Turn on thread page Beta

Good screamo / hardcore bands. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to hear some new bands and I was wondering if any of you knew any good screamo or hardcore bands?

ReputationRep:
    there are no good screamo/hardcore bands, so you're out of luck

ReputationRep:
    Try "Tales of a Bleeding Anus", i heard theyre so obscure that for the first 5000 people in the country to hear them they'll be considered exciting, cool, and a great new sound.
    Unfortunately any more than 5000 and they will suddenly become too commercial, popular and therefore uncool :' { get in while you can!

ReputationRep:
    Don't blame me! I'm just not hardcore enough to be a non-loser! Not my fault!

ReputationRep:
    Why post in this thread? i could post similar comments 'this music is **** blah blah' in 99% of threads in this forum but i dont because its POINTLESS.

there are LOTS of good screamo bands. what stuff are you already into J-curve? If you havent heard them already i strongly recommend listening to Circle Takes The Square. Stunning band with very strong influences from the original screamo scene (Saetia, Orchid, Neil Perry) also La Quiete, Amanda Woodward, Suis La Lune, City of Caterpillar, Bob Tilton, Wolves, pg.99... Theres a new Australian band called Kids With Guns for Hands who are stunning too.

For something a little more hardcore, maybe From Ashes Rise, Ekkaia, Tragedy, His Hero is Gone, Rise and Fall, Engineer, Today is the Day, A Life Once Lost, Kaospilot... im guessing you already know Converge, Botch, Keelhaul etc!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your post! I really like Botch and Converge! I haven't heard of the other bands! I will give it a look today!

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is the point of posting in hear it's all ****? Not everyone has your taste in music, and nobody's is better than anyone elses, so off the high horses folks

ReputationRep:
    If you like Botch then Harkonen, These Arms Are Snakes and Roy might appeal - all slightly different styles though

And you must already like At the Drive-In

Try:
    Will Haven
    Burnt by the Sun
    ****ed Up
    Garrison
    Kids Near Water
    Hundred Reasons
    Glassjaw
    Small Brown Bike
    Boysetsfire
    Shelter

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of hundred reasons before. Were they supporting someone big recently?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a big fan of screamo but those of you are calling it **** are just ignorant and probably the only "screamo" you've heard is Alexisonfire, The Used or something else equally appalling.

Having said I'm not a huge fan of screamo I think Indian Summer are brilliant. Definitely check them out. Angry Son has to be one of my favourite songs ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    I'm not a big fan of screamo but those of you are calling it **** are just ignorant and probably the only "screamo" you've heard is Alexisonfire, The Used or something else equally appalling.

Having said I'm not a huge fan of screamo I think Indian Summer are brilliant. Definitely check them out. Angry Son has to be one of my favourite songs ever.
    I could never get into Indian Summer

ReputationRep:
    That probably makes sense as they are pretty much the only thing classified as screamo that I like. It just really isn't my thing. I mean I can see why Converge are awesome but I really just don't enjoy listening to their music at all. If they were playing live at some festival I was attending then I'd definitely go and see them just for their intensity! :p: I like a fair amount of hardcore stuff but almost all of it is older stuff - Minor Threat, Bad Brains etc.

Oh yeah and part of the reason I love Indian Summer so much is that they remind me of Slint. Similar kind of dynamics.

ReputationRep:
    I've listened a bit to Tool and Machinhead. I'm not sure what they're classified as, but that's about as close as I can get to screamo stuff :p:

ReputationRep:
    Converge are amazing live.. so brutal and full of energy. Jacob Bannon is a leged too... very charismatic, legendary tattoos, slightly efeminate.. but scary as hell

i looove These Arms Are Snakes. brilliant.

Tool and Machine head arent bad :P nowhere near screamo though.. screamo is not all about the vocals, musically its rooted in hardcore punk and it also maintains the ethics and DIY attitude.

good stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Ah well, like I said, they are my limit :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vector)
    I've heard of hundred reasons before. Were they supporting someone big recently?
    Possibly, they were pretty big (possibly chart bothering) a while back though, probably when nu-metal was all the rage - although they're not metal, so you may have just heard of them

ReputationRep:
    Name seems oddly familiar. Will have a look for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    Converge are amazing live.. so brutal and full of energy. Jacob Bannon is a leged too... very charismatic, legendary tattoos, slightly efeminate.. but scary as hell
    Too right. I think seeing them play Jane Doe was the most intense live music experience of my life.

A lot of good stuff has been suggested, so I'd just state that my favourite screamo band is Orchid, and my favourite hardcore band is Born Against. Can't go wrong with those two.

ReputationRep:
    have never heard Born Against.. what do you recommend checking out?

Im really into hardcore crust-sludge crossover kind of stuff at the moment. Kylesa are briliant.. Cursed, Forensics, Ranyday****parade, Rwake, Dystopia, Corrupted.. turning me into a right anarcho-punk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    have never heard Born Against.. what do you recommend checking out?
    In terms of particular songs, Mount The Pavement and Born Against Are ****ing Dead are good places to start, and as far as albums go Patriotic Battle Hymns is incredible - I believe it's a compilation of two releases, Nine Patriotic Hymns For Children and Battle Hymns Of The Race War. They are an incredible band - literate, complex, compelling, intense, exciting, everything hardcore should be and all too rarely is.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.