Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Here are some FAQ’s about the Primary Education course at Middlesex University. Most of these questions also apply to other education courses at the university. If there are any more questions, or if you need any further information just let me know!

    Do I get plenty of experience in school?

    Yes! Each academic year you will spend 8 weeks full time in a school teaching your own class. Each placement usually takes place in a different school. 3 placements means 3 different schools, these will usually differ in many qualities to give you a broaden your experience.

    Will I have any exams?

    No. Currently the Primary Education students are assed through written papers at university, presentations, journals. When in school trainees are observed by mentors and tutors from the university.

    When at university will I be in everyday?

    Usually the academic staff timetable a ‘independent study day’ into the week of Primary Education students, so you usually have one day ‘off’. Due to timetabling constraints and room allocations this isn’t always possible. Personally, I have always had at least one day off a week whilst at university.

    What is the content like in the modules at university?

    The majority of what we learn at university is what we need to teach in school. So it has a huge focus on the National Curriculum and the pros and cons that go along with it. We use plenty of resources, things that most schools have so we are prepared to used them as soon as we step through the door. Each session gives plenty of lesson ideas. Other modules look at how we teach, the pedagogy. This includes how the teaching profession works as a whole. So we learn what to teach, how to teach, and how to be critical about what we and others are doing.

    To become a qualified teacher, do I still have to study a PGCE after your course?

    No. The best thing about this course is we are qualified teachers as soon as we graduate. During the three years we gain not only a BA (Hons) in Primary Education (the degree) but also, Qualified Teacher Status – what you need to be able to legally teach a class in England. This qualification is gained through the placement modules of the course.
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.