Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, so I've just started my second year studying Drama but I've come to realise I'm really not happy studying it anymore.. it's not what I want, what I really want to do is psychology but I'm worried as I've already started my second year - is there any way I can still get student finance if I wanted to restart my degree doing psychology instead? I have no other way of paying for it so it's either that or I stick with something that I no longer enjoy. Thoughts please!! Thank you
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Annie~)
    Hi all, so I've just started my second year studying Drama but I've come to realise I'm really not happy studying it anymore.. it's not what I want, what I really want to do is psychology but I'm worried as I've already started my second year - is there any way I can still get student finance if I wanted to restart my degree doing psychology instead? I have no other way of paying for it so it's either that or I stick with something that I no longer enjoy. Thoughts please!! Thank you
    You'd only have 2 years left, so your only option to try for second year entry unless you work for a year of two to pay the fees for first year.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Moved to student financial support

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie~)
    Hi all, so I've just started my second year studying Drama but I've come to realise I'm really not happy studying it anymore.. it's not what I want, what I really want to do is psychology but I'm worried as I've already started my second year - is there any way I can still get student finance if I wanted to restart my degree doing psychology instead?
    As claire says above, no.

Having started your second year, you now only have two years of SF entitlement left. If you started a new degree from scratch, you would have to pay for the first year yourself, with SF kicking back in for the second and third years.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    One option might be to complete your second year but save as much of your maintenance loan as you can (could you move home to save on rent?), and use that money to pay the first year tuition fees of a psychology degree. Failing that, consider studying part-time with the OU or go abroad.

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally contact student finance and explain your situation. You haven't received the full year yet so there may be a work around! My personal advice would not to stay in something that you don't enjoy, its pointless and a waste of your time if you really do not enjoy it. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natatron)
    I'd personally contact student finance and explain your situation. You haven't received the full year yet so there may be a work around! My personal advice would not to stay in something that you don't enjoy, its pointless and a waste of your time if you really do not enjoy it. Good luck
    I'm afraid there isn't a work around. SF operates on a very fixed set of rules and they will definitely not make an exception just because someone isn't enjoying their course.

SF allows a one year "grace" period, so if you make the decision to leave during or immediately after your first year, then you can stop if you don't enjoy it and you will get full funding for a different degree. However if you start your second year, that grace period has effectively expired and you no longer get that consideration.

ReputationRep:
    Ah rubbish, to be honest I was expecting that I just wanted to be sure.. not sure what I'll do at this point, going to sit on it a while. Thanks guys!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.