Turn on thread page Beta

This website essentially ruined my entire life watch

ReputationRep:
    This website essentially ruined my life.

Three years ago in 2013 I was essentially one of the most academic and high achieving people you could imagine.

Signed up for this website because I wanted to know what A - Level subjects were taking were correct to get into a top university (which is a pipe dream now might I add) and gradually got more and more addicted to it because of the current year threads and the russell group hurt heal threads.

Furthermore I had lost all of my friends as they had gone to college so I kind, of 'replaced' my old friends with my new found 'tar friends' because I was feeling lonely.

As TSR is a study related website whenever I was on TSR it essentially felt like I was studying and it didn't feel like I was procrastinating and wasting my life.

Anyway, because of all the procrastinating I did though TSR I essentially developed full on clinical depression, which lead to me not doing as dell in my A - Levels as I would have liked.

Fast forward three years and I am still depressed, and am now taking a gap year and am hoping to 'cure' my depression caused by TSR.

If I didn't go on this website I wouldn't be depressed and I would be much, much happier.

Also what university you go to really doesn't make a difference in the long term. The people on this website ridiculing others because of what university they are planning to go to have absolutely no idea how the real world works. (Comparing myself to these individuals is probably what made me depressed in the first place)

ReputationRep:
    So it's your own fault?

ReputationRep:
    Also I'm almost 20, I've had no relationships, essentially all my prospects are gone

ReputationRep:
    Get off TSR is probably a good start

ReputationRep:
    Do you perhaps think the first step in resolving your position might be taking responsibility for your own free choices rather than pointing a finger of blame at the website and those who post on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhGod)

Three years ago in 2013 I was essentially one of the most academic and high achieving people you could imagine.

Signed up for this website because I wanted to know what A - Level subjects were taking were correct to get into a top university (which is a pipe dream now might I add) and gradually got more and more addicted to it because of the current year threads and the russell group hurt heal threads.

Furthermore I had lost all of my friends as they had gone to college so I kind, of 'replaced' my old friends with my new found 'tar friends' because I was feeling lonely.

As TSR is a study related website whenever I was on TSR it essentially felt like I was studying and it didn't feel like I was procrastinating and wasting my life.

Anyway, because of all the procrastinating I did though TSR I essentially developed full on clinical depression, which lead to me not doing as dell in my A - Levels as I would have liked.

Fast forward three years and I am still depressed, and am now taking a gap year and am hoping to 'cure' my depression caused by TSR.

If I didn't go on this website I wouldn't be depressed and I would be much, much happier.

Also what university you go to really doesn't make a difference in the long term. The people on this website ridiculing others because of what university they are planning to go to have absolutely no idea how the real world works. (Comparing myself to these individuals is probably what made me depressed in the first place)
    No you ruined your life, joined forcing you to be on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    pointing a finger of blame at the website and those who post on it?
    I never blamed the website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhGod)
    (Original post by OhGod)
    I never blamed the website.
    Given the subject is 'this website', the verb is 'ruined' and the object is 'my life', I struggle to understand how you would claim that you 'didn't blame the website'.

ReputationRep:
    its a ****in website - no one forces you to log in every day smh
    does anyone even take responsibility for anything anymore omg :lol: -_- the end is nigh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Lmao 2/10 troll
    I can assure you that I'm not trolling.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'd suggest you consider the possibility that you were procrastinating because you were becoming depressed (which is not unusual), rather than the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    its a ****in website - no one forces you to log in every day smh
    does anyone even take responsibility for anything anymore omg :lol: -_- the end is nigh
    I wish someone had told me that three years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markovchain17)
    Get off TSR is probably a good start
    This is my first post in about 2 months.

ReputationRep:
    Given the subject is 'this website', the verb is 'ruined' and the object is 'my life', I struggle to understand how you would claim that you 'didn't blame the website'.
    I didn't realise that the website would make me procrastinate so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    I'd suggest you consider the possibility that you were procrastinating because you were becoming depressed (which is not unusual), rather than the other way around.
    That probably is the case. Thanks for the response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhGod)
    I didn't realise that the website would make me procrastinate so much.
    A packet of hobnobs and a cup of tea can make you procrastinate? Would they be similarly guilty? Or is it actually that procrastination is a fact of life - we ALL procrastinate. Rather than cast around for something to blame, most of us try to stay on topic. Not easy, but then nothing worthwhile in life is.

ReputationRep:
    A packet of hobnobs and a cup of tea can make you procrastinate? Would they be similarly guilty?
    :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhGod)

Dont worry scrub life has to get better eh?

On a brighter not have you seen the graphics on Battlefield 1? Blimey! Dont worry about life being ****, soon gaming will be so beautiful and encompassing you wont even need to engage in pesky, advisory forums like TSR (or society for that matter).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE)
    Dont worry scrub life has to get better eh?

On a brighter not have you seen the graphics on Battlefield 1? Blimey! Dont worry about life being ****, soon gaming will be so beautiful and encompassing you wont even need to engage in pesky, advisory forums like TSR (or society for that matter).
    Thanks for cheering me up,

ReputationRep:
    Rather than cast around for something to blame, most of us try to stay on topic. Not easy, but then nothing worthwhile in life is.
    Thank you for the response

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.