The Student Room Group

Does chinese count as a subject for me?

Hey guys. I am from Shanghai and my first language is mandarin, however i hold a British passport. I am currently taking psychology, photography and music for my a levels, i dont have chinese classes but im still taking the chinese exam in May for alevel. I really want to drop psychology but im afraid if chinese doesnt count as a subject for me. So im asking if you guys know anything?And I am applying photography for uni, and i have IGCSE english grade B and achieved 7 in ielts if that helps... thanks guys.
Original post by StephanieMak
Hey guys. I am from Shanghai and my first language is mandarin, however i hold a British passport. I am currently taking psychology, photography and music for my a levels, i dont have chinese classes but im still taking the chinese exam in May for alevel. I really want to drop psychology but im afraid if chinese doesnt count as a subject for me. So im asking if you guys know anything?And I am applying photography for uni, and i have IGCSE english grade B and achieved 7 in ielts if that helps... thanks guys.

Hi, of course Chinese counts as a subject! Are you wanting to drop psychology because you don't like it?

Different universities will have different policies on this, try checking the websites of universities you may be interested in.
yea its too difficult for me :frown:
Original post by johnlin2000
Hi, of course Chinese counts as a subject! Are you wanting to drop psychology because you don't like it?
ok. thank you
Original post by DarkEnergy
Different universities will have different policies on this, try checking the websites of universities you may be interested in.

The reason it is sometimes not accepted is that A Level Chinese is designed to be studied by non-native speakers. it should be incredibly easy for a native Mandarin speaker to achieve the top grades. As a result, it may not be a useful indicator of your academic potential. On the other hand, if you have learned Mandarin as a second language while living in China that would be viewed differently.

Where you plan to apply for university and what you hope to study will be important. Contact admissions staff at your target universities and clearly explain your situation before you make a decision.
I applied for University of the arts London as my first choice, however i am willing to go to Canada for university. I applied for University of toronto, OCAD and Ryerson university, all for Photography course. But i cant find any information about saying that if chinese counts as a subject. But i also hold a british passport, will it count as a second language for me?
Original post by gdunne42
The reason it is sometimes not accepted is that A Level Chinese is designed to be studied by non-native speakers. it should be incredibly easy for a native Mandarin speaker to achieve the top grades. As a result, it may not be a useful indicator of your academic potential. On the other hand, if you have learned Mandarin as a second language while living in China that would be viewed differently.

Where you plan to apply for university and what you hope to study will be important. Contact admissions staff at your target universities and clearly explain your situation before you make a decision.
I applied for University of the arts London as my first choice, however i am willing to go to Canada for university. I applied for University of toronto, OCAD and Ryerson university, all for Photography course. But i cant find any information about saying that if chinese counts as a subject. But i also hold a british passport, will it count as a second language for me?

You need to contact admissions staff at those universities and ask them.
My guess is that they are going to be more concerned with your artistic, creative and technical expertise than your academics so they will be ok with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Wrong.. wrong.. wrong~

The correct way of seeing the problem is: Do you count as a subject compared to the Chinese empire~ ?

They are over 1.4 billion in number~!!!
.-.

You'll need to check with the universities you're applying to because this varies on a university-by-university basis. For instance, a quick google search shows that Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and RHUL do accept it, UCL only accepts it as a fourth A Level, Durham says they will consider it on a case-by-case basis and QMUL says they will not accept it.
you see the words above the number 28? What do they mean. That number can be changed from 1 to 30. I guessing it's some kind of time boost or something?
(edited 7 years ago)
the word above 28 is 'pipe' the 28 is time. In minutes. the chinese word on the left is BeiJing time.
Original post by flux capacitor
you see the words above the number 28? What do they mean. That number can be changed from 1 to 30. I guessing it's some kind of time boost or something?
Thanks!!
Original post by Plagioclase
You'll need to check with the universities you're applying to because this varies on a university-by-university basis. For instance, a quick google search shows that Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and RHUL do accept it, UCL only accepts it as a fourth A Level, Durham says they will consider it on a case-by-case basis and QMUL says they will not accept it.
Yea, i'll contact them directly. Thanks.
Original post by gdunne42
You need to contact admissions staff at those universities and ask them.
My guess is that they are going to be more concerned with your artistic, creative and technical expertise than your academics so they will be ok with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ok I'm not looking for you to translate the whole thing. I just need you to scan read it and see if you can fix this problem.

There might be a setting or something that I have not been able to find by trial and error.

This unit is a solar water heater. It has a tank. The tank fills up with water. The unit will tell you if it's 20/50/80/100 full.

Now if the tank is 20 percent full I expect the solenoid valve to come on and let water in. When it's 100 percent I expect it to cut off turning the water off - it seems to be doing the opposite! There are solenoids that will work in the opposite fashion but this is a kit and it came with it. There must be a way in the settings. Unless I'm completely off.

Thanks
Original post by flux capacitor
ok I'm not looking for you to translate the whole thing. I just need you to scan read it and see if you can fix this problem.

There might be a setting or something that I have not been able to find by trial and error.

This unit is a solar water heater. It has a tank. The tank fills up with water. The unit will tell you if it's 20/50/80/100 full.

Now if the tank is 20 percent full I expect the solenoid valve to come on and let water in. When it's 100 percent I expect it to cut off turning the water off - it seems to be doing the opposite! There are solenoids that will work in the opposite fashion but this is a kit and it came with it. There must be a way in the settings. Unless I'm completely off.

Thanks

Use google translate or pay for a translation and stop derailing the thread.
Original post by PQ
Use google translate or pay for a translation and stop derailing the thread.

I was hoping there was something like this. When I offered to p. my post was deleted.

Will try to find it, thanks.
Original post by Plagioclase

where does it say this??im interested in this as well but cant find on websites of sheffield,liverpool etc

Latest