Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I have recently applied for a student loan and the response I got was :

"

with your living costs (loan, bursary and living-costs grants), you must meet both of the conditions below:

• You have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom and Islands for at least three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of your course. If your course starts in the autumn term, this is 1 August. We refer to this as ‘the relevant date’.

• You are ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date.

From the information you have given us, you have not been resident in the United kingdom for at least three years before the start of your course.

Having looked at your applications you have applied for an HNC in the 2015/16 academic year and HND year 2 in 2016/17 academic year. These also state that you have been in the UK since 25 June 2013. However, you cannot be classed as changing course as you have been doing an HN level qualification both years. A different course would be if you changed from an HN to a degree level.

Please note, based on your immigration status in the UK, if you are not eligible to receive help with your living costs at the start of your course, and you continue studying the same level of course, you cannot become eligible for help with your living costs part way through your course.
    "

So, last year I applied for and did HNC, this year I have applied for and now I am studying HND, so someone explain to me please, how come am I not eligible for loan? I am resident of Scotland for over 3 years, and I was before the 2nd year of HND. Is that true I can not get student loan because they count it from the start of last year HNC?
    Ps. My friend is actually from Pakistan, he did get loan last year on his 1st year of HND and this year, on 2nd year of HND as well... how is that possible?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.