Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm close to handing in my application but would like a little advice on my Uni choices.

My predicted Grades are AAA and I think I can definitely (almost definitely) come out of A-Levels with at least ABB.

I'm definitely applying to
    Exeter - AAA
    Bristol - A*AA - AAB
    Southampton - AAA - AAB
    Bangor - BBB

My school is within range of contextual offers so I'm hoping Bristol and Southampton will give me those (I'm not relying on it)

But I want to choose between Royal Holloway and Keele. Royal Holloway is much closer and extremely good for Geography, and Keele is also good and easier tog et into (a little far away)

Royal Holloway have grades of AAB - ABB
    Keele have grades of ABB.

I was wondering what's the likeliness of Bangor rejecting me and leaving me with no back up uni? And is it sensible to put Royal Holloway as my fifth choice and risk them saying AAB and Bangor rejecting me?

Or should I stick safe and put Keele even if I prefer RH?

Sorry if this is a little long, I just don't know if I should risk it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Firstlt if you are entitled to a contextual offer you are likely to get 1 from Exeter. As far as your insurance choice goes that will be your choice whether you want to risk the higher graded university and go through clearance or not. My view would be to cover yourself with a BBB university although others might prefer to take the risk

ReputationRep:
    The Geography course at Bangor was in clearing this year, as were 39 of their other courses. So there is always a chance that if you miss your predicted grades you'll get in there anyway.

Bangor is one of those unis that makes quite a few unconditional offers. There is a possibility you would get one with your predicted grades.

If you prefer Royal Holloway then go for it. Conditional offers last year were ABB so likely that you will get an offer.

Alternatively, apply for RH, Exeter, Bristol & Southampton now and see what offers you get. You can then add a 5th uni later.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by MapleMaypole)
    My school is within range of contextual offers so I'm hoping Bristol and Southampton will give me those (I'm not relying on it)
    Check Bristol and Soton's websites to see if your school is actually listed. If not you won't get the contextual offer, and the lists are different for each university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Check Bristol and Soton's websites to see if your school is actually listed. If not you won't get the contextual offer, and the lists are different for each university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! We're definitely on the list for Bristol, I couldn't find any list for Southampton though, but I don't mind putting that as an aspirational Uni.

I'm more worried about the chances of Royal Holloway giving me AAB and Bangor rejecting me
    But there's a very low chance that'll happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swansea jack 1)
    Firstlt if you are entitled to a contextual offer you are likely to get 1 from Exeter. As far as your insurance choice goes that will be your choice whether you want to risk the higher graded university and go through clearance or not. My view would be to cover yourself with a BBB university although others might prefer to take the risk
    I'm definitely putting one BBB uni down, but I'm not sure if I need two just to be safe? What are the chances of them rejecting me>?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nutz99)
    The Geography course at Bangor was in clearing this year, as were 39 of their other courses. So there is always a chance that if you miss your predicted grades you'll get in there anyway.

Bangor is one of those unis that makes quite a few unconditional offers. There is a possibility you would get one with your predicted grades.

If you prefer Royal Holloway then go for it. Conditional offers last year were ABB so likely that you will get an offer.

Alternatively, apply for RH, Exeter, Bristol & Southampton now and see what offers you get. You can then add a 5th uni later.
    Thank you, this is so useful! I've decided to go with Royal Holloway because it's closer to home and the course looks amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! We're definitely on the list for Bristol, I couldn't find any list for Southampton though, but I don't mind putting that as an aspirational Uni.

I'm more worried about the chances of Royal Holloway giving me AAB and Bangor rejecting me
    http://www.southampton.ac.uk/student...dmissions.page
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

Soton:
    and the school list: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/...ols%202016.pdf

But note, you can get contextual offers for other reasons too. Check the pages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Soton:
    and the school list: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/...ols%202016.pdf

But note, you can get contextual offers for other reasons too. Check the pages
    Our school is on the list!!!
    This makes me so happy

ReputationRep:
    I had an offer from Bangor with one grade above all of my target grades, so you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    My UCAS has been sent off!!

Thank you for your help, I ended up choosing:
    Bristol
    Southampton
    Exeter
    Royal Holloway
    Bangor

ReputationRep:
    So far I have an Unconditional offer from Bangor and a conditional offer from Royal Holloway!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.