Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Evening everyone,
    I found out earlier today that my application for the ambulance service has been unsuccessful due to my math grade, they ask that you have either National 4 or Standard Grade pass Level 3 or above in Maths and English (English i have)

When i was at school 16 years ago, i got Standard Grade 5, i then retook math whilst in the Navy and got GCSE grade D, so as you can see i am rubbish at math!
    I was also awarded a City and Guilds for Communication and Application of Number level 2 which i thought satisfied the math requirement as an alternative qualification, unfortunately it didn't :-(

So now i am having a major 'what the hell do i do now' moment!
    Does anyone know if you can take night classes/part time classes anywhere in or near Dundee or can tell me what would be the better option- doing the National 4 or the Standard Grade? Can it be done online?
    Things have changed quite a bit since i was at school, i have only just heard about these National grades!

I have just been looking at Math tutors in my area and am considering messaging them as math has always been my weak point.

Help!!!

ReputationRep:
    You can buy student textbooks and revision guides on websites like Amazon and eBay or in book shops like Waterstones (I personally saw them in there yesterday evening).

You can work through them, perhaps have some tutoring sessions too as it can't hurt, then arrange to sit the exam (which you will have to pay for) privately.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how it works in Scotland but in England you. An go to college for free for maths and English if you've not already got a C or better. You'd be best of contacting colleges and see what they say. Failing that you could always buy the textbooks and teach yourself then go to s private exam centre in England for the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My husband is in the same boat in amb service although he already works for them but was looking to move on but needs national 4 in english and maths. we found a college for nat 4 maths but not english. struggling big time. How did you get on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacqui1980)
    My husband is in the same boat in amb service although he already works for them but was looking to move on but needs national 4 in english and maths. we found a college for nat 4 maths but not english. struggling big time. How did you get on?
    Hi there,

I contacted my local college (Dundee and Angus) as they have a National 4 Maths distance learning course starting in Aug next year, i'm gutted at having to wait till August and then a year to complete the course but i guess it's my best option unfortunately.
    If you are struggling to find a course for Nat 4 English then have you considered checking with Scottish Ambulance recruitment to see if a GCSE grade is acceptable? That way your husband can do an online/distance learning course and then all he would have to do is book in with an exam centre (there is one in Edinburgh that takes Nationals/Standard Grades and GCSE's).
    That was the other option i was considering as it could have meant sitting the exam in the summer thus greatly speeding up the whole process!

Hope this has been of some use, if you are interested in any of the GCSE stuff then let me know and i'll dig out a link for the websites.

Nicky

ReputationRep:
    Just take it as a private exam. Getting a C in GCSE maths is not hard for a motivated person. There are endless amounts of videos and resources on the web. Im not sure on the situation in Scotland but for GCSEs it gets trickier from next year with the new curriculum.

(Original post by Nicky83)
    Hi there,

I contacted my local college (Dundee and Angus) as they have a National 4 Maths distance learning course starting in Aug next year, i'm gutted at having to wait till August and then a year to complete the course but i guess it's my best option unfortunately.
    If you are struggling to find a course for Nat 4 English then have you considered checking with Scottish Ambulance recruitment to see if a GCSE grade is acceptable? That way your husband can do an online/distance learning course and then all he would have to do is book in with an exam centre (there is one in Edinburgh that takes Nationals/Standard Grades and GCSE's).
    That was the other option i was considering as it could have meant sitting the exam in the summer thus greatly speeding up the whole process!

Hope this has been of some use, if you are interested in any of the GCSE stuff then let me know and i'll dig out a link for the websites.

Nicky

ReputationRep:
    Hes been in touch and they wont accept anything other than Nat 4 in english and math. He has found a Nat 4 Math in a local college, 18wk course starting end of Jzanuary, I will look into private exam then he could hire a tutor for the Nat 4 English

Thanks for your replies

ReputationRep:
    Standard Grades no longer exist in Scotland, so it would have to be National 4. This course is not graded and is now sinply a pass or fail.

You need to complete 3 units of work, each with its own little assessment and then a final exam called an Added Value Unit (AVU).

Get in touch will a college about this - the good news is that the AVU final exam is an internal one, meaning it can be sat at any time at the discretion of the school/college, so you don't need to wait for a set SQA exam date.

Good luck!

(Original post by Nicky83)
    Evening everyone,
    I found out earlier today that my application for the ambulance service has been unsuccessful due to my math grade, they ask that you have either National 4 or Standard Grade pass Level 3 or above in Maths and English (English i have)

When i was at school 16 years ago, i got Standard Grade 5, i then retook math whilst in the Navy and got GCSE grade D, so as you can see i am rubbish at math!
    I was also awarded a City and Guilds for Communication and Application of Number level 2 which i thought satisfied the math requirement as an alternative qualification, unfortunately it didn't :-(

So now i am having a major 'what the hell do i do now' moment!
    Does anyone know if you can take night classes/part time classes anywhere in or near Dundee or can tell me what would be the better option- doing the National 4 or the Standard Grade? Can it be done online?
    Things have changed quite a bit since i was at school, i have only just heard about these National grades!

I have just been looking at Math tutors in my area and am considering messaging them as math has always been my weak point.

Help!!!
    "Math" ... *twitch* ...

Night school. Though it sounds like you're not cut out to me a mathematician anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Standard Grades no longer exist in Scotland, so it would have to be National 4. This course is not graded and is now sinply a pass or fail.

You need to complete 3 units of work, each with its own little assessment and then a final exam called an Added Value Unit (AVU).

Get in touch will a college about this - the good news is that the AVU final exam is an internal one, meaning it can be sat at any time at the discretion of the school/college, so you don't need to wait for a set SQA exam date.

Good luck!

Ah ok, thats good info thanks. Will have to start phoning about I think
    x

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm in a similar situation. Where do you take the private exams if you do it this way? How do you book them etc.?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 23, 2017
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.