Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi! I'm thinking of interrupting my studies for personal reasons. I am in my third and final year of uni and have been receiving student finance money all these years.

    I previously started a course which I withdrew from within the first semester, so I have already taken the +1 extra year of funding student finance provides. BUT I'm not sure if student finance will fund me once I return.

    From what I know, sf funds you the length of your course plus one year.. my old course was 4 years in length including a year abroad.
    Since I am currently in my third year of my course and have used another years funding previously, am I entitled? I'm not sure if the year abroad counts as another year sf would fund you.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative

    The funding is calculated based on the current course so 3+1=4 minus any years of previous study. As you have already used your gift year you would not be eligible to get another full year of funding, but can still apply for a maintenance loan.

    Depending on your reasons for leaving you may be able to appeal this under compelling personal reasons if it is for reasons outwith your control. When you reapply you would then need to send evidence of this with a cover letter to explain.

The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year

University open days

  1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.