llamalover57
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I took my GCSEs last summer in 2016, and I'm interested in doing Pharmacy at UCL, but I'm worried my grades are too low for such a good university. Does anyone have any idea of what grades they would be happy with, assuming I get the right A level grades (I'm currently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing at AS level

My GCSEs:
Maths: A* A* (Linked Pair Pilot, think this counts as two grades?)
Further Maths: B
Statistics: A
English Lit: A
English Lang: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
Biology: A
R.E. : B
Computing: A*
History: B
Music: B
French: A
Chinese: A

Thanks in advance for any help/advice
radarmaker
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
GCSE requirements look to be B in English language and maths and C in a foreign language, which you meet!
username2471155
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by llamalover57)
I took my GCSEs last summer in 2016, and I'm interested in doing Pharmacy at UCL, but I'm worried my grades are too low for such a good university. Does anyone have any idea of what grades they would be happy with, assuming I get the right A level grades (I'm currently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing at AS level

My GCSEs:
Maths: A* A* (Linked Pair Pilot, think this counts as two grades?)
Further Maths: B
Statistics: A
English Lit: A
English Lang: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
Biology: A
R.E. : B
Computing: A*
History: B
Music: B
French: A
Chinese: A

Thanks in advance for any help/advice
They're definitely good enough. Your GCSE's are very good focus more on your A-Levels get better grades and you will get into UCL for Pharamacy then.
llamalover57
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by radarmaker)
GCSE requirements look to be B in English language and maths and C in a foreign language, which you meet!
(Original post by Illimitable)
They're definitely good enough. Your GCSE's are very good focus more on your A-Levels get better grades and you will get into UCL for Pharamacy then.
I was thinking that for such a high ranking university, they would want much better than just the B in English and maths, C in an MFL though?
username2471155
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was thinking that for such a high ranking university, they would want much better than just the B in English and maths, C in an MFL though?
That's just their minimum requirement. They usually expect A/A* but GCSE's don't really matter as much as A-Levels do so don't worry.
radarmaker
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Apparently not! Given that their A-Level offer is AAA-AAB they're clearly more bothered about high performance in Upper Sixth than they are about GCSEs. To echo Illimitable, I'd say make sure that you meet the GCSE requirements for anywhere you apply but beyond that don't worry about the results that you already have and focus on doing well in your A-Levels
username2471155
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by radarmaker)
Apparently not! Given that their A-Level offer is AAA-AAB they're clearly more bothered about high performance in Upper Sixth than they are about GCSEs. Echoing Illimitable somewhat, I'd say make sure that you meet the GCSE requirements for anywhere you apply but beyond that don't worry about the results that you already have and focus on doing well in your A-Levels
I told OP that as long as you meet their basic entry requirements not to worry too much about GCSE's and that A-Levels matter more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (67)
25.19%
My career doesn't need one (35)
13.16%