Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm Wes,

I am a second year student studying BA (Hons) Primary Education (with QTS) at Middlesex University.

I am Course Ambassador for Education, this includes; BA Early Childhood Studies, BA Early Childhood Studies (with EYTS), BA Education Studies and BA (Hons) Primary Education (with QTS).

I'm available to help answer any questions you may have about the education courses at Middlesex University, or anything related to the university.

Wes
    Education Course Ambassador
    Middlesex University

ReputationRep:
    Here are some FAQ’s about the Primary Education course at Middlesex University. Most of these questions also apply to other education courses at the university. If there are any more questions, or if you need any further information just let me know!

Do I get plenty of experience in school?

Yes! Each academic year you will spend 8 weeks full time in a school teaching your own class. Each placement usually takes place in a different school. 3 placements means 3 different schools, these will usually differ in many qualities to give you a broaden your experience.

Will I have any exams?

No. Currently the Primary Education students are assed through written papers at university, presentations, journals. When in school trainees are observed by mentors and tutors from the university.

When at university will I be in everyday?

Usually the academic staff timetable a ‘independent study day’ into the week of Primary Education students, so you usually have one day ‘off’. Due to timetabling constraints and room allocations this isn’t always possible. Personally, I have always had at least one day off a week whilst at university.

What is the content like in the modules at university?

The majority of what we learn at university is what we need to teach in school. So it has a huge focus on the National Curriculum and the pros and cons that go along with it. We use plenty of resources, things that most schools have so we are prepared to used them as soon as we step through the door. Each session gives plenty of lesson ideas. Other modules look at how we teach, the pedagogy. This includes how the teaching profession works as a whole. So we learn what to teach, how to teach, and how to be critical about what we and others are doing.

To become a qualified teacher, do I still have to study a PGCE after your course?

No. The best thing about this course is we are qualified teachers as soon as we graduate. During the three years we gain not only a BA (Hons) in Primary Education (the degree) but also, Qualified Teacher Status – what you need to be able to legally teach a class in England. This qualification is gained through the placement modules of the course.

ReputationRep:
    W/C 07.11.16

This week in three words - BUSY BUSY BUSY. As time has flown since the academic year started, and our modules are coming to an end soon, a lot of our seminars had an assignment focus. So Monday, was mainly spent in University. We had seminars in Science, English and Maths. As I said earlier, these seminars did support us on how to attack our assignments, as well as other things. English looked at assessing children's reading. Which was quite interesting in looking at how other professionals do this, and to how effective that is. And introduced key things to look out for when hearing children read, somethings I never thought of! Maths - I AM GLAD ITS OVER!! We had our group presentations on 'Progression of Division through the National Curriculum'. After having a few weeks to prepare, we all became progressively more stressed. It contributes towards our final grade, and thankfully it was a great success!

Tuesday, was my first day in my new school! Before our block placement we go in one day a week for five weeks. This helps us get to know the children, staff and school before starting full time. Its a great time to see what the school has in term of resources and facilities which I can use when teaching. I'm so happy to say the school, staff and children couldn't be any better! It is always a worry at first as you want to be in a good school. Thankfully I have very few worries for my next block.

Wednesday, back to uni! Early start again, this time we started with a lecture. The lecture was held by a child protection trust from outside Uni. It was the second half of a course the university enrolled us on, meaning we will soon have a certificate in child protection which last for 3 years, before having to get it renewed. Great interview talking point, to already have this before having a teaching post! The session brought many new apps children are using to our attention. It seriously is worrying what children get up to online. But most importantly, the session also looked at what we, as teachers, can do to keep children safe. The session also looked at e-safety, FGM and the Prevent Agenda.

Thursday, another early start and back to uni for more seminars! Starting with potentially one of the best PE seminars I have had - ever. We practiced playing all kinds of different games, both indoor and outdoor, and was just a big laugh, whilst getting loads covered and lots done! We then had Professional Studies, we looked through summative assessment, effective questioning and queries over what we're doing over our day link visits before School Based Training block 2. We then had IT, again this had a focus over our assessment. This was the main focus, and the whole session was spent peer marking our peers drafts, and looking at different ways we can attack the assignment. Thursday evening was spent with course mates in a pub in Angel, this was well deserved after such a long and tiring week! Yet, we did spend a long time there, I feel asleep on the tube home haha! Thankfully I made it home in one piece, and with a burger, hurray!

Friday is our day off, so I spent it chilling out and recovering from the night before, before sadly heading off to work. Next week we have 'Directed Tasks Week' this is a bit like a reading week, but instead of being given a reading list, we're given all sorts of tasks to do. So yeah, this week has been pretty hectic and quite 'heavy' as the seminars have contained a lot of key information. But not every week is like this (thank god), but when they are, it's good to treat yourself to a bit of down time with friends and unwind.

Over and out for now.
    Wes

Wesley Andrews
    Course Ambassador for Education
    Second Year Primary Ed Student Middlesex University

ReputationRep:
    W/C 14.11.16

This week has been our 'Directed Tasks Week' in other words - reading week! Our tutors have given us plenty of tasks to be doing through the week, whilst being off timetable and not going into University.

Not being in Uni this week has been a well deserved rest! I've had chance to go visit friends in Liverpool, catch up on telly, and have a few nights in with friends! Next time I'll try get the work done before the weekend, to save 48 hours of pure stress, but hey, I deserved a week off!

Some of the tasks we've had are plans/drafts of our assignments, which has been good to get them started, and also good to get crucial feedback from our tutors before we submit the final thing.

Most importantly this week has allowed me to relax and chill before the final few weeks before the Christmas break. And ultimately winter module submissions.

Over and out!
    Wes

Wesley Andrews
    Course Ambassador for Education
    Second Year Primary Ed Student Middlesex University

ReputationRep:
    Last week . . .

I was back to uni, hurray! Finally some structure back to my life. Highlight of my week last week was receiving guidance from my academic staff on drafts of assignments! This feedback is vital as it has reassured me I'm doing well and on track.

The best thing though, was on Saturday, the Open Day of the season at Middlesex University. It was so good to be there and see so many young, engaged and inspired hopeful students. I was answering some very thoughtful and brilliant questions from you all. So happy to see lots of young people ready for a career in teaching. Don't forget I'll be there at future open days ready to answer all your questions and support you through the process.

Wes

ReputationRep:
    This week . . .

As you have probably guessed . . . more assignment prep! Most modules, whilst teaching various other points, made a distinct and dedicated time for guidance towards our assignments. This is crucial as in a seminar setting (small groups) it is easier to ask these questions, unlike in a lecture setting (lots of people, one room) where you can't really ask these kinds of questions. A bonus to the structure of our degree at MDX is that most of our modules take place in a seminar setting, so we have a lot of one to one support.

One moment that has stuck with me from this week, was during a lecture on Special Education Needs and Disability (SEND). Provisions around children with SEND have changed somewhat over time, and quite a lot in the previous years. The most thought provoking thing was around language, and what these children have been labelled as over time, and how this is continuing to change. My point is in order to differentiate in the classroom, we need a label, obviously this needs to be as least offensive as possible, but it doesn't help when its always changing.

Hope you're all doing well, don't hesitate to ask me any questions around studying an Education course at Middlesex.

Wes

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

ONE WEEK TO GO!

The last week saw the final push in most modules towards our assignments and some folder checks.

These folder checks are a great idea for anyone on teacher training course. It involves keeping a folder for each subject you're going to teach, full of key concepts, lesson ideas, lesson resources, common misconceptions and worksheets. These are not only very useful for when we're out in the world teaching, but also crucial in proving subject knowledge when it comes down to meeting the all important Teachers Standards'.

Thoughts for the week ahead are;
    Final week at university before christmas - got a list of questions to ask tutors before submitting assignments.
    Final push.
    Looking forward to end of semester 'bash' with course mates on Friday, ultimate way of letting our hair down after a tough few weeks, and the official start to the Christmas holidays.

Ciao for now!

Wes

ReputationRep:
    What's a general timetable like at Middlesex like what time are lessons how long they are ect. I also heard some courses have only two days of uni. Is that true? Thanks

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.