Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My college deadline to finish our UCAS applications is next week, and I am freaking out. I either want to Study either Economics or Computer Science in university depending on what grades I get for A-level. I have looked for Joint-Honor courses and only one University I found does it, which is University of Kent however they asking for ABB, and my results from AS were AAD (Hopefully the D will be upped to a C for my Predicted grades) the D was for Economics mainly because I found out my teacher taught us half the scheme wrong, we have a new teacher now however. I have also picked up EPQ to hopefully help with this.

However I'm mostly confused with what to write for my personal statement, since only one University does the joint honors I'm going to have to pick between computing and economics for the other 4 universities, so I thought of applying for 2 for econ and 2 for computing, or is that a terrible idea?), but how would I write that in my personal statement? My tutor told me I could only write about one course in it and when I told her my problem she was unsure on what i should do, (which is why I'm asking on here)

The thing is I do enjoy both economics and computing and learning about them which is why I really want to try for the joint Honors course. But if I don't get accepted then I dont know.

Seriously any help would be really appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Personally, I think writing a two-subject personal statement when you're only applying to one joint honours degree is too big a risk. Are you sure only one university offers Economics and Computer Science? I know St Andrews offers that combination, and you can study both subjects on Exeter's Flexible Combined Honours degree.

Another option is studying in Scotland. The Scottish system lets you study up to three subjects for the first two years before choosing your favourite subject(s) to continue with into years three and four. You could, in theory, apply for just Computer Science, then once you get there, enrol on Economics modules too. If you still want to continue studying both Economics and Computer Science after your second year, you can apply to take both subjects into honours years (effectively creating your own degree combination) - although obviously, there's no way to know if they'd let you, but there's a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Keele do too but they also want ABB

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.