Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just started bsc psychology at Leicester - trickier than I anticipated but hey.

I have noticed something unusual about the intake which I'd like to get views on, i.e. What's happening on other courses

The year is 240 - 250 students. Maybe 30 males and so 210 females. Of that say 100 are Caucasian, and say 150 are .... not.

The demographic make up of U.K. Society based on census information is say 80% white British. So if this were reflected On the course, approx 190 to 200 people would be Caucasian.

So the psychology course at Leicester is 12.5% male and 40% Caucasian, both groups are under represented.

So if psychology doesn't appeal to males, similar to nursing then ok.

What I don't understand is whether psychology does not appeal to Caucasian girls and boys or is the university positively discriminating or actively recruiting black and Asian students?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    These demographics are pretty similar across most universities, particularly areas such as London and Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean because Leicester has a diverse ethnical mix and that results in this being reflected in the student population?

Is this the reason? In a word - no.

There are very few local people in comparison to people from all over the country and beyond, so its nothing to do with Leicester people attending the local university.

Its more likely positive recruitment, which means a demographic has been 'preferred'
    or
    That psychology appeals to two fifths of the white population of the UK and to three fifths of black and asian students .... and if this is true then every university will report similar statistical splits
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Fiftyman)
    Do you mean because Leicester has a diverse ethnical mix and that results in this being reflected in the student population?

Is this the reason? In a word - no.

There are very few local people in comparison to people from all over the country and beyond, so its nothing to do with Leicester people attending the local university.

Its more likely positive recruitment, which means a demographic has been 'preferred'
    or
    That psychology appeals to two fifths of the white population of the UK and to three fifths of black and asian students .... and if this is true then every university will report similar statistical splits
    I meant that certain cities attract more international students, not local students staying at local universities.

And I'd be interested if there was any evidence suggesting psychology has a more diverse/international background at the same university than any other subject.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a study for someone out there ......

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.