pulse/spasm feeling in left ear occasionally... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone

For the past week, I have had a weird feeling in my left ear that comes and goes. The only way I can explain it is like a pulse/spasm sensation occasionally. It only lasts a few seconds at a time.

There is no pain involved, it just feels like movement (which I can obviously hear as it's in my ear).

Please note - this isn't consistent, and there is no routine of when it happens. However, it's usually worse during the evening.

I have no other symptoms. For the first few days I just ignored it as I thought it would pass. However, now it's really starting to bug me!!

What could it be??

Thanks in advance
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi everyone

For the past week, I have had a weird feeling in my left ear that comes and goes. The only way I can explain it is like a pulse/spasm sensation occasionally. It only lasts a few seconds at a time.

There is no pain involved, it just feels like movement (which I can obviously hear as it's in my ear).

Please note - this isn't consistent, and there is no routine of when it happens. However, it's usually worse during the evening.

I have no other symptoms. For the first few days I just ignored it as I thought it would pass. However, now it's really starting to bug me!!

What could it be??

Thanks in advance
I think I know the sort of feeling you are talking about. I get it sometimes, I think when i'm ill.
Maybe you have a moth stuck in your ear and it's flapping around :P
That was a joke, but if it's the same feeling I get you'll probably understand what I'm getting at.

I can't think of anythig concerning to do with it, but i'd call 111 or check in a pharmacy to see if they have any advice if it's starting to bother you. You could always bring it up with a doctor too, but i'd try a pharmacy first to avoid a massive wait and somewhat silly sounding appointment. Doctors are there to help with health though so if it does keep annoying you and nobody else has any idea don't worry about sounding silly.
I honestly can't think of much that could cause that especially with no other symptoms... I guess it could be that you have waxy ears or something and it's pressure bubbling around? Olive oil drops may help (you can get them from tesco or a pharmacy). That's sorta what i've settled on when I get it and eardrops either help or it just goes away by itself anyway.

Whatever the case I hope it goes away soon cos it sounds realy irritating.
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi everyone

What could it be??

Thanks in advance
Yeah, I get this. If it continues, go to your doctor. It can be a sign of things like high blood pressure, or it could just be tinnitus. I get it if I'm not well, and it's just a pressure in ear thing. I wouldn't worry about it for now
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You know when you sometimes have a random harmless muscle twitch? This is the same thing. There's a muscle called tensor tympani in the ear. It's job is to contract when noise levels get too loud and 'tense' the ear drum, limiting excess sound energy reaching the inner ear and damaging it. When this muscles twitches a few times, it produces a 'popping' kind of noise as the ear drum tenses and relaxes over and over again.

In short, I have it too. It's completely harmless.
username2926188
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is exactly what i'm experiencing right now. It's so so so so so so so so so so so so uncomfortable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads