How long did you wait for your tutor to write your reference?

Watch
SabbyCat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How long has everyone waited from when you sent your application to your school/college, to when your reference was done and the tutor sent it off?

Just wondering how long I can wait before I can start bugging my tutor about it. I have a feeling he might be one of those people to take a while.
squirrology
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I waited about 3 weeks for my teachers to complete my reference, but it took this long because they wanted to get all oxbridge applications sent off first, I sent mine on Sept 28th but because I wasn't applying to Oxbridge they didnt send mine till Octover 17th.
sail999
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I waited for about 4 days, my tutor did it relatively quickly.
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SabbyCat)
How long has everyone waited from when you sent your application to your school/college, to when your reference was done and the tutor sent it off?

Just wondering how long I can wait before I can start bugging my tutor about it. I have a feeling he might be one of those people to take a while.
As long as it's sent by the January deadline, it doesn't matter.

Talk to your tutor and see how long he thinks it will take. He will know how much of it is written, how many other people are before you, and how many other things he needs to do. Then if it isn't done by the time he thinks he can complete it you can remind him.
Day_dreamer4life
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Asked on friday, sent by tuesday.
jessicaac
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I asked earlier he's writing it in the morning

Posted from TSR Mobile
SabbyCat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
As long as it's sent by the January deadline, it doesn't matter.

Talk to your tutor and see how long he thinks it will take. He will know how much of it is written, how many other people are before you, and how many other things he needs to do. Then if it isn't done by the time he thinks he can complete it you can remind him.
Okay thanks! Are you sure it really doesn't matter though- I'm just thinking that most of my unis are already giving out offers, so isn't it kind of first come first served in this the first round of offer-giving? then after Jan 15th they'll have less places left to give people. So wouldn't you in reality have more chance of getting an offer while they still know they have loads of places left?
Or am I getting confused?
Thanks!
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Okay thanks! Are you sure it really doesn't matter though- I'm just thinking that most of my unis are already giving out offers, so isn't it kind of first come first served in this the first round of offer-giving? then after Jan 15th they'll have less places left to give people. So wouldn't you in reality have more chance of getting an offer while they still know they have loads of places left?
Thanks!
The 15th Jan bit is the important thing. So long as your application is received by then all your universities give equal consideration no matter when you apply.
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks!
If you apply before January 15th, then unis must give you equal consideration. So there's no advantage in applying early. Unis don't have a set number of offers to give out, because they know that some people will decline their offer and others won't meet it. So they can give out many more offers than they have places. Even though some unis are giving out offers now it doesn't mean they will run out.
jessicaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
After the reference was added how long did you wait for the school/college to send your application

Posted from TSR Mobile
mrsweg59
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My tutor had mine done by the first friday back at school after the summer holiday.
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jessicaac)
After the reference was added how long did you wait for the school/college to send your application

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends how your school do it. Sometimes, the same teacher will add your reference and send it off. If so, they can do it instantly. Sometimes, a different teacher will do each bit. In that case, it can take a few days for it to be sent.
jessicaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
It depends how your school do it. Sometimes, the same teacher will add your reference and send it off. If so, they can do it instantly. Sometimes, a different teacher will do each bit. In that case, it can take a few days for it to be sent.
Ah I see okay thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (222)
60.82%
No (77)
21.1%
Not sure (66)
18.08%

Watched Threads