The Student Room Group

Feeling Depressed At Uni

I am a first year student, I already have anixety and have had it before I started at uni. I live in halls. But I hate it, I don;t like my flatmates. I have no friends, despite talking to people and joining societies, I haven't clicked with anyone.
I go home every weekend and I feel so much happier, if I had to stay at halls over the weekend I think I would be much worse than I am now. When I get back on Monday morning from the weekend at home I feel miserable again. I enjoy the course and all that and am not having any issues regarding that.
My parents and I thought I should try out halls for first year, I thought I would be okay, I fell for the propaganda put forward by the uni, the one that made you believe everyone would settle and be happy. But I was wrong. I hate it. I have a countdown to when I can go home at weekends. I can't wait for the christmas break.
People are already talking about second year accomodation, as I have had such a bad time in halls I feel that I will not be comfortable in a house share. Especially as I haven't made any friends. I don't think even if I do make friends, I'd feel ready to move in with them. So I am thinking of commuting for next year. My parents do say this is an option, but it is best to wait until the reapplication of student finance to commit to a decision. But in my mind I have committed to this. I want to be independent, I think if I didn't have to share with people I don't like and was on my own or with someone I knew very well I wouldn't be having this issue, for instance, I'd be happy to share a flat with my sister. But financial issues mean this isn't possible for the time being.
I was wondering if someone else is going through a similar expereince.
BTW the commute would be a 40 min train. I find this would be manageable.
Heyy. I'm in a similar dilemma. I am currently applying for uni and am unsure on whether to get accommodation or to commute. I also have anxiety but found it has got much better since seeing a therapist. I think you should try and see if there is any way you can commute for the rest of this year instead of staying at uni if it's triggering your anxiety. However it is still very much early days and you may find that you may begin to enjoy staying in uni accommodation if you try it out for a bit longer. Hope this helps. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest