The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Economics Offer Holders 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DWYY001
the ranking of the uni is based on the quality of research work, funding for research etc...

I do not ask about ranking, but about reputation. Why people think UCL is a good uni if teaching is poor? Why students still apply masively if satisfaction is low?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hope so,, thank u.
Original post by econprospective
I received an offer last week :smile: I applied on the 14th Oct, and the wait is stressful but I am sure you will receive an offer as your stats are so good!
Original post by econprospective
I received an offer last week :smile: I applied on the 14th Oct, and the wait is stressful but I am sure you will receive an offer as your stats are so good!

Stats?
Really? That late?
Original post by DWYY001
For L100, most of you will get the offer around Mar and you will be asked to attend an open day, for those who have received offer, please think twice before accepting the offer. The course is not what you think.

-~~~ from
2nd year Economist at UCL
Original post by KidDarkness
UCAS application sent off: 15th October
Received invitation to UCL open day for L100 Economics: 15th November
GCSEs: 12A*s 1A
AS Levels: Maths (A* - completed whole Maths A level in 1st year, so this year is whole Further Maths A level), German (A), Economics is linear so no AS
A level Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A* and A* in EPQ

Hey, I am currently struggling in finding a balance with school and my social life

I must first congratulate you with the results you've attained 🙂

But could you please tell me how many hours approximately you put in each day at school and after school to get those incredibly high grades in let's say a short period of time ( the way you did it with math)

Please also give me tips on how to get those extra marks (like extra reading)

Don't hesitate to dm me😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Any international applicant here with an offer?
Original post by malaikaxx
Hey, I am currently struggling in finding a balance with school and my social life

I must first congratulate you with the results you've attained 🙂

But could you please tell me how many hours approximately you put in each day at school and after school to get those incredibly high grades in let's say a short period of time ( the way you did it with math)

Please also give me tips on how to get those extra marks (like extra reading)

Don't hesitate to dm me😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

I had an a*a*a offer for a uni I really wanted to go to and so that motivated me to work until 9pm on a lot of nights studying. Don't let this scare you, I was never super naturally clever and always had to put more time in than others that could perhaps get the same grades, but sadly you have to work a lot to get them and usually a uni offer can be a huge motivator! Eventually I achieved a*a*a* and got into said uni (then dropped out lol)

So if you will allow me to offer you any advice, it would be past papers. Do all the past papers 3 times, record your scores etc. Read the mark schemes thoroughly and read the examiner reports. I found papers from the 1980s and did them for things like fp3, just keep finding more questions and do them.
Original post by Rabadon
Hey,

I had an a*a*a offer for a uni I really wanted to go to and so that motivated me to work until 9pm on a lot of nights studying. Don't let this scare you, I was never super naturally clever and always had to put more time in than others that could perhaps get the same grades, but sadly you have to work a lot to get them and usually a uni offer can be a huge motivator! Eventually I achieved a*a*a* and got into said uni (then dropped out lol)

So if you will allow me to offer you any advice, it would be past papers. Do all the past papers 3 times, record your scores etc. Read the mark schemes thoroughly and read the examiner reports. I found papers from the 1980s and did them for things like fp3, just keep finding more questions and do them.

So which universities have you applied for and what were the outcomes so far? (If you dont mind sharing)
Original post by Rabadon
Hey,

aha, thats real motivation there! And obv inspiration, em i was just thinking how did you go about actually getting the information to stick in your brain - as i find taking notes and transferring them to flash cards is probably the best method ive found but its so incredibly time consuming. And did you ever worry about not knowing minor bits of info encase you lost out on marks?
Original post by Fbiemad
So which universities have you applied for and what were the outcomes so far? (If you dont mind sharing)

Econ @ Kings/Bristol/UCL

offers from kings/bristol, waiting on ucl. Next q is probably why warwick etc? Want a city :tongue:

Original post by malaikaxx
aha, thats real motivation there! And obv inspiration, em i was just thinking how did you go about actually getting the information to stick in your brain - as i find taking notes and transferring them to flash cards is probably the best method ive found but its so incredibly time consuming. And did you ever worry about not knowing minor bits of info encase you lost out on marks?

Prob best to tell me what subjects you do. For maths/fm I just did loads of questions and past papers and that was enough for me to remember everything. For chemistry at AS I used flash cards but at A2 just kept reading through the textbook and like sort of predicting what the page will say so if it says below is the reaction when ethanol is refluxed i'd not read the reaction and try and like read it out before I read it if that makes sense LOL.
Original post by Rabadon
Econ @ Kings/Bristol/UCL

offers from kings/bristol, waiting on ucl. Next q is probably why warwick etc? Want a city :tongue:

Hey mate, may I ask you when did you apply and your grades? I also applied KCL UCL but I'm still waiting...
Reply 351
Original post by DWYY001
To make it simple, this is not the best to read Economics...
very poor quality of teaching/resources,
lectures held in hotel etc

Thanks, I am grateful for your input, and am still holding offers from UCL, Warwick and Durham, (and Nott as insurance) so am listening to what folks say in similar comparison threads to help my final decision, which is still looking to be UCL. I think what you say is true, but that's just the way it is, we know it is ranked low on some of these metrics. Sometimes the better the uni, and the better the students, the more they expect you to 'self learn'

LSE score even worse on some metrics, which is why I applied to UCL as my London uni, but did not apply to LSE. After attending a shadowing day at LSE and deciding after seeing what the experience was like at LSE. Nothing against LSE, I am just saying that I found UCL more interesting, including at their open day for offer holders.

There do not seem to be any easy, perfect options....

Which hall do you think is best? You can specify 2 preferences if going intercollegiate, I was thinking Garden or College which look close to the Econ building - or did you say they are using a hotel somewhere?
Original post by randj
Thanks, I am grateful for your input, and am still holding offers from UCL, Warwick and Durham, (and Nott as insurance) so am listening to what folks say in similar comparison threads to help my final decision, which is still looking to be UCL. I think what you say is true, but that's just the way it is, we know it is ranked low on some of these metrics. Sometimes the better the uni, and the better the students, the more they expect you to 'self learn'

LSE score even worse on some metrics, which is why I applied to UCL as my London uni, but did not apply to LSE. After attending a shadowing day at LSE and deciding after seeing what the experience was like at LSE. Nothing against LSE, I am just saying that I found UCL more interesting, including at their open day for offer holders.

There do not seem to be any easy, perfect options....

Which hall do you think is best? You can specify 2 preferences if going intercollegiate, I was thinking Garden or College which look close to the Econ building - or did you say they are using a hotel somewhere?

I agree, it is called the Royal National, sometimes ConwayHall, I would suggest the Garden Halls if you are going for intercollegiate.
Original post by apaulo5
Hey mate, may I ask you when did you apply and your grades? I also applied KCL UCL but I'm still waiting...

a*a*a* and mid november
Invited for BSc Economics L100 open day for offer holders on 8th February.

Does anyone know when they will tell us the offer condition? Don't know whether it is unconditional or not.

Date applied: 10/10/2016
Offer received: 25/1/2017
Date of open day: 8/2/2017
Courses I applied for: Economics & Economics and Statistics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fbiemad
Invited for BSc Economics L100 open day for offer holders on 8th February.

Does anyone know when they will tell us the offer condition? Don't know whether it is unconditional or not.

Applied on: 10/10/2016
Offer received: 25/1/2017
Courses: Economics & Economics and Statistics.

Finally; congrats!
Was it just the Econ then?
Original post by petermp
Finally; congrats!
Was it just the Econ then?

Thanks.
Yes, I have only heard back for the BSc Economics course. :smile:
They haven't replied about the Economics and Statistics yet.
@potatofudge , @KidDarkness, @economicsnerd

How long after the open day did they send you the offer conditions?
Original post by Fbiemad
Thanks.
Yes, I have only heard back for the BSc Economics course. :smile:
They haven't replied about the Economics and Statistics yet.

Doubt your Econ&Stats will be far behind then. Congrats again!
Any international aplocants heard from UCL for Econ ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending