The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Veterinary Nursing at Middlesex University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gardner24
Hi
If you decide to do a placement at home rather than stay at uni, what happens about paying for halls? Do you still have to pay the full amount even if you aren't staying there for the whole year?
Thanks!
Katy

Hi Katy!

Sorry for the late response.

If you stay at Middlesex halls you can specify how long you want your tenancy to be when you book it online; choose the option for only the first semester. If you stay on private halls then it varies between companies however many offer 'short stays' so you could just choose the duration that you need.
Let me know if you need any clarification!

Carla
Middlesex Course Ambassador
Veterinary Nurse
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Reply 41
Original post by Carla at MDX
Hi Katy!

Sorry for the late response.

If you stay at Middlesex halls you can specify how long you want your tenancy to be when you book it online; choose the option for only the first semester. If you stay on private halls then it varies between companies however many offer 'short stays' so you could just choose the duration that you need.
Let me know if you need any clarification!

Carla
Veterinary Nurse

Hey im not sure if i want to do my placements near the uni or if i want to go home for them. It depends how i get on at uni. I want to be involved with all the events etc but moving back home after just 11 weeks i feel like im going to miss out on the whole uni lifestyle, so i dont want to make that decision until im there but i dont know how that will work with the accommodation, do I have to make the decision when booking the halls or do they have a different option for the students that have placements on their course?
Original post by Jade.1
Hey im not sure if i want to do my placements near the uni or if i want to go home for them. It depends how i get on at uni. I want to be involved with all the events etc but moving back home after just 11 weeks i feel like im going to miss out on the whole uni lifestyle, so i dont want to make that decision until im there but i dont know how that will work with the accommodation, do I have to make the decision when booking the halls or do they have a different option for the students that have placements on their course?

Hi,

I completely understand your dilemma, unfortunately I don't know the answer off the top of my head as I didn't stay in uni halls myself, so I will find out the answer for you.

Carla
Veterinary Nursing
Reply 43
Hi, my daughter has been to inteview at CAW Leeds this week and has come away with the impression that the only accomodation available to her is travel lodge or hotels. Her dad went with her and all he could report back was that they weren't shown accomodation. The website isn't much use, please can you advise?
Reply 44
Hi,

I completely understand your dilemma, unfortunately I don't know the answer off the top of my head as I didn't stay in uni halls myself, so I will find out the answer for you.

Carla
Veterinary Nursing

Hey I booked my accommodation, I basically had to make my mind up there and then. Also we got sent an email telling us about an applicants day where we get to meet all the staff and other applicants and have a taster lesson etc. It says there's limited places and that invites will be sent out in February but I've heard nothing?? Do you know anything about this? Thanks.
Original post by Luly
Hi, my daughter has been to inteview at CAW Leeds this week and has come away with the impression that the only accomodation available to her is travel lodge or hotels. Her dad went with her and all he could report back was that they weren't shown accomodation. The website isn't much use, please can you advise?

Hi!

Firstly, apologies for the late response, I've been trying to find out the correct answer for you as unfortunately I didn't know about the accommodation at Leeds. However, I've spoken to the programme leader and she has informed me that although there aren't student halls like there are at the Hendon campus, they are working in collaboration with the human nursing facilities nearby and are looking to be able to house veterinary nursing students there, although there are other accommodation options nearby, including hotels which I'm assuming would be un-homely and an expensive option. If your daughter is offered a place to study and wishes to accept it as her first choice on UCAS, then she would need to contact the course leader for the Leeds centre who would then seek accommodation on her behalf (contact details and further details should be sent to you upon acceptance of the offer).

I hope this has helped! Please let me know if this hasn't covered it or if you wish to speak directly to the programme leader who can put you in contact with the Leeds centre then just let me know and I can put you two in contact with each other!

Carla
Veterinary Nursing
Original post by Jade.1
Hey I booked my accommodation, I basically had to make my mind up there and then. Also we got sent an email telling us about an applicants day where we get to meet all the staff and other applicants and have a taster lesson etc. It says there's limited places and that invites will be sent out in February but I've heard nothing?? Do you know anything about this? Thanks.

Hi!

So did you book it for the whole year?

Yes I will be at this event so don't worry you haven't missed it! I've been given a preliminary date of 17th June so unless they haven't updated me, it should be then. I don't have anything to do with the invitations however I remember I didn't get mine as early as February so don't worry, if you still haven't heard anything in a month or so then let me know, but I think they hold off of the invites until all of the interviews have taken place. It's a really useful day so I'd definitely come along if you have the chance to! Please feel free to ask me anything you may be wondering!

Carla
Veterinary Nursing
Reply 47
Hi!

So did you book it for the whole year?

Yes I will be at this event so don't worry you haven't missed it! I've been given a preliminary date of 17th June so unless they haven't updated me, it should be then. I don't have anything to do with the invitations however I remember I didn't get mine as early as February so don't worry, if you still haven't heard anything in a month or so then let me know, but I think they hold off of the invites until all of the interviews have taken place. It's a really useful day so I'd definitely come along if you have the chance to! Please feel free to ask me anything you may be wondering!

Carla
Veterinary Nursing

Hey, so I booked for one semester at the moment but they said I've got until October to change my mind. It's a tough one!
Oh that sounds good I'll definitely be coming to that! Will be good to meet everybody! Can you tell me our term dates and how much summer leave we get etc. Sorry for the million questions they keep coming to me haha x
Reply 48
Hi!Firstly, apologies for the late response, I've been trying to find out the correct answer for you as unfortunately I didn't know about the accommodation at Leeds. However, I've spoken to the programme leader and she has informed me that although there aren't student halls like there are at the Hendon campus, they are working in collaboration with the human nursing facilities nearby and are looking to be able to house veterinary nursing students there, although there are other accommodation options nearby, including hotels which I'm assuming would be un-homely and an expensive option. If your daughter is offered a place to study and wishes to accept it as her first choice on UCAS, then she would need to contact the course leader for the Leeds centre who would then seek accommodation on her behalf (contact details and further details should be sent to you upon acceptance of the offer). I hope this has helped! Please let me know if this hasn't covered it or if you wish to speak directly to the programme leader who can put you in contact with the Leeds centre then just let me know and I can put you two in contact with each other!CarlaMiddlesex Course AmbassadorVeterinary Nursing
That's brilliant, thank you so much for your time
Reply 49
Hi,

I've been offered a place at Middlesex university and I have confirmed it as my first choice. However I have seen people on the forum mentioning an open day on the 18th of march. I have not received an email telling me about this open day but i would like to go to it.

could you let me know if this is actually an open day and whether i have to be invited to it?
thank you
Original post by Jade.1
Hey, so I booked for one semester at the moment but they said I've got until October to change my mind. It's a tough one!
Oh that sounds good I'll definitely be coming to that! Will be good to meet everybody! Can you tell me our term dates and how much summer leave we get etc. Sorry for the million questions they keep coming to me haha x

Hi!

So I think a term is probably the better (and cheaper) option for now as you are not yet sure of placement etc, so you've got some time to think about that. Yeah I remember mine was really good and I met some of my best friends there! I can't give you the exact dates because they haven't been released yet but the year goes approximately as follows:

End Sep/beginning Oct: Induction week then begin term
Mid December: end of term
Beginning Jan: start placement
Beginning April: End placement, begin 'study leave'
May: Exams
End May: Start second placement
Mid-end August: End placement
September: holiday

So you get two to three weeks holiday at Christmas, then nothing until 'study leave', which you have exams in so don't make my mistake and book a holiday in study leave :smile: Then you have about 2 weeks after exams before starting the next placement and about 5-6 weeks after it before the start of second year, so it's much more intensive than other courses!

Please don't apologise, keep the questions coming, that's what I'm here for!

Carla
Veterinary Nursing
Original post by Darcy098
Hi,

I've been offered a place at Middlesex university and I have confirmed it as my first choice. However I have seen people on the forum mentioning an open day on the 18th of march. I have not received an email telling me about this open day but i would like to go to it.

could you let me know if this is actually an open day and whether i have to be invited to it?
thank you

Hi!

So the open day on the 18th March is an Applicant Day, and is more specifically designed for students who are yet to accept their offer. Unfortunately this Applicant Day is not running for Veterinary Nursing applicants and offer holders as we have our very own Pre-Induction Day which happens mid June. I would thoroughly recommend coming along to that one as it is just with the students who, like yourself, have accepted Middlesex as their 1st choice so are the people you are going to be with for your degree. There's also a general university Open Day on the 10th June if you wish to come along to that one as well.
Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Carla
Veterinary Nursing
Reply 52
So when booking accommodation, is it the September to June or September to September??
Original post by Sprite1
So when booking accommodation, is it the September to June or September to September??

Hi!

That depends where you want to do your placements in the first year. If you want to stay in London for the whole year then it is September to September, if only for the first placement and exams then it's until June. Alternatively you can book only until the beginning of January if you wish to do your placements at home/ outside of London.

Hope that helps!

Carla
Veterinary Nursing
Reply 54
Thanks, so if until June, does that mean you'll be carrying out your second placement back at home?
Also, if you have applied for accommodation, can you change your choices or do you have to wait for them to make you an offer first?

If so, how can i request to change my first choice of halls? Because I kind of want to change.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
I was also wondering if it was possible to request to change your accommodation when applying?
Reply 56
Hi thanka for all the information, much appreciated! How many instalments does our loan get paid to us in and when abouts?
Original post by Sprite1
Thanks, so if until June, does that mean you'll be carrying out your second placement back at home?
Also, if you have applied for accommodation, can you change your choices or do you have to wait for them to make you an offer first?

If so, how can i request to change my first choice of halls? Because I kind of want to change.

Hi!

So in terms of changing your choice you would need to talk to the accommodation people themselves, phoning them is probably easiest. The second placement block is end of May until August so either you'd have to find somewhere to stay for a few months or go back home. If you want to go your placement in London I'd go for Sep-Sep to save the hassle. All changes etc would have to be approved by them obviously so I'd just ring them once you've applied and sort it out as I can't promise anything!

Carla
Veterinary Nursing
Original post by Jade.1
Hi thanka for all the information, much appreciated! How many instalments does our loan get paid to us in and when abouts?

Hi!

No worries, I'm here to help!

It gets paid in three instalments in September, January and April, though the dates can vary. The April payment is slightly larger than the rest (mine was only £100 more so it's pretty much the same each time).

Carla
Veterinary Nursing
Reply 59
Hi!

So in terms of changing your choice you would need to talk to the accommodation people themselves, phoning them is probably easiest. The second placement block is end of May until August so either you'd have to find somewhere to stay for a few months or go back home. If you want to go your placement in London I'd go for Sep-Sep to save the hassle. All changes etc would have to be approved by them obviously so I'd just ring them once you've applied and sort it out as I can't promise anything!

Carla
Veterinary Nursing

Okay thank you, do you know what days and times the accommodation office is open?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending