Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about applying here to do English Lang and Lit, but also have a lot of other unis I like the look of, so what should make me choose Brighton over everywhere else? Is the nightlife good?
    Is the town big/bustling atmosphere?
    Is it really cold and windy in the winter, considering it's by the sea, and does this make it unpleasant?
    Are the accommodation and campus buildings nice places to spend lots of time?
    Are the lectures and other students generally enthusiastic/dedicated?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Bit late but i'll answer what I can seen as no one else has bothered too, this forums activity is quite depressing really.

(Original post by SabbyCat)
    Is the nightlife good?
    Provided you're not into some really specific sub-genre, there's guaranteed to be a place for you from what I've seen so far. Brightons always lively at night regardless of what day of the week it is, there is several not only big clubs & pubs but also hidden gems laid around all over the place, you've just got to find them. Prices aren't bad too, especially on student nights.

Is the town big/bustling atmosphere?
    English Lit is taught at Falmer I'm pretty sure, which is like 10 minutes from Brighton by train & 25 or so by bus, point is Falmers out of the way so don't expect much if you plan on living up there. In Brighton town centre however there's plenty to see and do, Brighton is popular amongst tourist after all.

Is it really cold and windy in the winter, considering it's by the sea, and does this make it unpleasant?
    Ha, you wont be affected by the 'sea breeze' unless you are close to the seafront, which some of the clubs are... so I'd say only if you're there at 5 in the morning with next to nothing on then yes it can be quite unpleasant.

Are the accommodation and campus buildings nice places to spend lots of time?
    I'm not in halls, haven't been to any halls & am not at the campus you would be studying so I can't really comment. The short time I did pass thru Falmer though I was quite impressed... it looked decent from the outside. Though I myself am curious how having that massive football stadium basically joined to it affects everything on match days especially...

Are the lectures and other students generally enthusiastic/dedicated?
    Every course every year is filled with different people, the main thing I can say to you is don't worry about other students and just do you. In my case I have 1 lecturer who likes to go off on irrelevant tangents sometimes but still the level of teaching is ok & they're easy to get hold of should you have any problems after.

Hopefully I've helped a lil, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Brighton
    Eastbourne campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
  2. University of Brighton
    Brighton Falmer campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  3. University of Brighton
    Brighton Grand Parade campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.