Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how much you revise really.

If you don't then its bloody hard.

ReputationRep:
    there's alot to take it but its interesting

so if your into biology its good

ReputationRep:
    I thoroughly recommend Biology at A Level, i've only just started the AS and i absolutely love it!!! It's definitely my favourite subject by a mile as it is so interesting and because you go into more detail it's far easier to understand! However, there's a LOT of things to remember, and it does require a lot of work on your part as there is so much to learn! But i definitely recommend it, it's so so so good!!! However, as Excalibur said, A Level Biology by itself is pretty pointless as anything requiring biology needs another science (most likely to be chemistry) so if it's open doors you want do biology with chemistry!!!

ReputationRep:
    it is not hard at all, you can do nothing all year prior to bout 3 weeks before the exam and just do past papers and you got yourself at least a B

ReputationRep:
    Biology, for me, is very hard and is soooooooooooooooooooo much to revise for, if you're not taking chemistry with it, I say don't do it if you think it's just an ok subject. If you really enjoy it, well good luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    biology is piss , i got 100 in one paper, and high 90's in others.

ReputationRep:
    im doing gcse right now and ive done 75% of my biology gcse and im on an A*. if i end up getting an A* as my final grade, do u think i would be able to achieve A in A level, because some people say its a whole different ball game but i really enjoy it so i think i should be capable?

ReputationRep:
    anyone could do well in biology IF they revise its really just remembering facts.

saying that i went from A* at gcse to B at as but i was 3 marks off an A or somthing and its obvious where i went wrong as i didnt really revise for 2008 january biology thinking it would be easy and got a C, the other two modules i got A's in with revision.

Also prepare for some of the most boring coursework ever (if you do aqa biology b)

ReputationRep:
    i'm currently taking psychology at as and i think that if i'm lucky i'll get a b for this year.
    i need to pick up another as and i was thinking of taking biology. the only thing is that i imagine it's really hard and i don't want to end up getting a **** grade and next to no ucas points, when the whole idea is to take up another as so i can get more.
    at gcse i only got three c's for science.
    bearing in mind i didn't revise AT ALL and i did my coursework in about two days and half of it was copied haha.
    okay so this makes me sound like a complete idiot, but it was school and i really didn't care about doing well then.
    the point is, now i do. and would it be completely stupid for me to take up biology, is it really that hard and boring?

ReputationRep:
    I got A at GCSE, a* in all modules...
    For AS I got a D with very little revision, upgraded that now to a B through retakes but on route to get a C for A2
    x

ReputationRep:
    ****, so i've basically got no chance of getting a decent grade then?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, there i need some advice. I am now finishing secondary school and want to go on to A levels.
    I was wondering if Physics and Biology go together as i am going to choose them.
    i want to become an engineer and know that maths is needed.
    i need help as i am going to choose:
    -Physics
    -Biology
    -Maths
    -Ecomomics

are these the right choices?
    do Physics and Biology work together?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's a *****, I wouldnt recommenend it. I got AA at GCSE (double science..) and I only got a C last year and I'm heading for an E/U in the A2 exams on friday. Although you'd have a new specification now, which is more applied and slightly easier. If you like it - do it.

ReputationRep:
    I hate biology!

Chemistry and physics <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by --Topher--)
    It's a *****, I wouldnt recommenend it. I got AA at GCSE (double science..) and I only got a C last year and I'm heading for an E/U in the A2 exams on friday. Although you'd have a new specification now, which is more applied and slightly easier. If you like it - do it.
    yeah i agree, it is a *****, i'm heading for E's and U's in friday exams as well...

i suppose it depends on how well you can remember facts and stuff though.

ReputationRep:
    I took biology at GCSE too and i got an A*, even though i got an A* i failed my first year at AS. This puts it into perspective abotu how hard it can be! I have just taken my last exam retake (as i retook the whole biology year)

If you work your ass of you can be fine, but no one in GCSE and AS level realises the jump from GCSE to a level, its HUGE!

Sorry to put a downer on things, but im just letting you know it is VERY hard, however if you put alot of work into it, as you go along the course ( DO NO leave all revision until two weeks before the exam) you might be ok

ReputationRep:
    i hate biology with all my heart, im at that stage of revision where i think im a plant

or maybe thats just the pro plus taking effect.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends what board you're with too. I'm with OCR and I find it to be not much harder than GCSE.
    It's also a lot more interesting, some parts can be a little dry but if you revise a lot you'll be able to pass with a good grade.
    Just don't start revising about 3 weeks prior the exam like most of my classmates did, because you will not be able to hack the work load.
    Make sufficient understandable notes after every lesson, and go over them each time you come to revise, good luck

ReputationRep:
    This must depend on the exam board you do because everyone is saying its easy, and that you have to just memorise stuff, but that is so not true for AQA. Only about 40% of the raw marks are for regurgitation. It is ****ing tough. I find it harder than Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    i guess im on your lines really, i got two B's for my GCSE sciences, but on both occasions, it was biology that let me down, i simply could not get higher than a C, and yet chemistry and physics i aced, but yeah biology is a great a level and it depends on what exam board you doing. im doing aqa and so so much emphasis is put on exam technique and answering accurately. if your answer is not on the mark scheme then they wont give you the full marks. thats the harsh reality of biology AS. Im just giving you a balanced view. good luck on your options and may it go well. what uni course are you planning on doing? any suggestions ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 24, 2018

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.