Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys!

I have a laptop which has the following main specifications.

>Model: Acer Aspire E1-572
    >Intel Core i5-4200U 1.6GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
    >Intel HD Graphics 4400 up to 1792MB Dynamic Video Memory
    >15.6" HD LED LCD
    >6GB DDR3L RAM Memory
    >750GB HDD

Which of the either listed options below should I go with?
    Option 1: Upgrade HDD to 750GB SSD and RAM to 16GB DDR3L total costing around £210.
    OR..
    Option 2: Save that money. Sell my laptop and get a new one for around £400?
    (Which may not have enough SSD and RAM if compared to the upgrade options but would have a significant increase (probably) in processor and graphics on this new laptop)

What I use the laptop for and why I am in need for a change?

I multi-task a lot. A LOT. I could have countless tabs opened up on chrome. Photoshop running in the background. Visual Studio 2015 also simultaneously running. So far no problems but having any more applications opened up such as Virtual Machine running OS X in conjunction with Visual Studio, the performance takes a big hit. So much so that a lot of blood drains out.
    Additional Note: I will be acquiring a MacBook soon for most of my editing work later but for now, I need a solid Windows computer.

Your valuable advice will be greatly taken into consideration.

Thank You.

ReputationRep:
    You won't likely get better then a 4th gen I5 in a laptop for less then £400. The SSD and ram would probably be the better upgrade. Remember that laptop processors aren't as good as their desktop brothers.

I would suggest opening the task manger and seeing if it's the ram that's being used up or not. If it is it's a much cheaper thing to upgrade then looking into new laptops.

Monitor it and make the decision when you know what's happening.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The RAM and SSD upgrade will be better for you at this point, laptops are fairly expensive nowadays and a £400 won't be any vast improvement over your current machine. At best you'll get 8GB of RAM and maybe a very low end GPU if you're lucky.

Worth noting though is that if you are a huge multitasker or you're using intensive programs like Photoshop the CPU will become your bottleneck. Luckily the 4200U is a good CPU, if a little outdated but it's still only a dual core.

Also be careful if you intend to outright transfer your OS from the HDD to the SSD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    The RAM and SSD upgrade will be better for you at this point...
    I would like to thank you for your input.
    I will be using the cloning kit provided by crucial to make the transfer from hdd to SSD.
    I have read somewhere that it won't be as fast as installing everything from the beginning on an SSD.

Thank You.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeGuyHere)
    You won't likely get better then a 4th gen I5 in a laptop for less then £400...
    Thank you sir for your advice. I will definitely monitor my system usage.
    So you recommend for me to upgrade at this point?

Thank You.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyNameIsUsername)
    Thank you sir for your advice. I will definitely monitor my system usage.
    So you recommend for me to upgrade at this point?

Thank You.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't recommend you upgrading. Keep an eye on usage and if it's your ram being used (over 70% constantly) buy more. With your budget you're not likely to get a better laptop.

I would simply suggest shutting chrome or photoshop when you aren't using them. Sometimes it's the easiest solution and in this case will save you £500.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MyNameIsUsername)
    I have read somewhere that it won't be as fast as installing everything from the beginning on an SSD.
    This is correct, installing fresh will give you better performance overall. If you're happy with how it clones you can just leave it at that though. If you're interested in getting the best performance for your money then you'd benefit from a scratch install. It also allows you to tidy up your system.

ReputationRep:
    Use the money you'd waste on a macbook and build a proper desktop PC. I don't know why the hell you'd want to edit images and video on a laptop.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 3, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.