Turn on thread page Beta

What exactly is so good about Russell Group universities watch

ReputationRep:
    that's pretty much it.
    My friends aren't mocking me as such but when we were discussing our choices ive found that for maths all the russell group unis for maths was at least AAB which is NOT going to happen as i'm a friggin idiot. My friends were saying things like "jeez Louis, you stooped kinda low there" when i went for the highest i can go, or (as a joke of course, theyre my friends, just a bit of banter) "louis you just applied to all crappy universities". I asked them whats so bad and they say their not RG.

if you want to know, my choices are greenwich keele portsmouth reading and chester.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not applying to any RG's either

ReputationRep:
    I'm surrounded by smarter people too, my best friend is applying to all RG's whilst I'm not applying to any

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to be telling anyone where I applied because why would I need to

ReputationRep:
    There is no shame in not applying to RG unis at all, don't listen to you friends.

Just remember that everyone's different, just because they're applying to RG uni's does not in any way make them better or smarter than you. They may be stronger academically but that does not mean they're smarter, academics aren't everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadine_08)
    There is no shame in not applying to RG unis at all, don't listen to you friends.

Just remember that everyone's different, just because they're applying to RG uni's does not in any way make them better or smarter than you. They may be stronger academically but that does not mean they're smarter, academics aren't everything.
    ah thanks
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Toasticide)
    that's pretty much it.
    My friends aren't mocking me as such but when we were discussing our choices ive found that for maths all the russell group unis for maths was at least AAB which is NOT going to happen as i'm a friggin idiot. My friends were saying things like "jeez Louis, you stooped kinda low there" when i went for the highest i can go, or (as a joke of course, theyre my friends, just a bit of banter) "louis you just applied to all crappy universities". I asked them whats so bad and they say their not RG.

if you want to know, my choices are greenwich keele portsmouth reading and chester.
    Nothing really that interesting. There are lots of good universities outside of RG.

ReputationRep:
    If you could get accepted into a RG uni then you would since it's generally thought that they'd provide better teaching and resources but at the end of the day if you get accepted into any Uni and fail to get above a 2:2(or even a 2:1) employers won't just take you just because you went to a RG.

I'd just say keep researching and choose the highest unis you can but RG unis are way overhyped.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really get the appeal of RG universities and I'm not applying to any either.

Just go to anywhere you feel like is best for you. For example; there is this certain uni that isn't that special or highly ranked but the moduls for the course I want sounds really interesting so I'm gonna apply there anyway

Russell Group are research based universities.

I don't really get the hype over them either.

ReputationRep:
    Your choices are actually decent - good range of grade requirements.

RG is recognised for research and tops league tables which includes research as a factor. There's no shame in applying to non RG unis. The important thing is that you're applying to unis you want to go to and that have an appealing course.

ReputationRep:
    The Russell Group is a governmental liaison and funding scheme for predominantly research-based universities. That's pretty much it. Of course, there is a moderate correlation between membership and prestige, but don't take that to mean that they are the 'best' universities. There are a large number of universities (especially more recently established ones, as is the case with UEA, for but one example) which consistently rank higher in league table than the majority of RG unis.

It's foolish to possess Russell Group Tunnel Vision Syndrome, because the bottom line is that the group does not represent what a lot of people seem to think it does, and it's a damn shame to look past a number of excellent universities which do, in fact, consistently rank higher than many of them, such as Bath, Leicester, UEA, Loughborough, and more. Hell, even Coventry has jumped leaps and bounds higher in the past couple of years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toasticide)
    that's pretty much it.

The Russell Group maintain their cachet, rightly as far as that goes, because they are research heavy. Who would not like to be taught by a World authority on their subject, who is also an able teacher and happy to do so? Sadly, elite researchers are not guaranteed to be as able at imparting their knowledge, and some may consider undergraduate teaching as an impertinent imposition...not so good. Top level teaching and top level research are not incompatible, but they are not certain to go together.
    The new Teaching Excellence Framework [still a work in progress] is an attempt to zone in on the taught student experience, and some of the top universities aren't coming out well. As it happens Keele, one of your choices, comes in at number seven in the country - you might like to get your mates to compare and contrast their choices

ReputationRep:
    My brother has RG tunnel vision 😂 "Only apply to a RG uni" however I'm applying to 4 non RG uni because their courses looked better to me.

There are other universities that do research that are ranked "excellent" and are ranked high than most RG unis. The title RG just gives the uni a sense of prestige and superiority.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing

but the fact is it carries some status which only helps, you'll often see on job postings "1st class from top/Russel group university"

it's dumb but RG does make a difference even if it's not worth mentioning.

ReputationRep:
    My friends are mostly all applying to Oxbridge and Imperial and I'm not so I can kinda understand how you feel
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    My friends are mostly all applying to Oxbridge and Imperial and I'm not so I can kinda understand how you feel
    Grammar school life inni

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Grammar school life inni

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yh exactly, we even got a day off today in the sixth form cos all the oxford and imperial applicants are doing their MAT and PAT and CSAT and ELAT

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.