Turn on thread page Beta

Is my teacher too close to me? watch

ReputationRep:
    This is my first post so sorry if this is the wrong forum..and its not one of these 'in love with my teacher' things..I just want to know you guys' opinion on how close is inappropriate for a teacher and pupil.

I have two classes with this one teacher (let's call him Mr A). He's been at our school 2 years and we've always got on well because of our shared interest in one of these subjects - my life passion and his job. I get on great with all my teachers and my school is pretty small (350ish pupils) so it's not that weird.

At first we had a jokey relationship but at the start of last year a group of girls in my year were picking on me and he found out & dealt with it brilliantly. I started talking to him more often and about more 'serious' stuff. I usually get picked up from school about half an hour after it ends because of my mums job and started sometimes dropping in to borrow a book or something and we'd chat till she came.

But this year...I don't know. One of my classes with him is actually one I'm self studying but it's his speciality, so two nights a week I stay till 4.30 and we go over the work, he sets it for the week & marks it etc. Or we're meant to...we basically spend the hour discussing our own lives. He *****es about my other class with him and the people in it and how much he hates it. We just chat about the most random stuff, have a laugh and that.

Yesterday our class got rescheduled for 6pm because of his conmitments. It was supposed to end at 7 but we stayed in school till 8.30 talking about completely unrelated stuff to the work. We've discussed my periods in detail (there is a simple explanation though) and have nicknames ....

On top of this class and our others we chat whenever we see each other at school. We have loads of inside jokes which he brings up in class knowing only I'll get them. Everyone remarks on this and my friends think he's much closer to me than anyone else...it's NOTHING sexual/sinister on either of our parts but nothing normal..is this too much ?

Are we too close bearing in mind we're teacher & pupil or not? If so what shouls I do? Sorry its a bit long,just had to get this out here.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to add..hes opened up about a lot of stuff he had to deal with in his old job, really hard hitting stuff (suicide, rape, stabbings etc) and how it affected him to me.

ReputationRep:
    it could end very badly. teachers are supposed to keep a professional distance from their pupils, not have intimate chat sessions...

ReputationRep:
    Is it his first teaching job?

it may not be sexual now, that doesn't mean it won't turn sexual

ReputationRep:
    maybe this is me been autistic and maybe this is why its bad idea for me to go into teaching but I don't see whats so bad about this. I mean sure if he pursues you romantically or something like that happens thats a big no no. But whats wrong with a teacher been matey with a student?

ReputationRep:
    This is how they start...

ReputationRep:
    As someone else has already said, this is definitely how inappropriate relationships between teachers and their pupils start. He shouldn't be *****ing about his other classes with you, it's incredibly unprofessional.

ReputationRep:
    It's his second teaching job (he's 29). He's very matey with lots of the other girls, not so much the boys who don't rate him too highly, but I definitely seem to be the one who's the closest.

ReputationRep:
    As in he doesn't chat about such personal stuff and ***** about his other classes to them
    Although, who's to say he doesn't ***** about me to them?

all i can say is stop before its too late because it may end up like the other teacher threads
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Does he let you call him by his first name, though? :P

ReputationRep:
    I'd say this is fine, from the description, I'd see it as a close relationship between two friends, im sure its fine

ReputationRep:
    GUYS I think we're all missing the obvious question. OP do you wanna touch his **** or not?

ReputationRep:
    it's fine as long as it goes no further than that

ReputationRep:
    You know this is too close which is why you've asked the question. Although he hasn't done anything objectively wrong, I suspect he could still be in trouble with the school if all of the details in your post were known by the leadership team. It could progress further which would be bad for both of you. My advice would be to back off a bit and try to get your relationship back on safer territory.

ReputationRep:
    How do they end up? I'm not being rude, just my first time on this forum, and don't know what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    I have called him by his first name a few times as a joke, and no, I have no interest in touching his **** 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glasgowcaits)
    How do they end up? I'm not being rude, just my first time on this forum, and don't know what you mean.
    ermm

http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/t...ail/story.html

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this doesn't sound good at all.

When you stay late for these study sessions, are there any other teachers or staff present, such as teaching assistants or lab technicians?
    Do you parent(s) or guardian(s) know about any of this?
    Have you ever felt slightly uncomfortable with being around him (I'm guessing 'yes' because of the existence of your thread!).

From your description, the teacher has quite clearly crossed an important line regarding the professional relationship he should be having with his pupils. He should not be conducting one-to-one private study sessions with a pupil after school, and particularly not if there isn't another staff member present. He should not be making personal comments, trying to be your 'friend', making 'in-jokes' and the like either.

It is my opinion that this is an abuse of trust. You really should make an appointment to see your head of year or the head teacher to tell them what has been going on. You should also tell your parents. These sorts of things can be very serious and it's important that you tell someone what's going on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.