Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Speaking to a few mates of mine it seems like I'm not the only one regretting dropping a certain subject. I think now that it's coming to that time when I have to make a decision as to what I want to study at uni I'm having a hard time narrowing stuff down...

I took sciences (bio, chem, maths) and literature for my AS levels, and I really regret dropping german now. I really liked that subject and it improves your employability so much if you can speak a lang.

So that's me. I wish I'd not taken maths and I wish I'd taken sociology and german (too many subjects, but neh).

Anyone else looking back with a tinge of regret?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie)
    So that's me. I wish I'd not taken maths and I wish I'd taken sociology and german (too many subjects, but neh).
    Hmm... i wish i'd heeded my teachers' advice and not dropped Maths and Physics in favour of Art and English!!! But nevermind!

ReputationRep:
    I wish I took 5 subjects rather than 4 and hadn't taken Media (as no-one respects it :mad: ), I would've taken Politics and Further Maths instead.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had continued German to A-level, as I know I would have done well. But I already chose French, and had to do three other sciences (Bio/Chem/Maths) because I'm going to study medicine at uni (and I knew that I wanted to in Yr 11 when I made my choices). I don't regret choosing French instead of German; I just wish I could have done German as well.

ReputationRep:
    I regret dropping French, but it was French or computing and I love programming. I regret not taking Modern Studies instead of physics which would be a lot more useful for my degree plans.

ReputationRep:
    Occasionaly I regret dropping English Lang/Lit since I've had so many problems with psychology - and it isn't greatly respected - but then again, I still may have had problems taking it.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I done 12 units for my AVCE instead of 18 and then done an A level in business or something...

ReputationRep:
    never dropped any subjects continued all 5 of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    I wish I had continued German to A-level, as I know I would have done well. But I already chose French, and had to do three other sciences (Bio/Chem/Maths) because I'm going to study medicine at uni (and I knew that I wanted to in Yr 11 when I made my choices). I don't regret choosing French instead of German; I just wish I could have done German as well.
    Yeh, I had the whole medicine thing in mind, and I still might probably apply for it, but the more work experience and voluntary work I do.......

I really wanted the people contact from medicine, but as I've changed a lot this year I'm not so sure. I think a lot of medics and wannabes are often quite obsessed with their work. That's not to say that's not a good thing...... I'm just not sure I can actually sacrifice a 'normal' life for medicine. That said, straight science would bore me to tears after a few years I'm sure, so I'm still shopping around for a career!

ReputationRep:
    I regret staying at my sixth form for a yeah

ReputationRep:
    I wish I hadn't taken Economics at AS and had done Chemistry or Physics instead, which I could have continued with - would have opened up my options sooo much. And I wish I had told my school before summer that I wanted to take up something else at AS too and teach myself, other then just Further Maths. Lots of regrets there. =/

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I had the whole medicine thing in mind, and I still might probably apply for it, but the more work experience and voluntary work I do.......!
    Yep, you have got to have at least some work experience under your belt if you are to be even considered by universities

I really wanted the people contact from medicine, but as I've changed a lot this year I'm not so sure. I think a lot of medics and wannabes are often quite obsessed with their work. That's not to say that's not a good thing...... I'm just not sure I can actually sacrifice a 'normal' life for medicine. That said, straight science would bore me to tears after a few years I'm sure, so I'm still shopping around for a career!
    I would tend to disagree on the whole. I don't think it's necessary to sacrifice a 'normal' life for medicine at all. My dad's an anaesthetist, and sure, he spends a lot of time at the hospital, but I would say he still makes time for other thing (holidays, going to the cinema etc). Although I must admit, most medics are passionate about their job.You have to be! But of course, it's easy to get so passionate about helping others that you lose out on the more lighthearted parts of everyday life. The important thing is to try to keep a balance (this evidently applies to life itself, but especially if you're working in the medical profession).

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else looking back with a tinge of regret?
    First of all i wanted to do French, maths, geography and psychology. I then changed my mind and wanted to do English language, psychology, geography and chemistry. Then i changed my mind again and did English language, sociology, geography and biology. I don't know why i chose a science as i've never been great at them and i often wish i took maths instead. But that doesn't matter now as i am probably dropping biology after i get my AS results. Not taking a language is something i sort of regret. I was given a lot of encouragement to take French or German as i got an A* in French and an A in German and has always had a flair for languages, but i'd heard the 'horror stories' and decided i wouldn't be able to cope. What i do not regret is switching chemistry to something else! And i'm glad i chose sociology because it's really interesting. English language i would drop if i had the choice but i don't because i'm going to drop biology and i need 3 ALs obviously.

ReputationRep:

1. I regret being forced to do 4 AS levels because i was ill when i started sixth form and knew i wouldn't handle them all. I was right.
    2. I wish i had been able to carry on with Eng lit to A2 level as it was my strongest subject but i was so focused on medicine and sociology was easier.
    3. I wish i had gone to a new sixth form college because i could have made a new start.

i regret not sticking with science based subjects (probably chemistry and geography) on some levels because i find them easier instead of struggling with english and being not so good at art. But i probably would have regreted taking them if i did because i like being creative..

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to carry on French and German as well, but I just continued reading and learning it on my own...doing the language A-level isn't actually necessary.

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.