The Student Room Group

ELAT 2016 (2017 Entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by c_english2017
Oh great I don't think I'll remember the content of my ELAT paper as well as my personal statement reading plus my wider reading and all my school stuff.
Cambridge just want to grill us hard..

Ah, I'm sure they'd probably prompt you... but yeah I feel for you, the whole process is so demanding!
Original post by unknowntsr
Hmm I didn't know that they did that! Is that in place of doing another unseen five minutes before the interview do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I have no clue... for your sake I hope so??
I did A and E, and I ended up mostly focusing on how they could be read as the storm being an allegory for God, or a higher power, and the poems themselves exploring the idea of the self and the soul's relationship with that God. I'm not sure if that's was really a valid interpretation though. Overall I don't really know what to think of it to be honest, I wrote a lot about metre and some stuff about religious imagery, but my plan sort of went wrong and although I filled the booklet (and then some), I feel like I was mostly babbling on. My essay definitely was not the best I've ever written though, I'm a bit annoyed at myself, but there's nothing to be done now!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Oh the Byrony!
A,B and E.

P1-The power of nature over man: talked about devices reflecting Man's vulnerability and likened effects of storm to the apocalypse.

P2-The power of the storm analogous to war in Donne whereas it mirrors the cruelty of slavery in Mansfield (both first person and using human experience as basis of understanding caprices of nature) and psychological abuse of child by parent in Mansfield (the trees seemed to offer safety and comfort but bullied the child).

P3-Donne implies storm flows from pagan Gods of Homer whereas others make Biblical allusions. Storm 'raged' like Poseidon and the Sun is described as a pedagogic vs 'shadow' of death in Ruskin and the anti-Edenic Mansfield piece reflecting Man's fall from grace.

Used loads of close analysis and referenced loads of devices + talked about texture of the text, rhythm, imagery, allusion, etc.

I think it went well. Having read what people had written in previous years on here, I was rather intimidated though. Thank God it's done :smile:

Wow ur P3 is insane! That's really clever !

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like everyone on here focused a lot on religious imagery lol 😅😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
A,B and E.

P1-The power of nature over man: talked about devices reflecting Man's vulnerability and likened effects of storm to the apocalypse.

P2-The power of the storm analogous to war in Donne whereas it mirrors the cruelty of slavery in Ruskin (both first person and using human experience as basis of understanding caprices of nature) and psychological abuse of child by parent in Mansfield (the trees seemed to offer safety and comfort but bullied the child).

P3-Donne implies storm flows from pagan Gods of Homer whereas others make Biblical allusions. Storm 'raged' like Poseidon and the Sun is described as a pedagogic vs 'shadow' of death in Ruskin and the anti-Edenic Mansfield piece reflecting Man's fall from grace.

Used loads of close analysis and referenced loads of devices + talked about texture of the text, rhythm, imagery, allusion, etc.

I think it went well. Having read what people had written in previous years on here, I was rather intimidated though. Thank God it's done :smile:

I wrote similar stuff about war and biblical allusions - your P3 is interesting, RE biblical illusions in B I spoke more about it mirroring the Exodus story in that both are about slavery, parting of the Red Sea- the sea literally parts and the whole scene is red in Ruskin. For A I spoke more about judgement day- linking to your point of apocalypse I suppose :smile:

Did you speak about metre & syntax? What kind of devices did you discuss?
Reply 66
I followed a really similar structure to you! Relieved that I wasn't imagining those points haha!
That's really interesting, I can see a link to Exodus there as well.

I can't entirely remember my exact points, so I'll just have to list devices:

I spoke about the use of fricatives vs plosives, asyndeton, semantic fields, metaphor, the repetition of certain letters, allusion, enjambement, etc. I didn't really speak about rhyme scheme; but syntax and rhythm fed into my structural and textural points.

Wasn't the Ruskin piece amazing?!! When i got home, I looked at the painting; it was so perfectly conjured in the mind by the extract.

What kind of devices did you discuss?

Btw, it's really nice talking to like-minded Oxbridge English applicants. :smile:

To which did you apply?

Your devices are so interesting! I hadn't heard of fricatives/plosives or asyndeton before- are you a Classics student?

I also spoke about allusion, semantic fields, metaphor, similes, personification etc. Briefly mentioned rhyming couplets. My style of writing heavily analyses imagery so I went into quite a lot of detail about the significance of individual words :smile:

YES I really loved the Ruskin! The imagery was fab- just looked at the painting now and I agree, I have to say I really like the non-conventional texts practicing for the ELAT has made me consider- beforehand I wouldn't have thought about analysing an art critic in a literary sense.

Definitely, regardless of the result of the process I think the Oxbridge application is a great chance to develop your interests and meet fellow English enthusiasts! :biggrin:

I applied to Lincoln College, Oxford, how about you?
Alas, no. I don't read Greek and only know very limited latin (I actually don't know how, but I know the Lord's Prayer in Latin, despite being an atheist lol) + love other literature too much.

Completely agree. Despite being hugely stressful, the ELAT prep has opened my eyes to new literary forms.

I've applied to Girton college, Cambridge (I know it's not very popular, I just really liked it when I visited it).

Best of luck with Oxford! :smile:

Ah I'm not a Classicist either! My friend however, is, and she recognised a lot of your devices (she's the opposite of Englishy xD) so I wondered if it was a Classics thing.

I have no clue about the Cambridge colleges, is it big/small, central/not? Lincoln is quite small (100 people, half the size of my year group) and very central, with a pretty quad & library, so that sorted it for me :smile: I would probably have to live in the library if I was somehow accepted, so I would want it to be pleasurable!

What were your main literary interests on your PS? I did Gothic & Romantic, Machiavellian Drama, Controversial Lit (anything banned..) and briefly dystopian. In general I'm really interested in literature that challenges conventions and brings about social change :smile:

P.S. Good luck with Girton, too!
(edited 7 years ago)
Wow, okay I feel a bit dumb for not having a clue about any of the biblical allusion but well done to everyone else, your essays sound amazing.

I did B, D and E and my thesis was basically about how depictions of storms are often representative, or linked to, loss of life and human sacrifice and then I went on to analyse the different speakers attitudes towards death and mortality. Anyone else do something similar?

My personal statement talks a lot about macabre literature and death and murder and so on... and I somehow managed to write an entire essay on death in the ELAT without realising. Don't want Cambridge to think death is the only thing I find interesting lol.
Original post by neyscar
Wow, okay I feel a bit dumb for not having a clue about any of the biblical allusion but well done to everyone else, your essays sound amazing.

I did B, D and E and my thesis was basically about how depictions of storms are often representative, or linked to, loss of life and human sacrifice and then I went on to analyse the different speakers attitudes towards death and mortality. Anyone else do something similar?

My personal statement talks a lot about macabre literature and death and murder and so on... and I somehow managed to write an entire essay on death in the ELAT without realising. Don't want Cambridge to think death is the only thing I find interesting lol.

I did a paragraph on death too but I did A and E.
Which college are you applying to?
Original post by c_english2017
I did a paragraph on death too but I did A and E.
Which college are you applying to?

Corpus Christi College :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending