Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I love the theoretical side of Chemistry but not the practical side so much.

Is there any course which has virtually all theoretical Chemistry- close to 100% exams?

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is an experimental science. Saying you like Chemistry without the practical side is like saying you like cookery without the food bit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Chemistry is an experimental science. Saying you like Chemistry without the practical side is like saying you like cookery without the food bit!

Touche! Although isn't more like me saying I like Chemistry but not the mathematical parts?! ( Not applicable to me though!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComebackKing7)

Is there any course which has virtually all theoretical Chemistry- close to 100% exams?
    I doubt it- any chemistry course worth the paper it's written on will have practical elements. Without practical skills you'd be virtually unemployable in the chemistry sector!
    It's worth knowing that practical chemistry at university is very, very different to school so don't write it off yet! I hated labs at school and now I'm doing my masters year in an organic lab and I love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComebackKing7)

I never really liked practicals at sixth form
    Mostly because all we did was titrations...
    At university, it really is a complete game changer and so much more interesting and fun, especially being in the lab with you're course mates!

If you don't like practicals because they turn out wrong in the end, that can be improved over time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're not going to find an RSC accredited degree without a fair amount of practicals (their guidelines say 300 hours, a lot of which will be doing organic/inorganic work).

(Original post by Reality Check)
    I love chemistry but find synthetic labs really boring.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry with Molecular Physics might be a good idea, they have a good course at Imperial. On their open day they said this course involves less synthetic chemistry, and a lot of the practical work is focussed on things like computer modelling. You're never going to get away without a fair bit of wet chemistry though!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.