Turn on thread page Beta

How to leave current part-time job for one that pays better? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I've found a part-time job ad online that pays more than what I'm currently earning and has better hours that suit me more. The issue I'm having is that I haven't yet handed in a notice of leave letter as I haven't yet secured another job. I just don't know what to put down as the reason why I wish to leave. Do I tell the truth? If so, how do I phrase it? Also, other jobs apps are asking why I want to leave my current job and I'm facing the same dilemma there too. This is just part-time work I'm doing on the weekends to help with uni costs. If anyone has any tips that would be fantastic!

Thanks guys!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orange-giraffe)
    Hi everyone,

I've found a part-time job ad online that pays more than what I'm currently earning and has better hours that suit me more. The issue I'm having is that I haven't yet handed in a notice of leave letter. I just don't know what to put down as the reason why I wish to leave. Do I tell the truth? If so, how do I phrase it? Also, other jobs apps are asking why I want to leave my current jobs and I'm facing the same dilemma there too. This is just part-time work I'm doing on the weekends to help with uni costs. If anyone has any tips that would be fantastic!

Thanks guys!!
    Seems fishy....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp)
    Seems fishy....
    Fishy in what way?

(Original post by Orange-giraffe)
    Fishy in what way?
    Fishy as in phishing.

You leave a job by not bothering to do it anymore. You should tell your employer in advance if you do this, but people tend not to for low end schitt jobs.

ReputationRep:
    OK well in your resignation letter you don't need to put anything about why you're leaving. You can just put 'thank you for the opportunities, I've enjoyed working here' type stuff. If you're directly asked or really want to explain you can either make an excuse e.g. 'I need to concentrate on my studies' or you can tell the truth 'I've been offered a job which pays more/is better hours etc' - no one is going to think less of you for taking a better paid job, everyone will understand.

As far as why you want to leave your current job you really want to find a reason you want to work for that specific company or in that specific job role rather than bashing your current employer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.