Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been looking at engineering during the half term holidays and I saw that it required maths a level. I was just wondering whether mechanics is needed as I struggle with mechanics but I do Physics, Chemistry and Biology as well. I was wanting to change to statistics (my teacher said I could if I wanted to) as I don't want to end up with a bad grade in Maths overall after A-Levels. I am getting good marks in core maths and I am an algebra type of person. So would changing to statistics be a good idea or do i need to do mechanics for engineering?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Want_To_Achieve)
    I have been looking at engineering during the half term holidays and I saw that it required maths a level. I was just wondering whether mechanics is needed as I struggle with mechanics but I do Physics, Chemistry and Biology as well. I was wanting to change to statistics (my teacher said I could if I wanted to) as I don't want to end up with a bad grade in Maths overall after A-Levels. I am getting good marks in core maths and I am an algebra type of person. So would changing to statistics be a good idea or do i need to do mechanics for engineering?
    If anything, it'll be useful for the mechanical modules which you may cover during the early part of your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    If anything, it'll be useful for the mechanical modules which you may cover during the early part of your degree.
    But is it required to do Electrical Engineering??

ReputationRep:
    But is it required to do Electrical Engineering??
    No, it's not required universities just prefer them. You will not be at a disadvantage if you haven't taken mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Shiraaz)
    No, it's not required universities just prefer them. You will not be at a disadvantage if you haven't taken mechanics.
    So if I change to Statistics as I am finding Mechanics hard, will I still be able to apply for engineering courses like electrical engineering? I am only doing so as I have failed Mechanics test but my core maths is at good marks and my teacher said I could change to statistics as it is apparently easier.

ReputationRep:
    So if I change to Statistics as I am finding Mechanics hard, will I still be able to apply for engineering courses like electrical engineering? I am only doing so as I have failed Mechanics test but my core maths is at good marks and my teacher said I could change to statistics as it is apparently easier.
    Yes you can. Are you also doing Further Maths?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can. Are you also doing Further Maths?
    Nope. Doing Bio,Chem,Phys and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Doing Bio,Chem,Phys and Maths.
    Ah. Not going to lie if your only doing Maths it would be better to do Mechanics if you were doing FM as well then it didn't really matter too much.

ReputationRep:
    Ah. Not going to lie if your only doing Maths it would be better to do Mechanics if you were doing FM as well then it didn't really matter too much.
    Oh well. I will have to persuade my teacher to let me carry on with Mechanics then. But are you sure that I will need Mechanics as Unis don't state mechanics as a requirement, it just says "A Level Mathematics".

ReputationRep:
    Oh well. I will have to persuade my teacher to let me carry on with Mechanics then. But are you sure that I will need Mechanics as Unis don't state mechanics as a requirement, it just says "A Level Mathematics".
    You don't have to keep it. It's just when an applicant it doing Maths not FM they would prefer them to have Mechanics you will not be rejected if you don't have Mechanics so long you have a good grade in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to keep it. It's just when an applicant it doing Maths not FM they would prefer them to have Mechanics you will not be rejected if you don't have Mechanics so long you have a good grade in Maths.
    Really appreciate the advice. So as long as I get the required grades for engineering am I ok by doing stats not mechanics?

ReputationRep:
    Really appreciate the advice. So as long as I get the required grades for engineering am I ok by doing stats not mechanics?
    Welcome. Generally yes you should be ok but it depends on what universities you are going to apply to. Consult with them first, then make a decision.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.