The Student Room Group

UKMT Senior Individual Maths Challenge 2016 - Preparation and Tips

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SushiBunny
Ooh, you've met the legendary Geoff Smith :getmecoat::biggrin:

I'd say you could move on to BMO2 once you're confident you can do three out of the six BMO1 questions. This is just a rough guide, but if you try BMO2 when you can only do the easier BMO1 questions you'll probably have a hard time.

I have met u too!
We were at Trinity Camp! I have left the olympiad scene now on uni maths.
I
Miss geometry.
Original post by tryeeme
I am applying for 2017 entry. The way my school does it is that we take 6 modules in the first year (maths A level), then 6 in the second (further maths A level). I am currently in my final year, and am working a lot harder than last year xd

I myself got a C in C3 and a B in C4 at the end of last year, yet my friend who got 100 UMS in C4 and 78 in C3 typically scores about 70 lower than me in these challenges. It's very different types of maths. Someone else in my year (the only other person in F maths class for Y13) got a U in C4 last year, yet is applying for Nat Sciences at Cambridge, and usually does (quite) well in these challenges - and I believe he has a very good chance of getting into Cambridge.

If you get a chance, do some past papers before it next year (if you do it). Some people find this very helpful. But going to things like Maths lectures and event days should be just as good, if not more so, than this maths challenge stuff, as they show interest rather than just talent/practise/teaching quality etc.

Tbh I'd be delighted with any Cambridge college (if you don't know, when you apply for maths you get allocated to another college, and get an interview there too. So if you don't get into your first choice, you may still get an offer from another college - and even if you get into neither, you can be 'pooled' and get an offer from yet another college!), but I pray xd...but first I need to get an interview (news should be through in a few days). Roughly 4 in 5 get an interview, and if you have solid GCSE results you should probably be fine - then even if you're unlucky, you may well get accepted somewhere else. (At open day, the guide said the only way you won't get an interview is essentially if you're applying 'as a joke' or with no hope of getting in, or if you are from far abroad and it looks like you are unlikely to get in anyway, so you get saved the journey).

Whatever happens, good luck!

Oh lol! I do the it the other way ahaha by doing AS maths and AS further maths first then A2 maths and A2 further maths in the second year :smile:
Yes keep working! This year will make it or break it so you just gotta keep going. Of course don't push yourself to the limit where your health is affected!!

Yes I've seen that as well! This should mean you will probably be much better at STEP though than your friends who can ace school maths ahaha? Have you tried any STEP papers?

It's definitely really strange how there's a pattern like this. I'm interested in knowing why ahaha.
But I feel like even if you're not brilliant at these papers you can definitely improve a lot! I've done a couple of papers in preparation for the challenge yesterday a few days before it and honestly can say I've improved so much on it, especially geometry questions ahaha.
It's just my timing. At home it took me more than the time limit and on average would get around 90 highest being 110, but in the real thing I ran out of time!

I'm definitely trying to go to some maths lectures but not sure how. All I can find are the ones that cost like £3k ahaha and no lectures that are not that expensive.

Haha I'm sure anyone would be delighted if they got a place anywhere in Cambridge (hence why there is such a low dropout rate)!
I'll pray with you man! I really hope you get an interview and smash it.
Yh they interview about 80% of applicants, half of which get offers and half of which meet their offers because STEP ahahaha.
STEP is the real indicator which I'm sure you'll do absolutely amazing on.

Also PM me from now cos I don't want to annoy other people on this thread ahaha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I have met u too!
We were at Trinity Camp! I have left the olympiad scene now on uni maths.
I
Miss geometry.

Haha, I remember :biggrin: :biggrin:
Was geometry your favourite when you were doing Olympiad maths?
Will Oxbridge look at this massively? I'm really worried for when I apply (Maths & Comp Sci) next year as I made so many silly mistakes on this paper (like picking the biggest number when they asked for the smallest) and panicked and messed up the timings :frown:
Anyone doing STMC?
Original post by AdeptDz
Anyone doing STMC?

I am :smile:
Original post by some-student
I am :smile:

Can you give me any tips?
Like I don't even know where to begin for some of the questions, however I can do some of the easier ones, like 3/10. (Group Round)

So for example how would I go about doing this:
Attached
Original post by SushiBunny
Haha, I remember :biggrin: :biggrin:
Was geometry your favourite when you were doing Olympiad maths?

Yep! but it is ok since we get to do Olympiad style number theory still!
Original post by AdeptDz
Can you give me any tips?
Like I don't even know where to begin for some of the questions, however I can do some of the easier ones, like 3/10. (Group Round)

So for example how would I go about doing this:
Attached

This is kind of a trial-and-error approach.

We can first list out all the primes between 20 and 99 (as 2-digit):
23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97

Pick the primes that are either next to each other, or off by a difference of 1 (as to get a consecutive sequence)

We find the possibilities with two primes to be:
29, 30, 31: 11 + 3 + 4 = 18 (so no)

41, 42, 43: 5 + 6 + 7 = 18 (so no)

59, 60, 61: 14 + 6 + 7 = 27 (so yes)

71, 72, 73: 8 + 9 + 10 = 27 (yes)

We have {59, 60, 61}; {71, 72, 73}
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by some-student
This is kind of a trial-and-error approach.

We can first list out all the primes between 20 and 99 (as 2-digit):
23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97

Pick the primes that are either next to each other, or off by a difference of 1 (as to get a consecutive sequence)

We find the possibilities with two primes to be:
29, 30, 31: 11 + 3 + 4 = 18 (so no)

41, 42, 43: 5 + 6 + 7 = 18 (so no)

59, 60, 61: 14 + 6 + 7 = 27 (so yes)

71, 72, 73: 8 + 9 + 10 = 27 (yes)

We have {59, 60, 61}; {71, 72, 73}

Oh this makes sense, I just didn't think they would want us to write all prime numbers between 20 and 29. I always think there is like an easy way to answer all of these.Thank you.
Original post by 123Master321
@SushiBunny

do you know anything else one could use to prep for BMO1, without just doing the problems on their website?

Look up reimann zeta club maths. Its really good.
Anyone got a mark yet? My head of maths marked mine last night, apparently I got 120/125;I got question 9 (the set of 5 integer one) wrong.
Could someone show me what to do for that one?
Original post by AdeptDz
Anyone doing STMC?

I am. I'm terrified.
Original post by an_atheist
Anyone got a mark yet? My head of maths marked mine last night, apparently I got 120/125;I got question 9 (the set of 5 integer one) wrong.
Could someone show me what to do for that one?

You're trying to construct the smallest set of five integers where no subset of four of them can form a non-degenerate (i.e. non-zero area) quadrilateral.
It makes sense to start with the numbers 1,2 and 3 as your three smallest numbers. Then for the fourth one, making it 4 or 5 would allow you to create a quadrilateral (which you don't want), so the next-smallest you can pick is 1+2+3 = 6 (since these four "sides" would just make a straight line of length six).
Now you have 1,2,3,6 and want the fifth number. Thinking along the same lines, you pick 2+3+6 = 11 as your final number (2,3,6,11 forms another straight line of length 11). Hence m = 11.
Reply 354
Anyone got approximate boundaries for the BMO1?
Original post by ben167
Anyone got approximate boundaries for the BMO1?

I think it will be around 100-102.
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
I think it will be around 100-102.

What about Gold/Senior Kangaroo?
Original post by Chittesh14
What about Gold/Senior Kangaroo?

I predict Kangaroo as around 84 and Gold as around 80.
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
I predict Kangaroo as around 84 and Gold as around 80.

What is the chance that Gold is 79?
When are the grade boundaries released?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending