The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Economics Offer Holders 2017

Scroll to see replies

Thank you so much. So in summary, I probably won't get accepted?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by EvNeedsHelp
Thank you so much. So in summary, I probably won't get accepted?

If you do not apply, then you definitely will not get in.

If you really like UCL, then apply, you have a chance with those predictions and if you achieve good results in year 12 . It's only one out of five applications

Just make sure you also apply to some relatively easier ones as well,
Original post by econprospective
The confirmation email was that they received my modular maths grades documents* (Sorry I didn't explicitly clarify that)

Hello :smile:,
I'm considering applying to UCL for Economics (2018 entry). From your post, I was wondering, do they ask for your Maths modular UMS grades when you apply? If so, at what point in the application does this happen?
Looking to apply for the L100 this year,

GCSE's : 3A*s, 6As, a B and a C
AS : A in Maths, B in Further (School only does AS for these)
A2 Predicts : A*A*AA (Maths, Econ, Further Maths, Eng Lit) + EPQ Predict A

Would I stand a reasonable chance of getting in with those GCSE's?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by KieranDrakes
Looking to apply for the L100 this year,

GCSE's : 3A*s, 6As, a B and a C
AS : A in Maths, B in Further (School only does AS for these)
A2 Predicts : A*A*AA (Maths, Econ, Further Maths, Eng Lit) + EPQ Predict A

Would I stand a reasonable chance of getting in with those GCSE's?

Thanks in advance!

Yes.
Try to get some relevant work experience. Join the RES, (only £10), and enter an economics essay competition such as the Marshall Soc at Cambridge. Sign up for the one day shadowing session at LSE (which confirmed to me that I did not want to go there but was interesting anyway). The book I mentioned in my PS was Thaler - turns out he is quite good.....
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by randj
Yes.
Try to get some relevant work experience. Join the RES, (only £10), and enter an economics essay competition such as the Marshall Soc at Cambridge. Sign up for the one day shadowing session at LSE (which confirmed to me that I did not want to go there but was interesting anyway). The book I mentioned in my PS was Thaler - turns out he is quite good.....

Thanks! I will look into it.
Original post by randj
Yes.

Hi, I submitted my UCAS just now and I mentioned about Richard Thaler as well, he is amazing!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nclzhans1
Hi, I submitted my UCAS just now and I mentioned about Richard Thaler as well, he is amazing!!
A brief question: I know UCL needs candidates to be good at maths and In my AS, I got 95,95,93 For my C1, C2, S1 respectively. However, for AS FM, I also got an A but my UMS are horrible! (83,73,69 in FP1, M1, D1). (My predictions are 3A* and an A in EPQ). Do you think I stand a chance? Thanks.

Sure you do. They want A* in maths, and you have that well covered. (But don't underestimate C3/4). And just make sure you get A or better in FM

I have had a couple of weeks of the course and already it is clear that as they say, yes, it is very heavy on maths. Some that did not do Further Maths are finding it hard, as it builds on that, and they go fast
(edited 6 years ago)
I applied on the 13th but haven't received confirmation, anyone else?
Reply 1169
Hi there

I was wondering whether there was an open day/interview for all economic applicants or not? I have received an offer but it doesn't mention it at all?
Original post by smhn
Hi there

I was wondering whether there was an open day/interview for all economic applicants or not? I have received an offer but it doesn't mention it at all?

No interview for any straight Economics course besides Cambridge because it's too oversubscribed. In previous years I read about some people having to go to an open day before getting the offer but if you didn't have to then you seemingly don't.
Reply 1171
Original post by Appleorpear
No interview for any straight Economics course besides Cambridge because it's too oversubscribed. In previous years I read about some people having to go to an open day before getting the offer but if you didn't have to then you seemingly don't.

Oh right then thanks
I got an offer yesterday at 17:00.
A*AA A*(maths)A(economics)
8A* 2A
4A* (biology, economics, maths and further maths)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by smhn
Hi there

Last year my offer was conditional on attending an 'offer holders' open day but it was just that, an opportunity for them to sell us on the uni and make it our first choice. They ended up being oversubscribed so not surprising that they are not bothering this year. Definitely no interview.
Reply 1174
Original post by randj
Last year my offer was conditional on attending an 'offer holders' open day but it was just that, an opportunity for them to sell us on the uni and make it our first choice. They ended up being oversubscribed so not surprising that they are not bothering this year. Definitely no interview.

That's great to hear, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending