Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi there.

    Basically i've been accepted into my Insurance, but i want to explore all of my options before accepting it.

    I got BBC in my A-Levels, but I feel if I were to retake selected Modules, I could easily get it up to say, AAB. But some of the modules i'm considering retaking are AS module. Could I still retake any of my AS modules aswell as A Level module to boost my grades up, and apply for Uni for next year? Or do my AS modules count as being 'cashed in' ?

    My intention would be to spend the next year with a job, but studying from home, instead of re-taking Sixth Form.

    Also, when I re-apply through UCAS, will I need to inform UCAS that I don't study at school any more?

    Any help would be much appriciated,
    • Wiki Support Team

    Wiki Support Team
    I don't actually know about this, but you can probably decline the grade (would have to be done very soon) and then retake those modules. Speak to your exam officer about it - and maybe ask your school if they'll let you sit the exams with them, and if so, ask them if they'd allow you to do your UCAS form through them again. You really need to speak to your exam officer about all this.
    • Thread Starter


    thats what i want to do, my grades could be changed but i want to study from home. any ideas how to do this and any chance of taking the exams before june?

    The British A-Level examination boards are very well suited for personal study. If you are planning on sitting your A-levels from home, then that's no problem. Contact your Examination board (e.g. Edexcel or AQA) and kindly ask them if they could provide you with approved centres (e.g. your local sixth form) that will accept external candidates. All you need to do is pay the fee for the exam and any invigilation fee and voilà.

    All examination boards allow you to sit modules in January or June. However, not all subjects are available for examination the January session and you would need to check the specifications for that subject and make sure it's available in January.

    If you plan on re-sitting then you aren't obliged to 'cash in' your grades. You can decline them ( I think you have upto September 20th to do so, but please do it soon as possible as it's a long procedure) by filling out a form that you exam co-ordinator should have handy.

    To the OP, did you get your AS results from 2006 certified (get an official certificate from your examination board stating your grade)?

University open days

  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.