University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Economics Offer Holders 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Teenage Hype
Oww, that's quite harsh.

Do you reckon they would accept A in maths and A* in further maths seeing that FM is harder than maths? I was a few UMS off an A* so I will be gutted if I got an A in maths again and A* in further maths.

I guess I might give them a call but I'd appreciate any comments on this.

Edit: Do they even respond via email? Cambridge didn't bother to reply to my email about grade requirements LOL

Maybe but fm isnt really harder than maths it's just all the applied modules if your doing Aqa burn maybe it's different for other boards. But I reckon it's pretty hard to get A* further math not maths as they usually try to Maxine the maths grade.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 81
Oww, that's quite harsh.

Do you reckon they would accept A in maths and A* in further maths seeing that FM is harder than maths? I was a few UMS off an A* so I will be gutted if I got an A in maths again and A* in further maths.

I guess I might give them a call but I'd appreciate any comments on this.

Edit: Do they even respond via email? Cambridge didn't bother to reply to my email about grade requirements LOL

I'd be surprised if they refused you because you got A* in FM and an A in Maths but there isn't anything on the website about that probably because it is so infrequent.
I'd just call them. I called Cambridge as well when I had questions regarding grades email is a much slower process and you don't always get the most detail you want. Cambridge were nice over the phone so no harm done by calling them.
Original post by Maceyf
Maybe but fm isnt really harder than maths it's just all the applied modules if your doing Aqa burn maybe it's different for other boards. But I reckon it's pretty hard to get A* further math not maths as they usually try to Maxine the maths grade.

I got 80+ in all modules in year 12 so my maths grade is maximised regardless, but I got 88 C3/86 C4, so I will have to get 180/200 this year which might not happen given the stress of having to get that score. I got 93/92 in S2/M2, so I only have to get 85 in either FP2/S3 which should be way easier for me.

So that's why I'm really concerned about this - not saying I can't get an A* in maths, but it will be harder given the stress and having to get 180+/200 this year.

Do you reckon I should give them a call/email? Thanks
This week last year, I got an offer for Economics and Statistics.
There is a chance they start giving those ones out soon.

I got 80+ in all modules in year 12 so my maths grade is maximised regardless, but I got 88 C3/86 C4, so I will have to get 180/200 this year which might not happen given the stress of having to get that score. I got 93/92 in S2/M2, so I only have to get 85 in either FP2/S3 which should be way easier for me.

So that's why I'm really concerned about this - not saying I can't get an A* in maths, but it will be harder given the stress and having to get 180+/200 this year.

Do you reckon I should give them a call/email? Thanks

Some universities accept A* in Further Maths instead of A* in Maths, but some don't and I have seen people who missed their offers for this reason. You are worried too much. Once you do FP3, the stuff in C3 and C4 become really easy. I had a friend who got 72% in C3 in AS, but then he got 100% when he retook it in A2. He did about 1 past paper per week throughout the year, nothing else. You already got a decent grade, so you can easily improve it.
Trust me, you can easily get an A* in Maths if you retake C3 and C4. :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by Fbiemad
This week last year, I got an offer for Economics and Statistics.
There is a chance they start giving those ones out soon.

Some universities accept A* in Further Maths instead of A* in Maths, but some don't and I have seen people who missed their offers for this reason. You are worried too much. Once you do FP3, the stuff in C3 and C4 become really easy. I had a friend who got 72% in C3 in AS, but then he got 100% when he retook it in A2. He did about 1 past paper per week throughout the year, nothing else. You already got a decent grade, so you can easily improve it.
Trust me, you can easily get an A* in Maths if you retake C3 and C4. :smile:

What offer did they give you and what were your GCSEs??
Also was your PS Econ/Stat divided or mostly Econ-centric? I'm kinda worried about that (applied to Econ+stat with pure Econ statement)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by petermp
What offer did they give you and what were your GCSEs??
Also was your PS Econ/Stat divided or mostly Econ-centric? I'm kinda worried about that (applied to Econ+stat with pure Econ statement)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mostly Economics related Personal Statement. IGCSE: 4A*, 2A.
They asked for AAA in Maths, Further Maths and Economics. I also studied Physics though, but they didn't consider it in the offer.
(This is for Economics and Statistics course)
Anyone got offer for Economics (L100) now??
Original post by carol_cheng

Received mine three days ago :smile:
I have to go to the open day before they give me an offer
Congratulation! May I know your AS results and predicted grades?

Original post by potatofudge
Received mine three days ago :smile:

Did you receive it now?
No, still waiting. My application status on portal is still application received. How about you?

Original post by Fbiemad
Did you receive it now?
No, still waiting. My application status on portal is still application received. How about you?

Same.
Original post by Fbiemad
Same.

Same here. Additionally, I think they will consider Internationals with neither IB nor A-Levels last (applies to me)
Reply 94
Original post by Teitchie
Same here. Additionally, I think they will consider Internationals with neither IB nor A-Levels last (applies to me)

It depends I suppose some places consider them first because they pay more in tuition fees
Original post by Maceyf
It depends I suppose some places consider them first because they pay more in tuition fees

I am an EU citizen. For entry in 2017, I still pay UK fees

Thank you for the insight
Original post by Maceyf

I doubt this is true. Maybe it might be for some low ranked universities, but I have seen a lot of UK applicants getting offers before internationals in the competitive universities, so I don't agree with that statement. :smile:

Original post by Teitchie
I am an EU citizen. For entry in 2017, I still pay UK fees

Thank you for the insight
Economics L100
-received invitation to open day on 15/11/16
- GCSEs 11A*s 3As
- AS 3As B
- A2 Predictions A*A*A (maths econ fm respectively)
- offer dependant on attending open day
Original post by DarkAvenger
Economics L100
-received invitation to open day on 15/11/16
- GCSEs 11A*s 3As
- AS 3As B
- A2 Predictions A*A*A (maths econ fm respectively)
- offer dependant on attending open day

Nice GCSE's :smile:

I think they have only accepted Further Maths people so far, or at the very least those with A* predictions.

My friend with A*A*A prediction (A in Maths) has not heard a reply as of yet.
Nice GCSE's :smile:

I think they have only accepted Further Maths people so far, or at the very least those with A* predictions.

My friend with A*A*A prediction (A in Maths) has not heard a reply as of yet.

Thanks!
That maybe because the entry requirements state an A* in Maths, maybe that's something they need to consider. But the admission process is really unpredictable as I wasn't expecting a reply to January, but I did lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending