Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! My name is Froya and I am the Course Ambassador for the Human Resource Management courses in Middlesex University. At the moment, I am in my third and final year of my BA (Honors) Human Resource Management.
    If you have any questions related to the HR courses in Middlesex, please don't hesitate to reach out to me!

Froya
    Middlesex Course Ambassador
    Human Resource Management

ReputationRep:
    FAQs

What does the lecture scheduling / timetable look like?
    Your timetable will mostly consist of classes in the mornings and afternoons with some evening classes. You usually have classes scheduled maximum four days a week.

Do I have any influence over my timetable?
    Once you receive your timetable, you might be able to move some of your lectures around. This option is open for about two weeks but availability depends on how many lectures are set up in a certain module. If there is only one, then you cannot change the time. If there are several, you might be able to join another scheduled lecture if it suits you better.

What modules are taught during first year?
    Your first year modules are:

1. Management and Organisation
    2. Introduction to HRM
    3. Work, Business and the External Environment
    4. Applications and Research in Management

Who is the course leader and how can I contact them?
    The programme leader is called David Saxon. You can email him at [email protected]

What are the placement options during my undergraduate?
    There are three placement options to choose between when you study at Middlesex:
    1. You can take on a placement of a full year in between your second and third year, extending your degree to 4 years.
    2. You can work both summers i.e. between year 1 and 2, and year 2 and 3.
    3. You can do a part time internship as an optional module during your third and final year of your degree.

How does studying HRM in MDX help me build my professional network?
    As an HRM student, you get free membership in the CIPD. This is the professional body for HR professionals. Middlesex is the only university ever to offer this. CIPD host a number of events and networking opportunities throughout the year which allows you to build your network, meeting working HR professionals as well as to build on your skills and knowledge.

What support is provided to me in regards to finding a placement?
    The employability service will come to on of your classes and do a session on placement options. You are also able to book appointments with them for advice and to send them your CV for quality check. They will advice you on matter such as; building your CV, making a compelling CV, how to write a cover letter and so on.

What course and reading resources will I be provided with?
    You will receive an online copy of all your core reading books. Also, through the library on campus you have access to half a million books and online resources and journals so you should find all you need with ease.

What if I choose to do a 4-year sandwich course but change my mind?
    Don’t worry, if you wish to change back to a 3-year full-time course, all you have to do is inform the University to make the change, and you will be bale to continue your studies into the third year as usual.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! To give you proper insight into the student life at Middlesex, I will write weekly posts about what I am up to. I hope it will help set the stage for what to expect when you start your own student journey.

This week have been all about catching up on reading and assessments, which means most of the lectures has been called off. I have ongoing group presentations in three of my modules at the moment so I have been in and out of group meetings, studying in the library, and drop-in sessions with lecturers to discuss upcoming assessments. I found these sessions very helpful; to get clarification and pointers as to what I need to do to get a good mark. For the reading, I have focused especially on the module 'leadership and management development' since this is my favourite one.
    I haven't had time to do much outside of studies this week as I have been in the library as much as I can. I really enjoy being there as I always go with a friend and sit in the group study area with snacks and drinks so that it turns into a social thing too.
    Despite having a lot to do, I allowed myself one evening off in the middle of the week where I first went to Volleyball training and later went to the on campus bar where they live streamed the US election. Not very happy with the outcome.. Being part of a sports team is a gret way to keep in shape, meet wonderful people, and get a study break. I very highly recommend it even if it is just for the social side of it.

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hi again! Another week has passed and things are getting hectic. I have three group presentations coming up in the next three weeks so this week have been focused group meetings and putting together our power point presentations. In 'Leadership and Management Development', the lecturer had tasked us with making a 5 minute version of our presentation to be presented as a surgery. I found this extremely helpful as we received feedback on what could be improved and got to ask questions. It also relaxed me to get confirmation from the lecturer that we are on the right track. The group dynamics have been surprisingly good for the whole class as we have chosen our own groups and from what I saw, there will be a lot of good presentations.
    If you have any questions about my normal week of study or about being a student in general, please don't hesitate to reply to my thread.

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! This week has been quite effective. Monday I had group meetings and a very interesting lecture in 'Strategic Human Resource Management' on the topic of strategic reward. Tuesday my first group had our presentation in 'Contemporary issues in HR' and I feel it went very well. It is nice to have the first one over with and one less thing to focus on for now.
    As I am on the University Volleyball team, I had a match both Wednesday and Thursday so I haven't had as much time in the library as I usually have. On the other hand, I really enjoy being part of a sports team as it keeps me active and takes my mind off work for a while.
    Thursday's leadership lecture was the last one before presentations start in that module as well. Again I feel like my group is getting on very well and the teacher continues to give us tips on what makes a good presentation.
    Friday I spent most of the day in the library to do the rest of the work for this week, and to prepare for the upcoming week. I want to make sure to stay on top of everything so I can get a relaxing christmas break with my family. Hope your week was good as well!

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Already the week is over and it has been oh so quick. Monday I had my strategic HRM lecture and then spent the evening in the magical Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. It gave me such a christmas feeling to walk around there with all the lights, rides, food and hot chocolate. Tuesday was rather busy as normal. I had a group meeting in the morning for a presentation next Tuesday, then had classes from 1pm-5.30pm. Wednesday morning I went to a photoshoot for course ambassadors. It was a lot of fun and we spent 1.5 hours taking pictures all around the university. The rest of the day was spent in a group meeting for my leadership module. We have our presentation next week but since some groups were presenting this week then we all needed to hand in our presentation to the teacher and we are not allowed to change anything on it from now on. It is the most fair method of ensuring some groups not getting more time on assessments than others. The groups that presented did very well and it is fascinating to see how far some students have come over the last 3 years here. Friday was spent in the library, preparing for next week, and the evening was topped off with going to the assessed performance on campus set up by the dance students. I really enjoy seeing what the media and performing arts come up with during the year and great news is that the tickets are free. Hope you have all had a wonderful week as well.

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! Christmas is coming up and with it this week has been two group presentations. First one, on Tuesday, was in my optional module, ‘the service encounter’ and was an analysis of JW Marriott’s service and its impact on the employees’ wellbeing and company objectives. I feel like it went really well and the lecturer seemed happy.
    On Wednesday, I first attended the Board of Studies meeting as a Student Voice Leader to give feedback to the university about our course, then I had a group meeting, and then had a job interview for a professional recruiting position in London. I was very excited as they were the one contacting me through LinkedIn after having seen my profile.
    The second presentation was in 'Leadership and Management Development' and is the one I have been quite nervous for. It is such a fascinating subject but some topics can be rather difficult to remember. Still it is my favourite module by far!
    The rest of Thursday I spent helping 2nd year student with 'operations management' as a Student Learning Assistant (SLA) and Friday I spent in the library. This allowed me to take the weekend off from studying and enjoy free time with my friends.
    Again, if you wonder anything about the HRM course or student life at Middlesex, please don't hesitate to reply to my thread.

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    So, the Christmas break is just commencing after a week of much self-study. I had drop-in sessions in two of my modules and the third one we got time off class to prepare research for the upcoming report.
    The drop-in sessions were very helpful. We spoke to the lecturers and asked questions about the report and essay that are due in February. It allowed me to get a clear sense of direction for my report and I spent a lot of time after doing research and printing it off for free in the library to bring home and read over the Christmas break. It will be good to get a head start on the assignments so I can feel confident about what I turn in.
    My fourth module, Leadership and Management Development, had a lecture as normal, and we also had the feedback sessions regarding our presentations last week. I'm happy with the grade my group got and the feedback is highly relevant both to the presentations after the break and to my final report so I will keep it in mind when writing it.
    Have a nice Christmas everyone!

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    The Christmas week has been incredible. It has been a mix of food, family, reading, food, research, and more food. Already, I have gotten a good start on the research I printed for my report in strategic HRM and then hope I will be able to start drafting the report over the coming week, alongside continued research.
    Today, I am flying home to Oslo so will have to try and find some time in between meeting friends and the rest of my family to sneak off and do some more reading and writing. Also, I should have started this long ago, but I will set aside a day or more to apply for graduate schemes. I am already up for a job but want to have all my bases covered and make sure I end up in a job that I am happy with and can develop much in.

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    I don't have too much to report on this week.. I have gotten over half way through my research by sneaking off to study in between all the family that drops by to say hello and ends up staying most of the day. From what I have read already, and while I now read, I am developing a vision of the reports in my mind so I feel it will be quite simple to put words on the paper as soon as I start writing. I have found that is the most important thing whenever I have a report or essay to write, always do enough research before you start writing so you have a clear sense of direction and know what message or which points you want to convey. If you have this strategy in mind when you begin, then the assignment is for me always so much easier to write, and the quality is a lot higher to begin with so it takes less work in the end.
    Happy new year everyone!

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    The new year is a great time to establish good routines in regards to work and studies. This is my aim for the coming months as I will be very busy finishing off my bachelor and preparing for the time after. I am hoping that good routines will allow me some free time every now and then for things that make me happy.
    This week has mostly been about preparing for university to start again and catching up with work friends that I will have little time to see in the coming months. It is very important to take some time for yourself and have fun while being a student. Being happy is the key to be motivated with what you are doing and what you want out of life. After the holidays, being home and seeing my family and friends again, I feel motivated to buckle down and work hard the next few months until Uni finishes.

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    First week back in uni has certainly been busy! All my classes have run as normal and I have spent much time in the library to write my reports and do the weekly reading. As my timetable is very practical without a lot of scheduled classes, it is easy for me to find time to spend in the library and really get into the zone. I always go to the library with someone, either from my class or that I live with. It is much more fun when you study together and can chat about things that interest you or that you don't understand.
    This week, the teachers have all set aside time during the lectures to go through the assignments in more detail so we know exactly what they are looking for and expect us to do.
    From now and until I finish I have a deadline about every 2.5 weeks so it is important to stay focused and motivated. This also includes allowing yourself some time to yourself for fun and relaxing every now and then. It is important in times like these to not overwork and stress yourself. That won't work in the long term.
    Where you are now, with deciding which University to accept an offer from and planning your future, can also be a stressful time so if you have any questions or want any advice then don't hesitate in typing in a reply here!

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    This week I have been pretty much staying in the library all the time. The strategic HRM report is due next Friday so I am in the final stretch of putting all my research down on paper. On Monday, we had a lecture on the strategic role of learning and development. It is fascinating to see L&D from this perspective rather than as a one-time, isolated thing. Tuesday we had the learning enhancement team in uni come in and give a session in Essay Writing. The final assessment for this module is an essay so is great to get some guidance on the technical side of it and have the opportunity to ask questions. This team will also be available for drop-in sessions where we can bring the essay and review the structure etc with them. I will do this in about a month or so when I have hopefully started writing.
    Thursday, we only had an hour lecture and then I went to the library for the rest of the day to continue on the report.
    Because I have been studying so much all week, I allowed myself Friday off and went shopping and cinema with my flatmates, and stuffed my face with popcorn. Was the perfect ending to a hard week.

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    This week has pretty much just been spent in the library. The strategic HRM report was due Friday night so my friend from class and I brought lots of snacks and drinks to the library to bang out long writing sessions together. At the end of the week my brain felt rather fried but I was happy with the report I handed in. The rest of the week I spent in bed being sick. Im hoping to get well fast as I really don't have time to be sick.
    Hope you had a better weekend than me!

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    Busy, busy, busy week! I was still sick in bed most of this week and lost valuable time that I really couldn't afford losing. I started my new job in the executive search business on Thursday and have a lot to get into. I have been able to tailor the work schedule around my classes so it won't affect my studies. In the weekdays I will juggle work and classes and my weekends will go to study and writing my reports. It will be hard work but it is important to plan for the future in your final year to make sure you have something to go to.
    The same goes for this weekend. Saturday morning and all of Sunday goes to writing on my report draft for my leadership module. We will bring it in to class next week and the teacher will sit down with the students and go over it and provide feedback and advice.
    Have a good weekend!

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    This week was much about balancing work and studies. As I don't have many schedules classes I have still managed to find time for the library. My daily schedule is usually work in the morning, classes in the afternoon, group meeting and then library. This Saturday I am also working in the university for our open day and I am hoping to see you all there if you haven't still made your decision! It is all quite hard now but I know the work will be all worth it in the end.
    There is also an Applicant day in university coming up in two weeks where I will be working so Ill see you one way or the other. Make sure to think of questions!

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    'Work, work, work, work, work, work' pretty much describes my week. Next Monday is the deadline of the Essay in 'Contemporary Issues in HR' so that is what I have mostly focused my efforts on. Both Monday and Tuesday, I had work in the morning, class and group meeting in the evening as the leadership presentation is coming up in two weeks. My group is a little behind and I am struggling to find time for meetings with my new busy work schedule but I think we'll be fine when we get together with one more meeting. the rest of the week I was working all day with my recruitment job as I had a deadline of sending in the shortlist by Friday. It is a lot of fun getting into the labour market and start working with what I have spent so much time studying. Also, it is fascinating to be on the other side if the recruitment process and actually be doing the interviews.
    Hope to see you all for the applicant day in MDX 25th February!

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    This week has gone by so fast! The programme leader of HRM came by class today and took the time to go through the process of how they calculate your final grade. I think it was a big relief to many in class as they realised how you don't need to be perfect in every module to still get a good overall grade. This week we also had an exam preparation class in one of the modules to make sure we get a head start and have enough time for revision. In the leadership module we are coming to the end of our second group presentation of the year and so we did our 5 minute mock exams for just the teacher and he gave us feedback. The presentations are due to delivered next week and it was clear that fellow students were nervous so the mock presentations are good to practice for the big day and speaking of the topics. It has meant three long group meetings this week in order to finish it all in time, but to avoid the students living far having to come into uni on days without classes, we did one of the meetings over Skype which turned out to work surprisingly well. Saturday morning we have the applicant day in MDX so I am working there, interacting and networking with HRM applicants. We also have an essay deadline on Monday so I will be spending the rest of the weekend in the library finishing it off.
    I hope I'll see you all on the Applicant day! Doors open at 10am.

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    What a week. I had a deadline Monday night so after work in the morning I was in library all day and evening and celebrated with a well deserved drink in the local pub. The next day was work in the morning and group meeting all day. The presentation had to be handed in Thursday morning as the first groups would start presenting and the lecturer doesn't want anyone to get more time than others. Wednesday I had a full working day and went to watch the musical 'Mamma Mia' in the evening as my family was in town a couple of days. It was a great show and I always love getting some cultural inputs every now and then. The three presentations we say Thursday were good! It was easy to tell that the people were nervous and so relieved when it was over. I can't wait for next week when I will be done with mine. Friday I had work all day again but this time I went into central and met up with a recruiter in my team to work together. I got my corporate phone, a Samsung Galaxy, that I can now use to call candidates with instead of using my private phone. My favourite moment of the day was during lunch when we bought sandwiches and sat on the stairs of the statue on the middle of Piccadilly Circus. We were surrounded by other people enjoying the outside, three guys with guitars and a drum singing and playing and the life of London buzzing around us. It felt great to sit still in such a fast paced city and feel that I am really living in the city I do.

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

ReputationRep:
    Finally presentation week! I have been so excited for this week to come. It always feels so great when you can tick another assessment off your list and knowing it is one less thing to work on. As we handed in the presentations and notes last week, the only preparation we had left for this was the actual delivery of the content so we didn't need to have long group meetings this Monday afternoon like we have had the last weeks. Instead, after work and class, I went for a long walk in the huge park next to campus with my friend and her dog as the weather was amazing and we wanted to lick some sun.
    My Tuesday was really long as normal but I finally made it back into Volleyball training as I could reshuffle some of my commitments. Work in the morning, 1 hour group meeting, lectures, then straight to training for some fun and social activity. I spent all day Wednesday working and now things are really ramping up! I am now working on finding candidates and generating shortlists for 7 jobs simultaneously. I must admit I like having the pressure and staying busy. After going library to do some research, I took the night off and went for a late night beer and a few games of pool with a buddy to relax and take my mind of uni and work. This turned out to not be the best idea in the world as I got back home rather late and needed to meet my group in uni 8a the next morning for our presentation at 9am. We still made it through and I think we did well. Most of all it is just a relief to cross it off my list. The rest of the week is quite eventless with Friday working all day and in library in the evening, and Saturday and Sunday both spent in the Library starting on my upcoming report.

Froya Fuglestad
    Course Ambassador MDX

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 26, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.