The Student Room Group

External student funding HELP ME

Hi guys , I'm a computer science student at Sheffield Hallam , so because of mental health issues I've managed to fail 3 out of 6 modules which made me ineligible to progress to final year, meaning this year I'm technically not in attendance while I'm prepping for remakes, I was told last year that I would still be able to get funding from sfe so I applied for finance again , only to find out that my loan hasn't been sent because I'm not eligible as a external student. I've already signed the housing contract assuming that I would have funding.
I've contacted my university to see if there's anything they can do , but if I can't get funding I have no idea how I'm going to survive the year , my depression is bad enough without funding being taken away from me , am I really supposed to get a job to earn enough to live and pay rent while preparing for my resits which is essentially a full time job itself? I'm really worried , is there funding I can get for exceptional circumstances ? I just need funding for this year and enough time to get my **** together then I'll be fine, I'm worried about what I might do if I can't get funding, please help
Original post by TheAdmiral
Hi guys , I'm a computer science student at Sheffield Hallam , so because of mental health issues I've managed to fail 3 out of 6 modules which made me ineligible to progress to final year, meaning this year I'm technically not in attendance while I'm prepping for remakes, I was told last year that I would still be able to get funding from sfe so I applied for finance again , only to find out that my loan hasn't been sent because I'm not eligible as a external student. I've already signed the housing contract assuming that I would have funding.
I've contacted my university to see if there's anything they can do , but if I can't get funding I have no idea how I'm going to survive the year , my depression is bad enough without funding being taken away from me , am I really supposed to get a job to earn enough to live and pay rent while preparing for my resits which is essentially a full time job itself? I'm really worried , is there funding I can get for exceptional circumstances ? I just need funding for this year and enough time to get my **** together then I'll be fine, I'm worried about what I might do if I can't get funding, please help

You were poorly advised I'm afraid - as an external non-attending student you aren't eligible for student finance and you're also not eligible for JSA or other benefits.

Speak to your university student funding/finance team and your university disability services - they might be able to help get you some support or to change your status for this year to be an attending student (which would make you eligible depending on how your university report your status to SLC).

https://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk/ is also worth a look to see if you're eligible for any small grants/loans from charitable trusts based on your personal circumstances.
Reply 2
My daughter is 19 in october and going back to cillege as a external student will i get any help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending