Who's "we"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Who's "we"?
    Students

ReputationRep:
    students

ReputationRep:
    I would say not very, there are few people who can work during the summer other than students.

ReputationRep:
    I think the thing that puts student at a disadvantage when trying to get summer work is the fact that they can only work for the summer. I've applied for soooo many jobs since i got back from uni but as yet haven't heard anything postive from any of them. Which is a bit crap lol! I've hardly seen any ad's for people who want summer workers so i've been applying for 'normal' jobs as well (in shops etc) and not saying (directly) that i only wanna work for the summer but its kind of obvious when the uni on my cv is miles away from my home town. Grr...it's really starting to get me down now because i'm spending so much time just doing nothing and as if at the end of the holidays i'll have absolutly nothing to show for it (well other than my indepth knowledge of cash in the attic...!)

ReputationRep:
    Problem is, it's a bit late now. Employers like the students who can work the longest time. I always sorted out summer jobs around Easter time. I worked for Camp America, Newcastle Uni, a cinema and Marks and Sparks in my summer and Christmas holidays. My sister has worked for superdrug and the job centre. Shops like M&S will take students on because when you go back to uni you can transfer to another shop closer to uni. So at this late stage that's where I would suggest. Chain stores. If you live in a rural area there might be seasonal work fruit picking and stuff. Otherwise try a temping agency. one of my friends got a job making meals in a prison through an agency! It was quite well paid.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, its a question of how well you can lie. In my experience most jobs in retail don't check refrences, so if you're a bit colourfull with your CV then you should'nt have a problem finding a job.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.