The Student Room Group

How to deal with a clingy friend?

Ive recently became friends with a girl in my class. She's nice to hangout with ocassionally but wtffff, she's mega clingy. She literally blows up my phone 15 times a day (minimum), and I don't even exaggerate. When I pick up she'll want to ramble on and on and on. It never ends. And it's all about herself, what she's eating later that day, what she feels like, the guys she likes etc.

She's starting to make me feel suffocated. Most of the time I let it go to voicemail, but then she'll frankly text me saying she has something important to tell me. Yet when I pick up it's about some mundane **** like her tripping over.

She'll call me in the middle of me doing something and then when I don't pick up I see 20 messages asking me if I'm dead and whatnot.

I've blocked her number but now she just calls me on whatsapp and if I block her on there she'll figure something out.

I don't want there to be a rocky friendship between us because I see her almost everyday and she's in all my classes so I don't want any trouble. But at the same time I just want to tell her to **** off.

Apologies for the rant but I just needed to get this off my chest. I feel trapped by her. Also, she'll want to go everywhere with me too. How do I break it to her that I need some air to breathe :/
Reply 1
Sorry but this is quite funny, she sounds nippy af.

Just tell her to lay off a little bit. But don't try not to make it awkward as like you said you see each other a lot. Just reply but reply really blunt or ignore her messages and if she asks why you're being like that just say your annoying me
Reply 2
Complete cut off is the only way. But, I know that it is easier said than done.
Reply 3
Original post by finlay4
Sorry but this is quite funny, she sounds nippy af.

Just tell her to lay off a little bit. But don't try not to make it awkward as like you said you see each other a lot. Just reply but reply really blunt or ignore her messages and if she asks why you're being like that just say your annoying me

Trust me there is nothing funny about this whole situation :/ I've been giving her blunt responses since the start, and it doesn't seem to deter her. Phone conversations are 90% her talking anyway. I reaaally don't want it to be awkward between us but if she doesn't stop i think I'm just going to have to tell her straight up to stop.
Reply 4
Original post by Saba XD
Complete cut off is the only way. But, I know that it is easier said than done.

See, that's impossible. I see her in class almost everyday and since our class is relatively small, she'll sit next to me. Once I leave the class she'll come after me. One step behind me everytime...I also want things to remain friendly between us since I will be seeing her for the next three years or so...
Original post by Anonymous
Ive recently became friends with a girl in my class. She's nice to hangout with ocassionally but wtffff, she's mega clingy. She literally blows up my phone 15 times a day (minimum), and I don't even exaggerate. When I pick up she'll want to ramble on and on and on. It never ends. And it's all about herself, what she's eating later that day, what she feels like, the guys she likes etc.

She's starting to make me feel suffocated. Most of the time I let it go to voicemail, but then she'll frankly text me saying she has something important to tell me. Yet when I pick up it's about some mundane **** like her tripping over.

She'll call me in the middle of me doing something and then when I don't pick up I see 20 messages asking me if I'm dead and whatnot.

I've blocked her number but now she just calls me on whatsapp and if I block her on there she'll figure something out.

I don't want there to be a rocky friendship between us because I see her almost everyday and she's in all my classes so I don't want any trouble. But at the same time I just want to tell her to **** off.

Apologies for the rant but I just needed to get this off my chest. I feel trapped by her. Also, she'll want to go everywhere with me too. How do I break it to her that I need some air to breathe :/

She just wants love, I don't see the problem. It's simply easy to just say, "omg shut up a minute." Or "I can't today. Soz babs." If you're mates you shouldn't be terrified of their response.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Trust me there is nothing funny about this whole situation :/ I've been giving her blunt responses since the start, and it doesn't seem to deter her. Phone conversations are 90% her talking anyway. I reaaally don't want it to be awkward between us but if she doesn't stop i think I'm just going to have to tell her straight up to stop.

Well I think you should tell her straight up but say to her that you still want to be friends and that you don't want to make it awkward
This girl is weird.
I know people can be a bit, shall we say, attached to friends, but this is ott.
I would tell her to just back off. Just ask her if she can give you some more privacy.
It's not everyday you have a stalker, but if this happened to me, I would find it uber creepy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending