Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We are in the process of designing and building our new science block.

I had the idea to have a central still for making and storing distilled water, then run pipes around the building to give distilled water on tap in each lab.

Does anyone know of anywhere that does this? Does anyone know of anywhere that has tried it, but it was unsuccessful? Or any reason why it wouldn't work, e.g. contamination (from where?), inability to clean out the lines (why would they need cleaning?) Legionnaires (how could it live in distilled?) etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)

I had the idea to have a central still for making and storing distilled water, then run pipes around the building to give distilled water on tap in each lab.

Does anyone know of anywhere that does this? Does anyone know of anywhere that has tried it, but it was unsuccessful? Or any reason why it wouldn't work, e.g. contamination (from where?), inability to clean out the lines (why would they need cleaning?) Legionnaires (how could it live in distilled?) etc. etc.
    I'm not sure how it's done but the teaching labs at Cambridge have distilled water on tap.

I would think if anything DW pipes would need less cleaning than normal water pipes?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Pigster)

Energetically, I would think that distillation would not be as cost effective as deionising filters.

We had a 3 KW still that was forever tripping the fuses and produced relatively small quantities of water compared to energy consumption. It was rapidly consigned to the museum.

In the summer, I use the condensation output of the air conditioning systems, which does the job nicely. It just means that I need a lot (and I mean a lot) of plastic bottles, however the school kitchens usually obliges with the mineral water 5 litre jobs.

However, it helps that I'm in a hot country ... not much call for AC in the UK until global warming really kicks in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Energetically...
    We use distilled now, but that wasn't what I hoping to ask for in my Q. I was more interested in the possible impossibilities of piping the water, rather than carrying it in plastic bottles as we do now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 3, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.