Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying adult nursing and I hate it! I hate the fact I have had to move away from home to study, I am so homesick, down, lonely and depressed. I dont really get on with my flat mates and Ive tried to make so much effort but Im so excluded. Ive seeked all help possible but nothing is working. I have looking into transfer for next year but thats nearly impossible because of my course, I also re-applied for January intake for my home town but thats full but I have a chance for going there in September. However, in September you have to pay tuition fees and you do not get a bursary. So I will be in so much more debt. But all I do here is constantly break down. I just wish I had one person. Ive worked so hard to get here and I dont want to let my family down because they have so much faith in me. What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    you started in September ?

home sicknesses is incredibily common in the first few weeks / months of Uni

what are you doing outside of timetable and accomodation ?

traditionally the answer would be to (wo)man the flip up and get out and do some stuff - and consider seeking primary care help if you are concerned that you are depressed ... but that;s probably not fwuffy enough for the current environment of generation snowflake...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I started in September and I see a counsellor on a weekly basis. I joined two societies to make friends but they haven't had many events on. My flat mates are really boring they don't do much and also they go home quite a lot

ReputationRep:
    sounds like you are doing a lot to try and help the situation. Could you stick it out for this year and then try and find different flatmates for next year? They don't have to be nursing students, or even students. Most local newspaper advertise for people to house share. Hopefully the homesickness will ease of a bit too. Can you go home more often or Skype in the evenings/weekends?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgiarees98)
    I am currently studying adult nursing and I hate it! I hate the fact I have had to move away from home to study, I am so homesick, down, lonely and depressed.

I'm a mature student to be that is starting an Adult Nurses degree next year. In terms of homesickness I moved to London from rural Lincolnshire when I was 25 with a suitcase and hoping for a lot of luck - for the first year - even at the age of 25 I felt terrible home sickness. I missed my family, my friends - everything was so different. But I made the decision to stick it out for a year because before I moved down I could see so many positives. Almost 4 years later I'm still here and so pleased I stuck it out.

Homesickness is really awful, but it shows that you come from a wonderful home and group of friends and that is something to be happy and grateful for. It will take time for homesickness to subside but keep doing what you are, joining groups, focusing on your studies, and giving them all 100%. Find little things to do for yourself to make you happy, even if it is going to a nice cafe for a cup of tea and people watching, or getting a magazine and snuggling in a blanket to read it. It isn't easy when you feel like that but in the end it will be so worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Try to join some societies that have more events, or even volunteering.

ReputationRep:
    I just hope the homesickness does go, I am really trying hard. I go home now and again but it's makes it harder coming back and then if I don't go home it's awful cause my flat mates are boring and they also go home a lot to.

I know it will be worth it it's just getting there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    you started in September ?

home sicknesses is incredibily common in the first few weeks / months of Uni

what are you doing outside of timetable and accomodation ?

traditionally the answer would be to (wo)man the flip up and get out and do some stuff - and consider seeking primary care help if you are concerned that you are depressed ... but that;s probably not fwuffy enough for the current environment of generation snowflake...
    You're so unnecessarily harsh Zippy. The OP is obviously really struggling currently, where's the compassion? The concern?

And please lets not brand all young people as "generation snowflake". What an awful stereotype to believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaediatricStN)
    You're so unnecessarily harsh Zippy. The OP is obviously really struggling currently, where's the compassion? The concern?

And please lets not brand all young people as "generation snowflake". What an awful stereotype to believe.
    I think you might be confusing empathy with sympathy ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    I think you might be confusing empathy with sympathy ...
    Nope, I'm well aware of the differences. But there was neither in that post.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying adult nursing and I hate it! I hate the fact I have had to move away from home to study, I am so homesick, down, lonely and depressed. I dont really get on with my flat mates and Ive tried to make so much effort but Im so excluded. Ive seeked all help possible but nothing is working. I have looking into transfer for next year but thats nearly impossible because of my course, I also re-applied for January intake for my home town but thats full but I have a chance for going there in September. However, in September you have to pay tuition fees and you do not get a bursary. So I will be in so much more debt. But all I do here is constantly break down. I just wish I had one person. Ive worked so hard to get here and I dont want to let my family down because they have so much faith in me. What do I do?
    I totally get the home sickness! I was a lot until about 2 weeks ago. I'd suggest trying to personalise your room - I got some really cool fairy lights that are picture clips and other things like posters and pillows and it all really helps.
    I think uni has certain expectations of how it will/ should be and everyone will be best buds (like in fresh meat for example!) but it's not really like that which I struggled with first time at uni.
    I don't particularly have anything in common with my flat mates so tend to keep to myself at home which is why trying to make friends on your course is really useful and I'm not sure about other places but my class is pretty inclusive of people and generally easy to make friends- although I think mh smaller classes effect that but tutorials etc can be useful to meet people when doing group stuff and just trying to speak up and have those conversations!
    But if you really don't want to be there don't worry about letting people down Because in the end it's not that important in comparison to being happy. I hope you start to feel a bit better soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swagio)
    I totally get the home sickness! I was a lot until about 2 weeks ago. I'd suggest trying to personalise your room - I got some really cool fairy lights that are picture clips and other things like posters and pillows and it all really helps.
    I think uni has certain expectations of how it will/ should be and everyone will be best buds (like in fresh meat for example!) but it's not really like that which I struggled with first time at uni.
    I don't particularly have anything in common with my flat mates so tend to keep to myself at home which is why trying to make friends on your course is really useful and I'm not sure about other places but my class is pretty inclusive of people and generally easy to make friends- although I think mh smaller classes effect that but tutorials etc can be useful to meet people when doing group stuff and just trying to speak up and have those conversations!
    But if you really don't want to be there don't worry about letting people down Because in the end it's not that important in comparison to being happy. I hope you start to feel a bit better soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am scared of letting people down if I do leave and then what will I do with my life all my hard work will have went to pot and I'll be kicking myself in three years time. Home sicknesses is a big thing for me the feeling never seems to go away and I've personalised my room but that's not helped I just feel so lonely and I'm trying to get involved so hard but I haven't clicked with anyone. It's panicking me that half of my flat mates have signed a house for next year. I applied to go to my home town uni again but they haven't been in touch yet but the uni I'm currently back ate at which i hate is a Russel group university. I'm just finding coping with it for the next few years impossible but everyone says it flies by however it's not helping my mental or physical state being here what so ever.

ReputationRep:
    <snip> It's panicking me that half of my flat mates have signed a house for next year.<snip>
    half of your flatmates are guillible muppets then ...

the shortages of accomodation for continuing students arew a figment of the imagniation of the landlords and letting agents ... but all the better to get pre deposit depoists and holding fees and over blown reference and checking fees in nice and early ...

ReputationRep:
    I am scared of letting people down if I do leave and then what will I do with my life all my hard work will have went to pot and I'll be kicking myself in three years time. Home sicknesses is a big thing for me the feeling never seems to go away and I've personalised my room but that's not helped I just feel so lonely and I'm trying to get involved so hard but I haven't clicked with anyone. It's panicking me that half of my flat mates have signed a house for next year. I applied to go to my home town uni again but they haven't been in touch yet but the uni I'm currently back ate at which i hate is a Russel group university. I'm just finding coping with it for the next few years impossible but everyone says it flies by however it's not helping my mental or physical state being here what so ever.
    Speaking from having already dropped out of a degree and doing nursing as my second I do think that sometimes you need to do what makes you happy. I found I was more disappointed in myself than anything when I left but staying and being unhappy I was gonna leave at some point anyway. I really do think if you hate it that much you need to think properly about it.
    Also it's only a personal opinion but 'Russell group' unis and all that don't seem that great and seem a bit useless for nursing and I don't see how much it'd effect your career, especially if you don't enjoy being there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swagio)
    Speaking from having already dropped out of a degree and doing nursing as my second I do think that sometimes you need to do what makes you happy. I found I was more disappointed in myself than anything when I left but staying and being unhappy I was gonna leave at some point anyway. I really do think if you hate it that much you need to think properly about it.
    Also it's only a personal opinion but 'Russell group' unis and all that don't seem that great and seem a bit useless for nursing and I don't see how much it'd effect your career, especially if you don't enjoy being there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm just unsure what to do? This is the better university for me but I am unhappy and I'm not sure if i can cope. I've rang my home university answer im not sure I can he and transfer I also applied through UCAS for January intake but that's full and I haven't been asked for an interview in September. I already can't wait for these three years to be over with! I miss home so much but everyone does say time flies by. In september I'd be in so much debt with no bursary and paying my tuition fees aswell and I would owe back this years money but money I spent nothing when it comes to my happiness. I'm hoping when I'm on placement I feel better and time will fly by

ReputationRep:
    I'm just unsure what to do? This is the better university for me but I am unhappy and I'm not sure if i can cope. I've rang my home university answer im not sure I can he and transfer I also applied through UCAS for January intake but that's full and I haven't been asked for an interview in September. I already can't wait for these three years to be over with! I miss home so much but everyone does say time flies by. In september I'd be in so much debt with no bursary and paying my tuition fees aswell and I would owe back this years money but money I spent nothing when it comes to my happiness. I'm hoping when I'm on placement I feel better and time will fly by
    Maybe if you're that unhappy it isn't the better uni for you? Doesn't really sound it. Debt always feels so big but I guess I can say I left uni with debt and managed to go back- it took 2 years but in reality I could have afforded it in a year with working.

Placements great - just keep in mind that there will be difficult times though and you need to think of how you will cope with that.
    I'm a big fan of resilience building, mindfulness and decider skills.. Words which often get me some dirty looks!! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 24, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.