Turn on thread page Beta

how to get a grade C in gcse english controlled assessment? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have just done my descriptive writing controlled assessment and scored like 10 out of 20 marks, which i am kind of disappointed about. But i want to learn from where I went wrong to improve a lot better.

Any sort of help would do.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jemnyokun14)
    I have just done my descriptive writing controlled assessment and scored like 10 out of 20 marks, which i am kind of disappointed about. But i want to learn from where I went wrong to improve a lot better.

Any sort of help would do.

Thanks
    Last year when I was doing my English GCSE I did these too. I did AQA English and what I used is they have a mark scheme sorta that they use for marking controlled assessments that includes the different bands and what a candidate needs to do to get into that band, this is very useful so when planning my essays I would use it to guide me. I also liked to plan in detail and sometimes practice what I would write and then when it came to doing it I felt prepared, you can always get a parent or friend to read through a draft/plan and get their input this is always useful. I loved doing these English Language creative writing tasks I hope this helps, feel free to ask me if you have any more questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skye99)
    Last year when I was doing my English GCSE I did these too. I did AQA English and what I used is they have a mark scheme sorta that they use for marking controlled assessments that includes the different and what a candidate needs to do to get into that band, this is very useful so when planning my essays I would use it to guide me. I also liked to plan in detail and sometimes practice what I would write and then when it came to doing it I felt prepared, you can always get a parent or friend to read through a draft/plan and get their input this is always useful. I loved doing these English Language creative writing tasks I hope this helps, feel free to ask me if you have any more questions
    That's a great idea to use for practicing to write for my writing task-thanks!
    I have another question, what techniques/methods did you use to write out in the essay of the controlled assessment. For instance, the one i have just previously done was write to 'describe'... what are the main key techniques to use generally when writing in these controlled assessments?

again, thanks a lot, it really helped!

ReputationRep:
    Literally have to be able to spell your name properly and it's an automatic B

ReputationRep:
    Plan
    SPG
    Language techniques - metaphors, similes, sibilance, assonance, personification, oxymorons
    Pathetic fallacy
    Dramatic irony
    More complex and refined language and terms/jargon
    Structure (short sentences, ellipses)

tbh just remember those and you can wing the exam for writing, plus always aim high

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rustyldner)
    Plan
    SPG
    Language techniques - metaphors, similes, sibilance, assonance, personification, oxymorons
    Pathetic fallacy
    Dramatic irony

tbh just remember those and you can wing the exam for writing, plus always aim high
    To be entirely honest, coursework doesn't matter. I was in the bottom set for English last year, got Cs in all coirsework, but got A* in all the exams, so came out with A in both Language and Literature. Just do enough to pass in this, focus on writing fast, and improving your SP&G, acquire a large vocab through reading, and remember quotes and themes for Lit, and practise language techniques and analysing for Langauge. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousEric)
    To be entirely honest, coursework doesn't matter. I was in the bottom set for English last year, got Cs in all coirsework, but got A* in all the exams, so came out with A in both Language and Literature. Just do enough to pass in this, focus on writing fast, and improving your SP&G, acquire a large vocab through reading, and remember quotes and themes for Lit, and practise language techniques and analysing for Langauge. Good luck.
    thanks a lot, i will try my best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rustyldner)
    Plan
    SPG
    Pathetic fallacy
    Dramatic irony

this is very useful, thanks

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.