Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Good idea? or bad idea?

I mean there's nothing to it... right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VMB)
    Good idea? or bad idea?

I mean there's nothing to it... right?
    Not really. If you've been on some bigger dual carrigeways before then it's not much different.

Just make sure you know the basics of motorway driving. Reading through this might help:

http://www.2pass.co.uk/motorway.htm

ReputationRep:
    It's easy.

Key rules
    -Don't panic.
    -Always look over your shoulder when changing lanes.

You'll be fine mate.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy if you folow these simple steps:

1. Don't crash in to the bloke infront.

That is all....

ReputationRep:
    Just watch for the exit and stick to the limit. Oh yea, don't zone out :p: It can be a bit monotonous.

ReputationRep:
    Don't hog the overtaking lanes if you're not overtaking and when you're exiting the motorway it's probably a good idea to get into the left lane early on so you don't panic if you can't later on.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy, really. I drove on the A1 the day I passed my test, you just need to keep calm. Stay in the correct lane, if you're not overtaking don't cruise in the outside or middle lane, that annoys the crap out of me. Keep a good distance from other cars, and watch out for stupid drivers. And when changing lane check blind spot, never know what's just come up beside you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __verticalskirt)
    It's easy, really. I drove on the A1 the day I passed my test, you just need to keep calm. Stay in the correct lane, if you're not overtaking don't cruise in the outside or middle lane, that annoys the crap out of me. Keep a good distance from other cars, and watch out for stupid drivers. And when changing lane check blind spot, never know what's just come up beside you.
    Is the A1 a motorway?

ReputationRep:
    Just stick to the left lane unless overtaking, job done. Dont become a middle lane freak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Is the A1 a motorway?
    I dunno if this is the same thing but it's on some motorway database .. A1(M) - http://www.cbrd.co.uk/motorway/a1m/

ReputationRep:
    A1 is technically an a road... although its big enough to be a motorway.

ReputationRep:
    Motorway driving is very simple, so simple when you are on it for a long time gets very very boring. Watch for speed cameras , the machines invented by the devil:mad:

ReputationRep:
    If you've been on Duel carrigeways often you will be fine. always look over your shoulder when changing lane and don't panic and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    When changing lanes, watch for anyone changing into the same lane as you from the opposite side. ie if your in lane 3, moving to lane 2, watch for people in lane 1 moving in to lane 2. You would be surprised how many accidents are caused by this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by north_western_manc)
    When changing lanes, watch for anyone changing into the same lane as you from the opposite side. ie if your in lane 3, moving to lane 2, watch for people in lane 1 moving in to lane 2. You would be surprised how many accidents are caused by this.
    Yup, this is definitely something to remember. If you can, when you're in inside/outside lanes try to change lanes when the other 2 lanes are empty and you won't have this problem.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.