Turn on thread page Beta

Could I have some advice from any Maths Undergraduate/Graduates watch

ReputationRep:
    Which text would be best to prepare for the first year and maybe even the second, thanx

ReputationRep:
    did u do further maths?

ReputationRep:
    no I haven't done further maths, I was planning to do it this summer though

ReputationRep:
    you need to do that then, before u even start to consider the degree stuff. did u do edexcel maths or OCR?

ReputationRep:
    See http://www.uk-learning.net/t51456.html

The book I mentioned there would be a good start IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    you need to do that then, before u even start to consider the degree stuff. did u do edexcel maths or OCR?

clare that is absolute nonsence!! and you dont do maths!!

heres a piece of advice for you from a maths undergrad....dont waste your summer!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)

heres a piece of advice for you from a maths undergrad....dont waste your summer!

love Katy ***
    your uni will tell you if you need to do anything...you may find they send you some excercises to do before you start, or they may not....
    but give your self a break over the summer so you are fresh when you start uni!!

Ruthie xx

ReputationRep:
    Do the maths challenges that you see in the maths subforum. Not that I'm a uni student or anything, but I think it's probably a good idea to keep the problem solving brain active.

ReputationRep:

love Katy ***
    i was only trying to help, my brother did a maths degree and i remember he said that people struggled who did not know about further maths. if he was going to do anything at all, which he seems to want to, i was just saying that he shud do the further maths stuff before attempting to read degree level over the summer! sorry katy...

ReputationRep:
    i was only trying to help, my brother did a maths degree and i remember he said that people struggled who did not know about further maths. if he was going to do anything at all, which he seems to want to, i was just saying that he shud do the further maths stuff before attempting to read degree level over the summer! sorry katy...
    Why apologise for giving good advice, rather than bad!

I would say it all depends which uni the person is going to study Maths at. Some have much higher standards than others and it would be a good idea to keep one's Maths skills up to date as Maths is the one subject where skills can become very rusty quickly. This will prevent the situation where those who are less able or less dedicated to their degree (some are there only for the social side of things!) slowing down the progress of others.

ReputationRep:
    i love how people use this magic word "degree maths" its all the same maths, first year maths is just a level/further maths in a different light...so if you havnt done it before you are no worse off...just starting from a differnt text book.

(Original post by yawn)
    slowing down the progress of others
    thats silly! they dont work at a pace that suits individuals...they work at the pace they want to!! its not like school when they'll stop everyone just because one person doesnt understand something, if you want help you go in your own time to find it...your learning doesnt effect anyone else and you shouldnt let anyone elses effet you.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    i love how people use this magic word "degree maths" its all the same maths, first year maths is just a level/further maths in a different light...so if you havnt done it before you are no worse off...just starting from a differnt text book.

love Katy ***
    I think u will find however that this differs from Uni to Uni. i was just saying that if he really wants to do maths this summer then having a head start on further maths would be better than using degree text books which might differ from the ones he will be using at the uni he is going to, and therefore be of p'haps a less benefitial use. i understand that first uni in some uni's mainly covers just further maths - so why not browse over some further maths - would it hurt?

ReputationRep:
    why not browse over some further maths - would it hurt?
    of course there is no harm in browsing over some further maths...

however,
    (Original post by El Asesino )
    no I haven't done further maths, I was planning to do it this summer though
    does not make it seem to me that he'll be browsing more that he'll be trying to teach himself something that uni's expect you to do in about 7 months in a matter of weeks...which may be unhelpful. and when your going to spend the next 3 years stressing over maths...and have spent most of the last 6 years stresing over exams and exams it may be most benificial to just keep "fresh" on the knowledge he has...and leave the new stuff till he arrives at uni.

btw, i dont think your opinion is wrong, i just think its silly. and im not trying to attack you personally, your just the only one responding back!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    an opinion is an opinion though, right? he doesnt have to take the advice - in fact he has not responded at all - why the hell do we bother!!! lol

you do kinda appear to be on an "i hate clare" (ME) mission with attacking what i say, but i'll let you off as you go to exeter...

ReputationRep:
    I did respond earlier on, but I haven't since you two started having your discussion about who's got the right advice because at the end of the day who knows which advice is the better one.
    I appreciate the advice of the both of you, I think I'll just have to go with what feels right. Thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Asesino)
    I did respond earlier on, but I haven't since you two started having your discussion about who's got the right advice because at the end of the day who knows which advice is the better one.
    I appreciate the advice of the both of you, I think I'll just have to go with what feels right. Thanx
    which is what? go on choose the advice - choose the person who is right - praise us with your eternal gratitude!!! - joke, btw

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.