni that makes lower offers in.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.